Paultons Park: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Maelstrom, 12th Jan 2015.

1. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

We used fast tracks at Towers many years ago but I guess as I've gotten older my opinions and politics have changed and now the idea of paying extra to go ahead of other people just doesn't sit right with me. I feel I'm repeating myself now so I'll zip it.

MaxPower and pluk like this.
  2. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron

I'm not really sure what you're arguing here then?

I don't think anybody here is saying that people *with* fastrack (well implemented or otherwise) ever have a worse experience because of it.

3. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    The only positive example I can think of is at the Disney parks where it works pretty well. But that's only because their rides are double the capacity of most parks. I'd assume that's the same for USJ.

Using it on the likes of SAW or The Smiler is completely moronic.

4. Enter Valhalla

Enter Valhalla TowersStreet Member

In that quote, you’ve cut out the next sentence where I explain what I meant by that. It has a positive effect for those who buy it and little or no effect for those who do not. You’ve deliberately mis- interpreted my point and I think you know full well what I was saying.

I will put my point simply.

Fastrack is a welcome addition at a park where you only have the opportunity to visit once.

I’ve never purchased fastrack at a U.K. park as I have the opportunity of returning, not everyone has this option. And I don’t have this option at many of the parks I visit abroad. I am therefore happy to pay extra for this service if I know that it will make my one and only visit more enjoyable, especially if I am visiting at a peak period. I really don’t think that’s such a crime.

5. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

This is categorically untrue...

pluk, Jonathan, jon81uk and 1 other person like this.
  6. Enter Valhalla

I am basing this on my experience at USJ, as I explained in the original post.

I suggest you go back and actually read what I originally posted rather than telling me I’m wrong.

7. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

You posted a stand-alone fact, that stands with or without previous posts :p.

You clearly state that fastrack has little to no effect on those that don't use it. Whether referring to one specific park, or all parks, this is categorically incorrect lol.

speedy likes this.
  8. Enter Valhalla

Wrong again.

I was responding to a specific post where a quote that I made had been chopped short. If you’d bothered to read the whole conversation you’d know that.

But to clarify for you, I said that a well implemented fastrack system has little impact on guests in the main queue. A poorly implemented fastrack system has a negative effect on guests in the main queue.

I have said all of this already and if you’d actually bothered to read what I’d said, you’d know that. I’m getting pretty bored of repeating myself now.

9. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Unless fast-track is severely limited so only a handful are sold, it will always have an impact on the main queue.
    If a ride can handle 600 people an hour, then without fastrack if 600 people turn up then the person at the back will wait an hour. But if they sell fast track and 300 fast track customers turn up, then the person at the back of the 600 standby people will wait 90 minutes. The only way to prevent this is to limit sales significantly or to offer timed tickets like Disney FastPass so that people are staggered throughout the day.
    Even the best implemented solution, if one person has a shorter wait, another one has a longer wait.

Islander and speedy like this.
  10. Enter Valhalla

Well obviously. I know how fastrack and throughputs work.

My point is that, with some systems, a small number are sold, thereby only increasing the main queue by around 10%.

Like I said, if the system means that fastrack ticket holders blatantly walk past people standing in the main queue and are visibly seen to be taking seats where the main queue could have been placed, this will have a negative impact on their experience. I know I keep using the example of USJ, but here the fastrack ticket holders queue was in a separate place and they were merged in a way whereby the main queue barely noticed. The rides had high enough throughputs that the main queue still moved quickly despite the presence of fastrack.

The example used of a ride with a 600 per hour throughput is a ride with what I would consider to be a throughput too low to comfortably support a fastrack queue.

I have seen bad fastrack systems and I have seen good ones. To make the blanket comments that all fastrack systems are detrimental to guest experience is a massively sweeping statement and not true in all cases.

11. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Paultons have clearly got ideas from Walibi Holland! :p

Rob, Matt N and jon81uk like this.
  12. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    Not their most interesting coaster to do it with, but glad to see them giving it a go. Probably kicking themselves they couldn't do it with Storm Chaser.

Burbs likes this.
  13. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    There is something really quite satisfying and amusing about seeing giant stuffed animals riding rollercoasters.

Brad97, MakoMania, Matt N and 3 others like this.
  14. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

There could be something quite amusing about watching stuffed people riding roller coasters, depending on who the people were.

15. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    speedy, D4n, IanB and 2 others like this.
  16. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron

If Paultons actually manage to pull this off then there will be no real excuse why Merlin couldn't do the same.

More proof (not that it was needed) that Paultons is the most forward thinking park in the UK.

Skyscraper and speedy like this.
  17. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Paultons are however getting a lot of complaints because they've capped pass holder tickets too low and are selling day tickets while they are out of season pass slots.

18. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Will be interesting to see what procedures they put in place on Cobra, as the cars only seat 4 guests and they can only load one at a time (only one air gate).

19. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Can’t say you can blame them though, they want day ticket money - Merlin are doing the exact same, pass tickets have sold out for the 4th yet you can buy an on the day ticket.

jon81uk, Skyscraper and speedy like this.
  20. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    Same with Colchester Zoo