• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Phones at Gigs

T said:
People like to remember their excursions, and exploits by capturing them to look back on in years to come. There's absolutely nothing at all wrong with doing this.

Would you think differently if I stood in front of you at a gig and held up a cheese board for the duration of the show? :p

Truly is awful and needs to stop, although if you can hold these up at a gig, something is wrong :p

I'd sooner ban bags though. If you've ever been stuck behind someone with a bag and not got a sly blow in, you make Gandhi look like Joey Barton.

I've only ever been to one concert and that was back in 2009. Chris De Burgh at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, and I regret not taking at least a video of the event, because it was an awesome night and there's only literally a couple of clips on YouTube from that night.

Like T said, it's a person's way of capturing a memory of memorable event, and I believe that there's nothing wrong with that. And I'm not ashamed to say that I'll be taking pictures and some videos when I see Roger Waters at Wembley, this September (without the flash of course). Just because it's a way to capture a memory, like what you do with any other event that you want a personal record of. It can be something more special to somebody if they've taken the picture or video themselves, even if the audio of image quality is distorted to buggery.

:)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Just because we didn't have the ability in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't use it now... I don't see why you'd want to film a whole event but recording a song or two, or using your phone to take some pictures sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You want to re-live the moment, possibly remember hearing your favourite song. If you have the opportunity to try and take a bit of the atmosphere home with you in your pocket then why the hell not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I think the main gripe is blocking the view, not being able to record. If you want to record, go stand at the back!

Poison Tom 96 said:
I think the main gripe is blocking the view, not being able to record. If you want to record, go stand at the back!

Yep, if your seated or at the back knock yourself out, couldn't care less!

Re: Re: Phones at Gigs

Alastair said:
I agree. Just enjoy the experience, and not have it hindered by having to hold up a phone for the whole time. Same with people who try to film POV's on coasters. If you want to watch something again, it's always on Youtube.

Someone was filming on Nemesis today so it stopped on the lift hill so a staff member could tell them to stop filming. I was sat on row 8 of said train at the time. It highlights that some people have no thought for others be it at a gig, a theme park or in everyday life.

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

The difference there, though, is that having a phone out on a coaster does propose a genuine health and safety hazard.

Jonathan said:
The difference there, though, is that having a phone out on a coaster does propose a genuine health and safety hazard.

I was highlighting the point about ignorant people, and at the gigs I go to a mobile phone is a H&S risk (slipping on one in a pit sounds like no fun :p)

Poison Tom 96 said:
Jonathan said:

I was highlighting the point about ignorant people, and at the gigs I go to a mobile phone is a H&S risk (slipping on one in a pit sounds like no fun :p)
Yeah, I can understand that. :p

Poison Tom 96 said:
Novas said:
Poison Tom 96 said:

To right. Bring back the days when the light came from the stage and the occassional Zippo and nowhere else.

The bit where people are encouraged is wrong.

It is, but atleast they make it clear in the article that the only reason for promoting the recording of their shows is for marketing purposes. It shows a complete lack of artistic integrity but that's another debate.

To be honest, the trend does seem to be dying out. I think the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

For example, for a gig by a certain band in 2011, there are dozens of videos, including at least one person who filmed the entire set. The same band played the same venue again a year later, and there's less than a dozen videos, most of them less than two minutes long.

I thank the great Emperor Xenu.

I've never actually been to a gig (yet), but the knobs who record the game at footie matches are awful. At Scunny games isn't not that much of a problem because I'm always stood at the back of the terrace, and no one who stands at the back of a terrace is the sort to film a game. But when I go to Goodison I usually go in the Park End, and every time this season I've been there's been a couple of them near me. I can just picture the conversations when they get back home.

"Enjoy the game"

"Yeah, we played well"

"I'm looking forward to seeing it on MOTD then"

"Why bother with that? I've got a bad quality video of a Leon Osman shot going over the bar. My £25 Nokia is way better than the state of the art cameras the BBC uses!"

I hope at Leeds this year there's not a load of them stood around me. Especially the ones who use their iPads to film it. That should be a crime. :p

Well at the last gig I went to there was a pickpocket going around, one of my friends got their phone stolen, another lost their iPod, and there must've been about 20 other people in the same boat. Another reason not to even take a phone if you can.

One of the reasons I prefer combats to jeans, is the zip up pockets. They have uses beyond theme parks ;)