• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

The last time I went to PA the guy in Fuego was absolutely gorgeous. We went back the next day and the actor had changed :(

The stone is the key!

Also Bang Bang West was great, I don't normally go to shows but I'd definitely make time to do it again!

Edit: If as Sam says the attraction really had such dire opening hours, maybe they really should run it more like a daily show? But then I suppose capacity might be an issue. How many people can you get into the attraction at one time? I can't imagine it's anywhere close to the size of the show theatre buildings.

Sam said:
Making improvements to Templo del Fuego is pretty pointless while it still has such limited opening hours. In October, it was open for a grant total of 10 hours a week. This is ostensibly a headline attraction.

BigAl said:
It does look stunning and it will do well generally, regardless of what enthusiasts believe.

The Gash Battles at Towers/EP/Phantasia are all chronically underused, even in good weather. I've only ever seen a queue for one when it's absolutely scorching fry-an-egg-on-the-pavement weather. Even then, I imagine people only go on them because they want to cool down and the good water rides that actually do something have long queues.

Yes, they get you wet when its hot. So does tipping a bottle of water over your head. Besides that, these rides do literally nothing. That's what I find most offensive about them. I agree with John - why bother when PA have three other decent (and wet) water rides? Having guns on the boats actually detracts from the ride - like Duel, you can just sit and pretend they aren't there, but it lessens the enjoyment of the theming when everyone else is preoccupied with the guns.

But what about those in countries which have a warmer climate, like Italy and Spain? What about Plopsa's new Splash Battle? That seems to have done well, regardless of its location.

The one at Towers is underused because the UK isn't suited to such an attraction. There's only ever about two days of the year where you'd actually want to bother.

Many Splash Battles just rely on firing water at people with very little else to them, but this looks to offer more than that. Usually they don't excite me either, but this clearly isn't your typical boats in shallow pond squirting jets of water at people for a couple of minutes. I'll personally give it a chance before totally writing it off.

Parks continue to buy them. They may not cost as much to put in, but that can't be the only reason parks continue to invest in them. Most look dull, but this ride could change that.

:)

Laura said:
The last time I went to PA the guy in Fuego was absolutely gorgeous. We went back the next day and the actor had changed :(

The stone is the key!

Also Bang Bang West was great, I don't normally go to shows but I'd definitely make time to do it again!

Edit: If as Sam says the attraction really had such dire opening hours, maybe they really should run it more like a daily show? But then I suppose capacity might be an issue. How many people can you get into the attraction at one time? I can't imagine it's anywhere close to the size of the show theatre buildings.

Id say it can hold about 90 people per cycle, it may be a few more. I think the main factor of the reduced opening is due to how much it costs to run the attraction, although I agree is not an excuse for it to be closed. As well as all the special effects used, the attraction also needs actors, stunt men and a technical team to run the show, as well as general attraction hosts.

The attraction just works with guests queuing and then being batched in groups of 90 or so every 20 mins. So I think the idea of cutting back the hours is due to not wanting to run the show on a reduced capacity.

And in regards to Sam's comment I have no doubt at all that Angkor will be a very popular attraction at PortAventura.

IoA runs as show times, probably best way to run them. It'd be nice to be able to visit it, shame it doesn't open til June.

Sam said:
On a side note, I actually disagree with James and think that the mirror maze is really good. :)

Should have elaborated slightly on my comment. It is good as far as what you can do with mirror mazes (and there really is little you can do after the mirrors are up). Although it's not something I expect to see at such a high profile theme park. It seems (maybe like the Splash Battle) an odd attraction to add.

Each to their own though. Maybe it's just because I've had a childhood of seeing mirror mazes at Techniquest and fairs around the UK. I've never considered it to be something you want to go in at a popular theme park.

Regarding Fuego. PortAventura have been running it as a 'show' for years now. When you get the park map in the summer Fuego will be under the shows timetable.

I am not a fan of Splash Battles, and this one is likely to be no exception.

It's a shame they cannot add drops...

DiogoJ42 said:
AstroDan said:
It's a shame they cannot add drops...

I'm sure it can be done. It's just a boat in a trough, after all.

The only problem I see with it is that people stand up on the ride to be able to fire, so having a drop would mean that people would have to be forced to sit down strapped in, which limits their ability to fire. New boats could be manufactured of course to allow people to sit down and fire but this would be more restricted.

Pictured, PortAventura's Artistic Director Gianfranco Bollini at the entrance to the kingdom of Angkor. The theming looks stunning!

dc5wfq.jpg

Photo: PortAventura Noticias

15is1s.jpg

Photo: PortAventura&Friends

Also:

The Story of Angkor

In 1860 an explorer delved into the heart of the Cambodian jungle in search of the most exotic species of butterflies. Completely by chance, he discovered the ruins of a civilisation that vanished over 1000 years ago: Angkor. The disappearance of this empire remains a mystery still to be solved and no other culture or civilisation can be compared to that of Angkor.

New Show: Los Misterios de Angkor (The Mysteries of Angkor)

Are you ready? After navigating the mysterious river full of the dangers, temples, tribes, sphinxes and legendary beasts of Angkor, the newest attraction at PortAventura (located in the area of Angkor), and crossing the Esplanade of the Elephants, the sacred avenue that welcomes you to Angkor, you will arrive at the secret square, where you will be surprised firsthand by the new show Los Misterios de Angkor. No less than six fabulous acrobats will leave you absolutely stunned as they show off their skills on the sand. You will be amazed with their spins and leaps, which will transport you to the depths of the Asian jungle. You will also be astounded by their impressive command of the Water Meteors: they must be seen to be believed! So, if you've ever desired to delve into the depths of the savage jungle, the way lit by torches and unnerving wild sounds all around, and to learn the mysteries of an ancient culture, PortAventura is now giving you the chance.

Enjoy a magical representation of a great civilization that vanished without a trace; considered the largest religious structure ever built and one of the most important archaeological treasures in the world: the temple of Angkor.

Lovers of mystery and adventure will not want to miss this incredible show. Arm yourself with courage, cut a path through the thick jungle and embark on a PortAventura show that will definitely not disappoint.

POV. :)

Very nice theming, though it's odd that the people in the village are just static models rather than being at least basic animatronics.

The theming is beautiful. However it's a long ride time and you can't help but feel its a tad boring, it would have been better if they could have made it so more was going on. Also unless I just couldn't hear it in the video it's lacking some nice ride music.

:)

Sam said:
POV. :)

Very nice theming, though it's odd that the people in the village are just static models rather than being at least basic animatronics.

The village people do move as well as the animals, you have to hit the targets around the course to activate them :) I think the attraction will look much better once the foliage has grown.

It looks like a modern take on Jungle Rafts at Europa or Africa Cruise at Nigloland. Nice theming although not as incredible as I had hoped. Meh. It's a splash battle...

AstroDan said:
It looks like a modern take on Jungle Rafts at Europa or Africa Cruise at Nigloland. Nice theming although not as incredible as I had hoped. Meh. It's a splash battle...

Not as incredible as you'd hoped!? What was you expecting! And yes it's still a Splash Battle.