• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Politics

Well, it would be nice if people could like about things like adults without getting into a slanging match.... we can only hope but so far so good!

A thread of politics? With DEBATING? No abuse? I don't know what to do now ;)

Actually your right.... just watching them in the House of Commons they act like bickering spoilt brats with each other. I stand corrected, slang away!

GaryH said:
Actually your right.... just watching them in the House of Commons they act like bickering spoilt brats with each other. I stand corrected, slang away!

Always reminds me of a school playground with posh bullies. Though this is by far the best I've heard in a while:

BcmDxNGCIAAknqB.jpg:large

;D ;D ;D

Did anyone else watch Question Time last night? I don't watch it often as it only ever seems like points scoring, but it had an interesting panel.

Not that Joey Barton should have been on the panel, but why oh why did he use the sexist analogy? I'm quite sure everyone understands the term 'The best of a bad bunch.'

I was mildly concerned that I found myself agreeing with Piers and Joey a lot of the time last night! Oh, and that woman from UKIP was frightful. She just didn't want to let anybody else say much at all, IMO.

I detest Piers Morgan, but I think he actually came across better than anyone else yesterday, although his argument about 'being the best' was a bit cringey, reminded me of Hugh Grant in Love Actually a little.

The UKIP woman was a horrible gremlin who resorted to speaking loudly over everyone to 'win' an argument. I actually don't mind if UKIP get some more coverage like this because they're just going to get found out.

What is it with people and play acting? Why do people like Nigel Farage when he acts like a commoner when it is clear he is only acting? Also when Boris Johnson acts like a buffoon everyone loves him when he is just a Tory puppet.

Poisson said:
Why do people like Nigel Farage when he acts like a commoner when it is clear he is only acting?

'If I'm seen in a pub with a beer in my hand people will think that I'm one of them.' Apparently...

Danza91 said:
Poisson said:
Why do people like Nigel Farage when he acts like a commoner when it is clear he is only acting?

'If I'm seen in a pub with a beer in my hand people will think that I'm one of them.' Apparently...

I understand why Farage acts, but why can't people see through it. This is why politics in this country is in a mess with low turnouts.

Farage definitely spits out the beer after the propaganda pictures get taken and has a glass of brandy to get rid of the taste. The fact so many people fall for their populist trash worries me and is one of the main reasons why I can't wait to leave this country after uni.

My gripe with Politics?

Leftie/Righty culture.

We should be working together, not dismissing someone because they have an opposing opinion. I would like to believe our government is not a warzone, but it kind of is.

HaydenCR said:
My gripe with Politics?

Leftie/Righty culture.

We should be working together, not dismissing someone because they have an opposing opinion. I would like to believe our government is not a warzone, but it kind of is.

I disagree with this. I think people should fight for what they believe in, and I don't believe in compromise for the sake of it. Yes I'll agree people can take it too far, and there are certain people's views (fascists mostly) I'd rather not have to put up with, but overall I believe in free speech and for people to stand for what they believe in, even if it's someone whose views are totally different to mine, unless it's actually causing harm to society.

Adam said:
HaydenCR said:
My gripe with Politics?

Leftie/Righty culture.

I disagree with this. I think people should fight for what they believe in, and I don't believe in compromise for the sake of it. Yes I'll agree people can take it too far, and there are certain people's views (fascists mostly) I'd rather not have to put up with, but overall I believe in free speech and for people to stand for what they believe in, even if it's someone whose views are totally different to mine, unless it's actually causing harm to society.

Let me rephrase, I am against party driven politics. I hate the idea of sticking to a party not completely agreeing with them. There is no party I fully agree with, and I feel like I AM making a compromise when I vote. I would rather vote my Ministers and PM in individually rather then have an overall party having control of the government. Because of the way government works, someone always gets the short end of the stick, and this is unfair. For the most part, if you are sick or disabled, the current government sees you as a liability and thus will take away your benefits, DSAs, care etc. to the point in which your life is simply unliveable. IN the last government business got the short end, etc.

HaydenCR said:
Adam said:
HaydenCR said:
My gripe with Politics?

Leftie/Righty culture.

Let me rephrase, I am against party driven politics. I hate the idea of sticking to a party not completely agreeing with them. There is no party I fully agree with, and I feel like I AM making a compromise when I vote. I would rather vote my Ministers and PM in individually rather then have an overall party having control of the government. Because of the way government works, someone always gets the short end of the stick, and this is unfair. For the most part, if you are sick or disabled, the current government sees you as a liability and thus will take away your benefits, DSAs, care etc. to the point in which your life is simply unliveable. IN the last government business got the short end, etc.

That's kinda how it works now. You vote for an MP that represents you and they are usually aligned with a party. I don't think you can get any more granular than that. If you abolished parties, people would still form alliances in the government or nothing would get done when it came to voting on things. It makes sense that all people that like low taxes join together and all the people that like high taxes join together, to make sure their legislation gets passed and not the other side's.

I do think there needs to be less blame laid on the previous governments. It gets a little tiresome hearing that the state of the economy is the fault of the previous government, especially when they've not been in power for nearly 5 years! It seems there is more interest in advancing the parties and concentrating on the election cycles than actually running the country.

Politics and the way the media portray it is almost like football now. You wear colours regardless of the beliefs/policies unless you are a floating voter.

And I agree about the sentiments of "righty/leftie".

Centre politics doesn't even address this balance anymore, it's like they take the worst of both rather than the best nowadays.

Too many vested interests nowadays in Government, too much spin, to many close ties to certain media/personalities - it's become about showboating.

You can however tell there is a right wing party in power now though because the order of the day is divide and rule, spread hate, propaganda & fear - whilst the rich/poor divide continues to grow.

Modern society really should be over this now, but they use suggestibility techniques to create "us and them" mentalities to a quite astonishing degree.