• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Paultons Park: General Discussion

Cat O Pillar is near the back of the park where some of the older rides are. I expect many of these will get removed. I think Thier next coaster really needs to be a step up from Storm Chaser otherwise there is no point. Something like an Intamin Hot Racer would do the job.

It will probably be 2026 before I visit again as the park is the other end of the country for me but the Vikings area should be open. I'm surprised nothing more has come out about the new coaster or what it could be.

Paulton’s as long as kids growing up keep on watching Peppa pig that area will always be the main draw to the park as parents know there kids will be free to they hit 1m. It’s like Drayton with Thomas land and Thomas been 80 years old next year nearly every visitor grew up with Thomas and Friends and many said after they removed G Force, Pandemonium, Apocalypse and making shockwave into a 1.2m sit down coaster the park will end up like American Adventure but no they looked at Paulton’s park and gone down there route instead and now both are doing great and making a profit.

Paultons Park's upcoming Ghostly Manor will have a compact footprint, but will perhaps make up for it for it with its external theming and likely being the most sophisticated dark ride in the UK.

Yes, Paultons Park is in clear transition and maybe more like what Chessington was after the turn of the Millennia, with a large wing of it looking oddly barren and dated (where the Edge is) and Critters Creek was a somewhat bodged practice run at more immersive theming, however its transition or expansion seems smoother than at Merlin's parks, and they manage the basics better...

And while Merlin is "paying the piper" in the 2020s for their parks being tired and lambasted for petty consumer inconveniences (that can add up), they're not fools either with the dramatic unveiling of the Hyperia and Nemesis Reborn, etc (making me excited for what Paultons will put around the Cobra and new Viking areas in contrast).

Paultons being dead flat is fine by me (and makes it less of a slog to get around for parents with pushchairs, the elderly, and disabled).

Last edited:
here we go batman GIF

It's really expensive! This is partially offset by the lack of parking charges, fastpass upcharges and reasonably priced food, but an online price of £43.50 for an off-peak weekday in October seems a hard sell to me. Annual passes with no restrictions on weekends and school holidays are equivalent to a Merlin Platinum Pass.
Or are the Merlin parks really cheap?

Or are the Merlin parks really cheap?
In fairness, he never claimed that Merlin parks are cheap.

In the UK we have a tendency, due to Merlin having the monopoly, of comparing everything to what Merlin do, which is understandable, given their dominance in the UK.

I do however think it detracts from people being able to make valid criticisms of Paultons. Like people have said, Paultons aren’t perfect and they know they aren’t but I do think that the park want to hear feedback, good and bad, to help them improve. This is perhaps a reason why they reached out to enthusiasts with the Super Fans day.

Whenever I’ve ever made any criticism of Paultons however, it nearly always results in at least one person responding “but they’re not as bad as Merlin”, something which I’ve never claimed that they are.

I never claimed I thought Paultons was expensive compared to Merlin, just that it's expensive. It's expensive when judged according to its own merit - a well presented family park but without the ride hardware (currently) to really take its place as one of the UK's top theme parks. It's an expensive day out when compared to similar, non-ride attractions as well such as zoos, aquariums and historical monuments. They don't really go in for deals either so what you pay is what you pay.

Not saying it isn't a good business model for them, it probably is, but it's a valid criticism as it no doubt prices a lot of people out of visiting regularly or even at all.

I never claimed I thought Paultons was expensive compared to Merlin, just that it's expensive. It's expensive when judged according to its own merit - a well presented family park but without the ride hardware (currently) to really take its place as one of the UK's top theme parks. It's an expensive day out when compared to similar, non-ride attractions as well such as zoos, aquariums and historical monuments. They don't really go in for deals either so what you pay is what you pay.

Not saying it isn't a good business model for them, it probably is, but it's a valid criticism as it no doubt prices a lot of people out of visiting regularly or even at all.

I'd argue you're paying for the overall quality of experience over individual pieces of ride hardware.

Virtually guaranteed a day free of lengthy queues with reliable well maintained rides in a nicely presented park.

