• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Pleasure Island to close down

The seaside resorts in this country for me, the less popular, the better. I've never been on holiday to Blackpool or Skegness or the like, but the weather is always grim, the buildings are run down, anywhere past the front of certain sections of the promenade in Blackpool is uncomfortable and I don't know where to start with Skegness.:p

Personally I do like parts of Wales coast and the jurassic coastline, but in the UK I'd rather go to somewhere like snowdonia, parts of Scotland or London.

A lot of the popular places in this country are run down, I prefer the more secluded places in this country but Sweden, Austria, Italy, Australia, Spain are all so much more beautiful in terms of how nice the cities and countryside is. Also, places such as parks seem to have a lot more care and focus on appearance put into them.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Blackpool as a town though Matt, but the pleasure Beach is decent. Just don't expect it to be a fantastic place.

Basically this country isn't really my cup of tea in terms of holidaying, I'll do short breaks for a couple of days myself and then go to somewhere like Austria for a week or two in summer and Spain for example in October.

I always had a fun time when I visited Pleasure Island. It was what it was and it supported itself for a while and then when it stopped doing that, it closed. Seaside parks like that are quite dependent on the area/town that they are in doing well.

Whilst Alton is a destination, Pleasure Island framed itself as somewhere to spend a day if you were local, or holidaying in the area. No one was ever going to spend millions & millions building a dream park in Cleethorpes, it doesn't have the transport links or infrastructure to support one.

Fantasy Island continues to thrive because Ingoldmells still attracts swarms of folk for stays in the surrounding caravan sites - if you've never been, seriously - look at a map, it's bananas.