• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

James said:
Surly we know by now concept art is nearly always over exaggerated! Once the vegetation grows it *should* look better and feel more like a 'jungle'.

It is but you must admit that PA hit it better than most, take shambhala for example:

CIMG070.jpg

Shambhala_entrance.JPG

Minus the big trees the concept art matches the entrance pretty well, well the sign anyway :)

You know what... your right, little bit exaggerated but compared to Towers it's bang on! ;)

I honestly don't see what the problem is here. For what it is, it looks fantastic. It's a small scale filler attraction. Very few parks would bother to lavish this amount of theming on such a minor ride.

th720_791fa85ed31a84b43988fcc78b4a8186.JPG

If this were in the UK, it would be the finest example of theming built here well... ever. As for the plants, short of uprooting a square Kilometre of Cambodian jungle and replanting it in Salou, I don't know what the park were supposed to do. It will grow, just be patient.

I don't understand how some people can defend the lacklustre efforts that Merlin make over here whilst berating new rides overseas that are clearly in a different league.

CGM said:
I don't understand how some people can defend the lacklustre efforts that Merlin make over here whilst berating new rides overseas that are clearly in a different league.

Because it's a splash battle. Themed beautifully or not, they are dreadful rides, and however nice the frame, it cannot obscure the picture. Whether at PA, EP, Towers or Phantasialand they are crap. Total crap.

Sam said:
CGM said:

Because it's a splash battle. Themed beautifully or not, they are dreadful rides, and however nice the frame, it cannot obscure the picture. Whether at PA, EP, Towers or Phantasialand they are crap. Total crap.

I don't get the splash battle hate either. They're fun, interactive rides suitable for everyone. They don't work in the UK because the climate's not suitable but in the blazing heat of the Spanish summer, they're ideal, welcome even.

Actually I take it back. It's not mediocre it is in fact pretty beautiful and lavish theming.

It's just not quite the concept art, but then few things ever are.

:)

This is pretty much perfect for PA as a filler ride. It's the climate where you would welcome a ride on a Splash Battle to cool off and the theming is brilliant. Sure it's not the most exciting addition and it's not going to make you want to rush back to the park, but there really isn't anything wrong with it.

:)

They still need a dark ride...

But, can't really complain for the park to have a water ride in that area of the park, and I'm not against parks in suitable climates building Splash Battles either...

I don't see why everyone is saying it doesnt look like the concepts, much like Shambhala it is near identical to the images released. From my views of seeing attractions being constructed rides look nothing like the concepts so Id say Angkor is pretty spot on!

As for Dark Rides, PortAventura have already said they won't be building any, as they have done the research and found people who visit PortAventura want to be outdoors in the sun and heat, not inside. Therefore they would continue to build outdoor attractions.

Last year PortAventura opened a new indoor attraction El Secreto De Los Mayas along side Sea Odyssey and Templo Del Fuego so I personally think the line up is fine at the moment.

siralgenon said:
As for Dark Rides, PortAventura have already said they won't be building any, as they have done the research and found people who visit PortAventura want to be outdoors in the sun and heat, not inside. Therefore they would continue to build outdoor attractions.

Last year PortAventura opened a new indoor attraction El Secreto De Los Mayas along side Sea Odyssey and Templo Del Fuego so I personally think the line up is fine at the moment.

Slight contradiction there. ;)

The general manager of the park said in an interview last year that people do enjoy being outdoors more due to the weather. Although he said the park will look into possible dark rides to build in future. So it's not completely ruled off the table.

I think a dark ride would work well. As long as it's well themed (not a problem for PA) and has air conditioning (a frequent problem at PA apart from in shops) people will enjoy it greatly. I highly doubt a dark ride would be a risk taker. If anything it extends their portfolio.

James said:
siralgenon said:

Slight contradiction there. ;)

The general manager of the park said in an interview last year that people do enjoy being outdoors more due to the weather. Although he said the park will look into possible dark rides to build in future. So it's not completely ruled off the table.

I think a dark ride would work well. As long as it's well themed (not a problem for PA) and has air conditioning (a frequent problem at PA apart from in shops) people will enjoy it greatly. I highly doubt a dark ride would be a risk taker. If anything it extends their portfolio.