Plenty of people are evidently willing to pay a premium to avoid long queues elsewhere but this system means everyone has the same experience rather than a two tier system which can often leave a sour taste for customers.

I'd imagine the owners are modelling their park on some of their European counterparts like Efteling rather than Six Flags.

Agreed. If we hadn't been invited to the Superfans event, as two enthusiasts without children, we wouldn't have gone or had perceived value from the park. We're not the audience to whom the park caters for though, and that I am aware.

It's true Paultons has a long way to go yet but it is the effort they are putting in that is getting them much kudos in which even if you aren't the biggest park in the UK or have obvious flaws, many will look the other way seeing as Paultons has done almost everything right.

And while you can say effort is going with Merlin and their parks at the moment, anything good they've done such as Nemesis reborn or Hyperia are greatly overshadowed by ride downtime, rides SBNO, terrible food and jacked up prices all create am image of an incompetent run set of parks compared to Paultons who so far haven't put a foot wrong but who's to say they might get something wrong in the near future?

Paultons does seem to have a long term plan as perhaps what Tussauds had for Towers during the 90s; Merlin just don't seem to have any idea for their parks with them now trying to fix everything that has been neglected all these years and you do have to wonder what the long term plan is for their 3 parks?

I've just replied to a post on CoasterForce which ended up with me speculating on what could be in the Viking Area and from this, there is the possibility that the development could take the entire left side of the park that isn't developed from Raging River onwards. I've put the post that started the discussion below.

Post in thread 'New attractions at Paultons Park' https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/new-attractions-at-paultons-park.45593/post-1175728

This is what I speculated based on it being for that entire area.

For me, this is what I'd say is coming for the 2026 Development in my personal opinion.

1. Intamin Multi Launch Coaster with a 25m tall swing launch and at least 2 inversions. (Thrill 1.2-1.3m).
2. Intamin Flume Ride - Similar to Biberburg. Long Term Replacement for Raging River. (Family-Thrill 1m plus).
3. Mack Seastorm - Long Term Replacement for Dragon (Family 0.9m)
4. Mack Twist N Splash - Likely Replacement for Teacups (Family 0.9m)
5. Zamperla Endeavour - 48 seat variation (Thrill 1.2m)
6. Zamperla Nebulaz (Family Thrill 1m)
7. Zamperla Air Race 6.4 Variation (Thrill 1.2m)
8. Zamperla Barnyard (Family 0.8m)
9. Zamperla Aero Top Jet (Family, No Height Requirement).
10 Bertazzon Dodgems (Family Thrill 1-1.1m)

That would be in addition to

1. Rethemed Cobra (Family Thrill 1.1m)
2. Rethemed Magma (Family Thrill 1.1m)
3. Relocated Kontiki (Family 0.9m)
4. Relocated Viking Boats (Family No Height Requirement).
5. Relocated Pirate Ship (Family 0.9m)
6. Repositioned Edge (Thrill 1.2m)
7. Rethemed Sky Swinger (Family-Thrill 1m)

I personally believe this offers a balanced family thrill area which includes

1 New Thrill Coaster

1 Refurbished Family Thrill Coaster

1 Replacement Family Thrill Water Ride

2 new supporting thrill ride and 1 refurbished supporting thrill rides.

2 new family thrill rides alongside the existing 2 family thrill rides.

4 new family rides alongside 3 refurbished and relocated family rides

This would be 4 thrill rides, 6 family thrill rides and 7 family rides offering a balanced all ages area. The rides I have suggested offer something different to the existing park offering or are upgrades to existing rides which I anticipate will be valuable supporting rides to the new coaster which will be very popular and put the park on the map as an all ages park.

In total, this would be 17 rides with 10 new and 7 refurbished.

My definition of scale I used:

Family = 0.9m and under height requirement
Family Thrill = 1m to 1.1m
Thrill = 1.2m plus

With this, I know this is ambitious however I can see this potentially being likely with the scale of the area and the park's ambition.

This also allows the remaining 3 family rides in the right side area except for the Carousel (which will stay as is) and the Teacups (which will go at the end of 2025) to be relocated and integrated into the new area whilst their old area gets developed next and not long after.

