• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Paultons Park: General Discussion

I don’t remember having any issues leaving Paultons Park myself, but I guess I could have just struck lucky. Or left at a non-peak time.

A roundabout should hopefully help to ease their issues. I apologise if I’m wrong on this (I’m not a road design expert), but I’m guessing that the way the roundabout will help is that it will allow for greater car capacity leaving the site by allowing traffic headed in both directions to leave in parallel or something along those lines? Or at least, more traffic can be handled going in each direction?

I probably phrased that badly…

A roundabout would make it easier to turn right out of the exit. At a T-junction the road has to be clear in both directions to turn right whereas on a roundabout you only need a gap in traffic approaching from the right.

The location of the park exit is fairly unusual in that you can turn left or right to get to the motorway, which means they can have a lane of traffic going each way. Currently the signage directs traffic to turn left but if they also singed the alternative route they could get cars off-site much quicker.

Arriving traffic is likely to be limited by how quickly they can get people parked, so it's difficult to say what impact a roundabout would have in the morning

I believe they offered to fund 50% but the local council wouldn’t budge.

It should of been a requirement of Bamford getting his A50 modifications, that the Alton bypass was required.

But he’s far to close to the Conservative party to let that happen.

If Bamford doesn’t want it, it will never happen.

More chance of getting the railway line opened through oakamoor, if they can get the bats out the tunnel

Now what would look impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of interest, is there anywhere I can read a bit more about the proposed relief road for Alton Towers? I don’t know much about it, and there doesn’t seem to be a feature about it on here or TowersTimes.

On a Paultons-related note; a lot of people talk about how the park would be unable to do too much with the Cobra/Edge area due to past planning problems and the fact that that land was not part of Paultons’ “amusement park land” at the time Cobra and Edge were built.

I thought of a possible way to get around that.

I could be being overly simplistic here, but; couldn’t the park apply to the authorities to get that land rezoned for use as amusement park land? I’m not 100% sure how that sort of thing works, but I know that many theme parks in the UK benefit from permitted development rights that basically give them carte blanche to build whatever they want below a certain height (I think it’s 25m?). Drayton Manor have them, Thorpe Park have them, even parts of Alton Towers have them, and I bet the bulk of Paultons Park has them as well (I don’t ever remember seeing a planning application for Tornado Springs or Lost Kingdom). Couldn’t the park get those rights for the Cobra/Edge land now that that land has been used for amusement park purposes for the best part of 20 years? (Cobra opened in 2006, so it’s been going strong for 16 years now)

I could be being overly simplistic here, but; couldn’t the park apply to the authorities to get that land rezoned for use as amusement park land? I’m not 100% sure how that sort of thing works, but I know that many theme parks in the UK benefit from permitted development rights that basically give them carte blanche to build whatever they want below a certain height (I think it’s 25m?). Drayton Manor have them, Thorpe Park have them, even parts of Alton Towers have them, and I bet the bulk of Paultons Park has them as well (I don’t ever remember seeing a planning application for Tornado Springs or Lost Kingdom). Couldn’t the park get those rights for the Cobra/Edge land now that that land has been used for amusement park purposes for the best part of 20 years? (Cobra opened in 2006, so it’s been going strong for 16 years now)
No if it's in the national park there's little chance of that ever happening. National parks are effectively impossible to move the borders off without an act of parliament, which would never happen just because Paulton's want to build some theme park stuff on the land. At least that's the impression I get, perhaps someone who knows more about how national parks works will be able to help here?

No if it's in the national park there's little chance of that ever happening. National parks are effectively impossible to move the borders off without an act of parliament, which would never happen just because Paulton's want to build some theme park stuff on the land. At least that's the impression I get, perhaps someone who knows more about how national parks works will be able to help here?
Well if Boris were still in power they might have had a shot at that Act of Parliament, him being such a fan of the place!

On a Paultons-related note; a lot of people talk about how the park would be unable to do too much with the Cobra/Edge area due to past planning problems and the fact that that land was not part of Paultons’ “amusement park land” at the time Cobra and Edge were built.
It has emerged that @PaultonsPark
have submitted an application to confirm the lawful use of land to the west of existing attractions Cobra and The Edge as 'amusement park'.

It has emerged that @PaultonsPark
have submitted an application to confirm the lawful use of land to the west of existing attractions Cobra and The Edge as 'amusement park'.

Oh wow; it seems that my idea might not have been so far fetched after all!

I don’t think that land looks to be coaster material, myself. I don’t know why, but I’m sensing a dark ride there. They already have Cobra as a potential headline coaster for any area built there, and it looks like the sort of plot that would be good for a dark ride.

Last edited:
Oh wow; it seems that my idea might not have been so far fetched after all!

I don’t think that land looks to be coaster material, myself. I don’t know why, but I’m sensing a dark ride there. They already have Cobra as a potential headline coaster for any area built there, and it looks like the sort of plot that would be good for a dark ride.
Well Matt I always admit when I'm wrong, you (potentially) win. I think there is still a likely chance this gets denied, I don't think it will be that easy for them to get this protection removed but perhaps I will be proven wrong.

Well Matt I always admit when I'm wrong, you (potentially) win. I think there is still a likely chance this gets denied, I don't think it will be that easy for them to get this protection removed but perhaps I will be proven wrong.
In fairness, it’s not technically the land that Cobra and Edge sit on, so technically speaking, you weren’t wrong…