• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Plopsaland De Panne General Discussion

I’ve never done it but I know others who have driven there and back in a day. Of course depending where you are going I. UK. It’s probably easier to get to if you life right down south than it is to get to Blackpool!

Has anyone ever done a daytrip or quick overnighter to Plopsaland De Panne? I might look into feasibility of a visit later in the year.
If you live in the south of England and have a car, it's absolutely possible to do Plopsaland in a day - take a ferry or the Eurotunnel to Calais, head north up the A16 for about 45-50 minutes (literally in a straight line) and take the first exit after crossing the border in Belgium. If you're coming from slightly further away, you can add a night's stay in nearby Dunkirk for very little extra cost if you're prepared to stay in one of the numerous budget hotels there (Ibis Budget, Premiere Classe).
it didn’t look like there was a quick direct way to get from there to Plopsaland by public transport.
No, Plopsaland is pretty inaccessible by public transport - De Panne is served by buses and a coastal tram but they're very much local services.

I live near Reading about two hours drive from Dover. Drove to Dover in the evening and stayed at a hotel then got the ferry to Calais the next morning. From Calais it's 40 mins drive to Plopsaland, I stayed the whole day opening to close then drove all the way home that evening. Was well worth it but it's a tiring day with many hours of travel. If I lived any further from Dover it would have been a two nighter.

If you want to make a short break of it, Plopsaland is just 45 minutes from Bellewaerde, another nice park (and zoo). :)

It’s probably easier to get to if you life right down south than it is to get to Blackpool!
Very true. It’d have to be planned when I’m “down south”
If you want to make a short break of it, Plopsaland is just 45 minutes from Bellewaerde, another nice park (and zoo). :)
The trouble is you start doing the “I’ll just add another park” and before you know it you’re on a European Mega Trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely possible I think. I guess the risk to a day trip would be any sort of delays in the Eurotunnel. So maybe it is best to travel over the evening before, stay in Calais and then drive to Plopsaland the next day, do the park and come all the way home that night.

I've done it. Maybe wouldn't particularly recommend it as I was absolutely knackered afterwards.

Well worth it if you can get a full car together though.

Just looked into options from up North and if everybody’s favourite company P&O Ferries was still operating the “Hull to Zeebrugge” route it would have been a very straightforward trip by public transport via ferry and tram to the park.

Just looked into options from up North and if everybody’s favourite company P&O Ferries was still operating the “Hull to Zeebrugge” route it would have been a very straightforward trip by public transport via ferry and tram to the park.

Those ferries aren't fast though. Doesn't that crossing take like 7 hours?

Yeah it's an overnight crossing with cabin

Manchester to Hull is a good 2hrs by car. Then you have pre departure time then 7-8hr crossing and then car journey to the park. I don't see the point really. It's quicker to drive if flying isn't your thing.

I suppose it depends where in the UK you're leaving from. If you're already near where the ferry leaves from it's not so bad.

I’ve heard people say that Plopsa is more doable in a day than Towers if you’re in the South of the UK, particularly the South East.

In fairness, I can imagine that to be true; from Canterbury, for instance, where I went on holiday a few years ago, Plopsa is 2.5 hours , while Towers is nearly 4 hours.

I’ve heard people say that Plopsa is more doable in a day than Towers if you’re in the South of the UK, particularly the South East.

In fairness, I can imagine that to be true; from Canterbury, for instance, where I went on holiday a few years ago, Plopsa is 2.5 hours , while Towers is nearly 4 hours.
Yeah, from the south it's just an hour from the Calais Eurotunnel terminal by car. :)

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - could not find a Plopsa Hotel thread - does anyone know if Plopsa Hotel has en ERT? I read they let hotel guest in at 0930 but nothing is open. Have booked for early June wondering if it's worth just going to the aqua park with kids at opening and forgetting about ERT?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - could not find a Plopsa Hotel thread - does anyone know if Plopsa Hotel has en ERT? I read they let hotel guest in at 0930 but nothing is open. Have booked for early June wondering if it's worth just going to the aqua park with kids at opening and forgetting about ERT?
I stayed in the Plopsaland Hotel a couple of Thursday's ago and there was no mention of ERT.

I will post more about said hotel and Ride to Happiness later. Both are brilliant!

Shelved my trip plans for the time being. Not too keen on driving abroad. May look into public transport options if I was to go as a foot passenger to Calais.

Shelved my trip plans for the time being. Not too keen on driving abroad. May look into public transport options if I was to go as a foot passenger to Calais.

Driving abroad (in the likes of France and Belgium) is actually easier than the UK. Typically, roads are quiet (obviously big cities are different). The drive from Calais to Plopsaland is literally a straight motorway for 1/2 hour. Within minutes of being abroad, your body totally adjusts to the difference.

Don't let it put you off. You'll soon see it's the UK with the busiest and most difficult and often mostly badly maintained roads.

Seconded. If you’re looking to do your first drive abroad, Plopsaland is a great option. As Dan says, it’s one motorway and only a short distance from Calais. Off the ferry/train, head north for a bit, turn left, straight over the roundabout, turn left and you’re there!

Especially if you use the Eurotunnel you really can’t go wrong. The road from the platform onto the motorway is so well laid out that you start driving on the right without even realising it. Short of stopping and U-turning you really can’t get it wrong!