• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Paultons Park: General Discussion

I have little experience of Vekoma invert coasters,
Just came back from Fantasy Island and after riding Odyssey, will not be riding this ... o_O

Odyssey is in no way comparable to a brand new family coaster.

Nothing wrong with Odyssey, it's the best SLC in the country. ;)

And this is brand new and with a new track and train design, from what I've heard it's actually quite smooth.

This is an SFC, not an SLC, they are totally different. Even the older type with OTSRs are nice and smooth, so with an OHLR it should be pain free. :D

Last edited:
I'm rather looking forward to giving Flight of the Pterosaur a go after the tiny Jimmy Neutron SFC at Movie Park Germany. It was the first Vekoma I'd been on that felt 100% competently engineered. I'm also supposed to be going to Grona Lund later this year, and it'll be interesting to see how well Kvasten (which I think Pterosaur is a clone of) has aged compared to a brand new one.

I'm rather looking forward to giving Flight of the Pterosaur a go after the tiny Jimmy Neutron SFC at Movie Park Germany. It was the first Vekoma I'd been on that felt 100% competently engineered. I'm also supposed to be going to Grona Lund later this year, and it'll be interesting to see how well Kvasten (which I think Pterosaur is a clone of) has aged compared to a brand new one.

Yeah this is a clone of Kvasten. :) I can't imagine this being rough like an SLC because you'll have a lot comfort on this ride. Nothing to worry about :p

Good god no, I'm hardly expecting Kvasten to be uncomfortable; the SFC and SLC seating arrangements are virtually incomparable. I just wonder whether the 'Vekoma factor' still affects this ride type to some extent.

Well Silver Streak was one of those "I can't believe it's Vekoma!" rides when I went on it a couple of years ago. We commented at the time that it would be perfect for a UK park. ;)

Both Kvasten and Orkanen are insanely smooth and with the odd pop of intensity...

To not ride one is more fool yourself...

Having been on both Kvasten and the new one at Paultons I would say that the one at Paultons is a better experience as you have more close encounters with rocks etc. It does give you a really smooth ride and at the back does give you some airtime. Here is a video I have just published showing off the land and you can see what I mean about the rocks etc.

Looks amazing thank for the vid. Merlin should hand their heads in shame. Is this not something Chessington deserves? (Not dinosour themed) but a family themed area to this standard. Well done paultons, great job.

Surely the future of paultons can only get better, possibly a returns of the cobra/edge area next like they did with critters creek?

I was on a ride that broke down once. Does anyone want to buy my story?
The last time I was on a rollercoaster that broke down, I was about 8 and had to be lifted from underneath the lap bars and helped over a fence to escape...

Well, what can I say, I was so impressed following my visit to Paultons Park on Saturday. I had not been since 2001 (I think) when I was 9 and it's needless to say that the park is now unrecognisable from back then.

The Lost Kingdom is a brilliant addition with real attention to detail in the theming. It is by far the best non-IP themed area added to a UK theme park in recent history. The two new coasters are both really good fun, particuarally Flight of the Pterosaur. I was also impressed with the number of animatronic dinosaurs in the area, one of them is really quite massive; Alton Towers can only dream of such theming these days. My only gripe is the floor surface which for most of the area is back tarmac. I'd imagine costs are the reason for this but it does not really complement the beautiful rockwork in the area. Still, well done Paultons Park!

Cobra is a really good coaster, especially once it has warmed up a bit. Peppa Pig world is also perfect for young children and in my opinion is superior to Thomas Land at Drayton (both are better than CBeebies Land simply because there is far more stuff for kids to do). In fact Paultons is the perfect theme park for children, they've well and truly aced it.

Finally it was so clear to see just how much those in charge of the park care for it, not something we're all used to with UK parks. Lawns and hedges were all neatly cut, the lovely gardens were all pristine and very well looked after and the entire park was very clean. It's amazing how much of a difference this does make to your day out.

I wouldn't pay to go back unless they got a new ride that appealed to me but that is purely because I am not the target audience of the park. However I think they deserve huge praise in how they've developed the park in recent years.

:)