• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phantasialand: General Discussion

PL is very pretty, I think part of its problem however is it is very hard to stop and take a breather with a nice drink, it’s a bit like Towers but with theming and flats, it’s ride the rides or naff all (though with more flats and at least one ok show).
The main difference with PL over AT is the support attractions, the fun house, the new Africa obstacle course, shows and entertainment, Talocan etc. AT is lacking still on rides/attractions that aren’t cossters. But yes they are generally quite close in level of parks, both have a ghost train, a madhouse, a good coaster selection. PL gets the theming and shows right though.

Relaxing between rides has been mentioned a few times and I think that’s one of the key differences. Whilst PL has immense scenery though necessity, that same scenery means there feels like there are very few places one can truly relax. It’s a very intense environment to be in, exacerbated by its narrow paths and concentrated areas.

Being in those spaces for a protracted amount of time makes you realise that Disney’s reasoning for forced perspective is actually true. If you build too big, the space can feel impersonal.

As Dan said, if you’re just spending a day there you’ll likely come away with a great impression because the headline rides are great and you don’t really expose the park’s lack of depth. I feel like Europa is almost the total opposite - it rewards longer visits by having so many layers to discover whilst you’re not doing the headline rides.

I've recently lead a group of normies/civilians to both EP, in summer, and Phantasialand, for Wintertraum. Stayed on a site at both, Bell Rock and Charles Lindbergh respectively, and am pleased to say that we have fresh converts....

Reflecting a lot of comments up thread, EP was the clear favourite in terms of an all-round experience, especially the hotels and the general atmosphere, as well as the scale to explore and lark around in.

Still, one of my friends in particular couldn't get over how good the major rides were at Phantasialand, and felt that only Wodan came close to Taron, FLY and even Colorado Adventure. However, I did offer the rebuttal that we had the advantage of being in a very quiet park during the most atmospheric time of year, during which Phantasialand create the space and amenities to simply hang out and drink. Those serious bangers at Phantasialand are not as fun when you're waiting over an hour for each, and shuffled around like sardines marinated in school group sweat while inbetween.

Delighted to report that we were confronted with the true logic and spirit of Phantasialand at Rutmor's Tavern, when, having ordered three individual plates of goulash, equivalent litres of beer and the premium cheese board, my friend took the liberty to enquire as to whether we could, just possibly, order a few pickles on a separate small plate... We might have had more luck nipping in to Guest Services and asking them to knock the temperature up a few notches and open River Quest for an hour.

Last edited:
The main difference with PL over AT is the support attractions, the fun house, the new Africa obstacle course, shows and entertainment, Talocan etc. AT is lacking still on rides/attractions that aren’t cossters. But yes they are generally quite close in level of parks, both have a ghost train, a madhouse, a good coaster selection. PL gets the theming and shows right though.

For sure it has the support attractions and has a go at putting on a show or two and it’s theming is amazing in most areas but as Venny says it just doesn’t have anywhere to take a breather. In fact I would say Towers achieves that fact a bit better as you have space and a couple of places for a drink (though the drink choices are meh and not much indoor space).

I think when you go somewhere multi-day you don’t always want to be racing between rides and nothing else, you want a space to relax a little and that’s where PL struggles, it’s hotels are also similar in that they are pretty but having a relaxing drink isn’t easy.

It's always been the case for me - it's a one day park, maybe another half day if it's busy. That was something I even felt back on my first visit with a fresh pair of eyes back in '07. Europa-Park can easily be a holiday in itself, but Phantasialand trips are always coupled with other things, be that a few days in Cologne or a couple of other parks enroute like Efteling or Movie Park.

Away from the operations, the limitations of the park's size has and always will be the reason it's always thought of as a one day park. They really do have to cram things in, so there's very little space for much else. Even with what they have got, there's still the noise limitations they have to deal with in certain areas too. Of course the park have tried to rectify that by securing expansion into surrounding areas, but always seems to be swiftly killed off whenever they try.

It doesn't work in the park's favour in terms of heavily expanding their guest numbers, but from an enthusiast point of view it does work in our favour. I don't think we'd have ever got what we did from the likes of Klugheim or Rookburgh and the unique immersive attractions within without the park being forced to think outside of the box because of the limitations that they have.

I did find a walk around the lake to be quite a bit of an escape. But: need to take a vow of silence to pass and its closed off on Sundays. Hotel Ling Bao bar is a good escape but need to be a resort guest to pass there.

I did find a walk around the lake to be quite a bit of an escape. But: need to take a vow of silence to pass and its closed off on Sundays. Hotel Ling Bao bar is a good escape but need to be a resort guest to pass there.
A vow of silence! Yes! It was like a funeral round there in summer.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I not been to Germany to any of the theme parks but they got to add top themed rides so they can easily fit into the surrounding areas and the competition from other theme parks.
Merlin really only got Drayton Manor, Paulton’s park as their nearest competitors so unless Paulton or Drayton install a world 1st coaster their visitor numbers ain’t gonna take a hit.
Even Blackpool where they may not have a theme park they make up with their midway attractions.

Is there anything new of note coming to Phantasialand next year?

FLY opened 2020 and although we had the delightful heights walk last year, we're in a bit of a 'nothing known' phase at the same time as admission prices are rising significantly.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Anything new on the horizon for Phantasialand in 2023, seems weird them not having an active building site somewhere on the park after the past few projects rolling from one to another.

Anything new on the horizon for Phantasialand in 2023, seems weird them not having an active building site somewhere on the park after the past few projects rolling from one to another.
Hollywood Tour is closed for a few years already and no official information about what's going on. So I consider this as the current construction side.