Yes I know ;) So you should be happy they built one ;)

I dark ride would work well at PA, but I don't think it's a problem there aren't many. On the subject of Aircon, I think that would contradict the point of Templo Del Diego...

You'll be saddened to hear I think El Secreto De Los Mayas is awful. A mirror maze just doesn't work for me at a theme park. It's an ok filler attraction though.

When I say air con I was referring generally to the buildings around the park. Apart from the shops most buildings and restaurants suffer with no or very outdated crap air con. Obviously Temple of Fire is irrelevant to that. :p

They've always been fine for me, that's the only reason I go in them is to cool down. Which restaurants are you referring to?

And I agree it's nothing major, but I also have to say it's the biggest and best themed mirror maze I've been in so I don't see it as a negative and think it's still a good addition to the Park.

The mirror maze still suffers from Merlin-esque 'don't look up' syndrome - if you do you'll see the warehouse ceiling!

I'm not PA's biggest fan but I do think this splash battle looks better than most. I like the longer more interesting route and the fact you're not in the same line of fire at all times. However I also agree that it seems to have a big footprint that could have been used for something more interesting (or at least the ride could have featured more 'Jungle Cruise' elements)

As for the two coasters looming over the attraction - well, one is supposed to be a mountain and the other is a dragon! We just need to fill in the gaps with our vivid and childlike imaginations, I guess!

I think people would be more positive about this ride if it wasn't a splash battle, I doubt there'd be anywhere near this level of negativity if it had POTC style boats.

Even in hot weather splash battles aren't great rides though - if I wanted to get wet I'd far rather ride a rapds, log flume or giant flume, and PA has good examples of all 3.

It does look stunning and it will do well generally, regardless of what enthusiasts believe.

If only we had rides with half the amount of detail over here. :S

A quick sum up of the new shows and attractions coming to PortAventura this year which have just appeared over the last few days:

New and Renovated Attractions for 2014
As well as Angkor there are some other new additions coming to PortAventura Park this year!

- Los Mundos De Woody - A new walk-through attraction based on the Parks mascot Woody
Woodpecker in Mexico.
- Sea Odyssey: Submarine Odyssey - A new film in the popular Sea Odyssey 4D attraction.
- Templo Del Fuego - A new storyline for the Parks special effects attraction in Mexico.

New Shows for 2014
- Generation Forever (Gran Teatro Maya, Mexico and Gran Teatre Imperial, China)
- Sand Animation (China)
- Los Misterios De Angkor (Asia)
- Vuela Con SesamoAventura (SesamoAventura)
- La Magica Del Far West (Penitence Saloon, Far West)

Renovated Shows for 2014
- Sesamo Parade (Mediterrania)
- FiestAventura (Mediterrania)
- Aloha Tahiti (Polynesia)
- Pareos En Bora Bora (Polynesia)
- Bubblebou (Temple Magic Ling Chou, China)
- Bang Bang West (Western Stunt Show Arena, Far West)

It's a pity that Templo del Fuego is shut till June.

I've never been on it in spite of two visits to PA over the years...

Making improvements to Templo del Fuego is pretty pointless while it still has such limited opening hours. In October, it was open for a grant total of 10 hours a week. This is ostensibly a headline attraction.

BigAl said:
It does look stunning and it will do well generally, regardless of what enthusiasts believe.

The Gash Battles at Towers/EP/Phantasia are all chronically underused, even in good weather. I've only ever seen a queue for one when it's absolutely scorching fry-an-egg-on-the-pavement weather. Even then, I imagine people only go on them because they want to cool down and the good water rides that actually do something have long queues.

Yes, they get you wet when its hot. So does tipping a bottle of water over your head. Besides that, these rides do literally nothing. That's what I find most offensive about them. I agree with John - why bother when PA have three other decent (and wet) water rides? Having guns on the boats actually detracts from the ride - like Duel, you can just sit and pretend they aren't there, but it lessens the enjoyment of the theming when everyone else is preoccupied with the guns.

On a side note, I actually disagree with James and think that the mirror maze is really good. :)