• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

People rubbishing Wickerman as inferior to ICON

My point was about comparison and impact due to the ease of travel and technology between 1994 and now. (edit: PMBO and Nemesis added something new to Europe, causing a bigger impact and hype in a much younger industry)

I'm glad these rides are in the UK and can be experienced by more people :) I hope we get an RMC as

Last edited:
I've ridden Wickerman and I thought it was a lot of fun. It looks great whilst queing, the IMA score music is great, it's an imposing structure, the wickerman himself is impressive (even though Merlin have allready turned the gas off) and I enjoyed it.

I don't think it is the world's greatest coaster, but I love THRILL rides best. AT is a family the park. It is huge and no doubt costs a fortune to run. I reckon they need 3M guests a year plus. Appealing to a narrow demographic such as thrill seekers would not do the job.Wickerman is the right investment at the right time. It's great for Mum, Dad, the kids who are too old for CBeebies and is a step up coaster for scaredycats. It is designed to appeal to the widest possible demographic to get the gate back up.

I think it will.

Haven't ridden Icon yet, but it looks great. Should give a thrilling but smooth ride, and much as I love The Smiler, it makes me think that Merlin could have done better for the alleged 18 million.

I'm so glad we have two very different coasters and will thoroughly enjoy both. I suspect that when the hype dies down, Nemmie will remain my favourite, but will post my thoughts after riding Icon next month.

There is no such thing as the objectively best coaster, just the ones we enjoy. If someone hates Nemesis and loves Rita, I have no problem with that.

Do agree with the ten and to hype up the latest thing though. I seem to recall The Smiler beat Nemesis in several polls shortly after it opened. 5 years later, Nemmie is still the more highly rated ride, certainly among us Nerds!

Let's just enjoy the rides It's about fun after all!

There’s a big point that everyone’s missed. Icon is only open to VIP pass holders at the moment. These are people that love Blackpool, of course they are going to say Icon’s better!

Not that I’m judging them, they probebly are right! From the day both coasters were announced Icon looked like the better ride. Wickerman has proven to be better than we originally thought but as someone that hasn’t ridden either I’d still say Icon looks better.

Although now I think about it the two rides do perfectly represent their corresponding parks. Alton Towers, a Theme Park has a heavily themed experience. Blackpool PB an Amusment Park has an impresive bit of ride hardware. Win win for the respective fans!

We live in a world of extremes. I guess if the fame whores want to vlog, you have to have an opinion of some kind or it would be even less entertaining to watch. Just sit back and think along the lines of... "What an absolute treat to think I've got the opportunity to ride two great coasters in the UK. It doesn't matter which is better because I can ride both".

Wickerman Is an amazing ride Experience I have said it's better than Nemesis and I stand by that fact, Wickerman wins for me because of the mist in the section underneath the queue and the first drop into the airtime hill. Nemesis is still my number 2 and it's still incredibly close. Icon looks good, but those that are out there proclaiming it is the absolute best ride ever created? Not a chance.

There are those who think that of Baco, so I'm sure there's some who think Wickerman is the best ride ever...

I could think of worse rides to consider the best thing ever, even if it's not even the best ride in the park for me...

We live in a world of extremes. I guess if the fame whores want to vlog, you have to have an opinion of some kind or it would be even less entertaining to watch. .
I don't have a problem with that - we all have things we enjoy and things we hate, and vloggers are no exception. What I find strange though is how some members of the community have a god-like status, and their followers feel the need to instantly tow the same line. I'm not sure if that's because of loyalty or naivety.

Aside from the fact they're opening in the same year at the UK's two biggest theme parks, I never understood why people compare Wicker Man and Icon. They do two completely jobs, Wicker Man catering towards family and Icon being a thrill ride. I do admit I think Icon will probably be better, but that's because it's a completely different kind of ride. Wicker Man in itself is a great family coaster.

I'm not gonna stop others but my own enjoyment of rides and parks was greatly restored as soon as I stopped caring for the usual hype, arbitrary comparisons and 'ratings out of 10'. In fact that goes for all entertainment. Give it a go!

We live in a world of extremes. I guess if the fame whores want to vlog, you have to have an opinion of some kind or it would be even less entertaining to watch. Just sit back and think along the lines of... "What an absolute treat to think I've got the opportunity to ride two great coasters in the UK. It doesn't matter which is better because I can ride both".

This is an unusual phenomena where I absolutely agree with everything Rick has said, haha

We have two new good coasters, that’s better than no new good coasters. People need to give up with the need to play one off against the other.

Some people just love a good argument, they don’t get that ultimately their opinion is completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Really looking forward to ICON in a few weeks but that won't change my opinion on WM one bit. They are different coasters aimed at different audiences.

If you go your whole life playing one thing off against an other it must be a dull life you lead. Enjoy things for what they are and you will be much happier.