This is just me speculating as a bit of fun and may not be right by a long shot however if it gets close, I'd be amazed.

I've just replied to a post on CoasterForce which ended up with me speculating on what could be in the Viking Area and from this, there is the possibility that the development could take the entire left side of the park that isn't developed from Raging River onwards. I've put the post that started the discussion below.

Post in thread 'New attractions at Paultons Park' https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/new-attractions-at-paultons-park.45593/post-1175728

For me, this is what I'd say is coming for the 2026 Development in my personal opinion.

1. Intamin Multi Launch Coaster with a 25m tall swing launch and at least 2 inversions. (Thrill 1.2-1.3m).
2. Intamin Flume Ride - Similar to Biberburg. Long Term Replacement for Raging River. (Family-Thrill 1m plus).

1 New Thrill Coaster

This would be 4 thrill rides, 6 family thrill rides and 7 family rides offering a balanced all ages area. The rides I have suggested offer something different to the existing park offering or are upgrades to existing rides which I anticipate will be valuable supporting rides to the new coaster which will be very popular and put the park on the map as an all ages park.

Thrill = 1.2m plus

With this, I know this is ambitious however I can see this potentially being likely with the scale of the area and the park's ambition.

This also allows the remaining 3 family rides in the right side area except for the Carousel (which will stay as is) and the Teacups (which will go at the end of 2025) to be relocated and integrated into the new area whilst their old area gets developed next and not long after.

This is just me speculating as a bit of fun and may not be right by a long shot however if it gets close, I'd be amazed.

Blimey. I think if we were to get half that I'd be impressed!

I know they are cash rich, but beyond the build cost you've also got the ongoing staffing and maintainance cost. Sticking that much new stuff in means employing a couple of people each day per ride so commits them to a massive and sudden increase in operating cost, over half a million quid a year I'd guess. That places a huge risk on the whole business if visitor numbers don't sufficiently increase. I'd expect a more organic growth approach, maybe with some pencilled in expansion space in the same way Barnyard came later to Tornado.

1 New Thrill Coaster

Thrill = 1.2m plus

If this happens, I'd finally visit -- I can't see it happening though

1 New Thrill Coaster

Thrill = 1.2m plus

I think some of these individual attractions are nice ideas, but I’d be frankly stunned if we got 10 new rides and 7 refurbished ones in one fell swoop, personally.

Paultons may be ambitious, but none of their previous projects have had anything like this quantity of rides integrated within them. Paultons’ brand of ambition is also quite cautious and measured as opposed to being overly ballsy, so I’d be surprised if they chucked everything and the kitchen sink into building that many rides in one go. It doesn’t seem to me like the sort of thing they’d do; Paultons are quite reserved and cautious in their approach, whereas building 10 substantial rides in one go and refurbishing 7 others is an aggressive move.

And while you can say effort is going with Merlin and their parks at the moment, anything good they've done such as Nemesis reborn or Hyperia are greatly overshadowed by ride downtime, rides SBNO, terrible food and jacked up prices all create am image of an incompetent run set of parks compared to Paultons who so far haven't put a foot wrong but who's to say they might get something wrong in the near future?

It sounds like Merlin is facing a uphill struggle in regaining the lost trust of many regular park goers and the myriad accumulated issues with their multi-decade year old parks like Thorpe, Altons, Windsor, and Chessington, which are not overnight fixes. But things are still getting fixed almost ground up across the board.

While my almost back to visits of Legoland Windsor, Warwick Castle, and Paultons Park gave me a strong impression of Paultons' corporate being more consistent and paying more attention to smaller details than Merlin's offerings, I didn't get the impression Legoland Windsor was in a real crisis or had issues that ruined my visit (even the fast food was OK, and most of the rides were running smoothly).

However that said with the establishment of the Viking zone (plus the upkeep of the impressive Tornado Springs and Lost Kingdom areas) with many new attractions and refined older attractions, Merlin Entertainments will be facing down a rival theme park that is a cross between Altons and Chessington in their 1990s/early 2000s prime...