• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

Also - the routes BETWEEN hotels are horrendous. We walked from Gold River to Hotel Portaventura and it took 30 minutes via awful roads with no footpaths...

I got lost on that road once and I wasn't even heading for the Hotels, just trying to find the park entrance :p
It was such a quiet day they hadn't open the main driveway yet, I was only there half an hour early.

20th Anniversary Update

New for 2015: Hotel Gold River expansion - 'The Callaghan's Building'

As well as the new 5* Hotel Mansion De Lucy for 2015, PortAventura are expanding the ever popular Hotel Gold River with The Callaghan's Building adding yet more 4*Superior rooms to the Resort's largest hotel.
1novedad_hotel_gold_river_974x434_en.jpg

Hmm, as much as I love new accommodation, PA is a bit like Alton Towers in the respect that they have the hotels, but not the facilities or entertainments to keep guests occupied. It's okay in the summer as you can go into the theme park at night till midnight. Although outside of that you lose out.

I think they need to look at expanding the theme park and offerings there before expanding accommodation. Particularly they could do with a large scale dark ride.

I've never understood why PA never built a dark ride in the first place, given the temperatures Spain gets at points of the year...

When the only indoor rides are Templo and a Mirror Maze it's pretty strange...

It baffles me too - especially when parks like Efteling, Europa-Park, Phantasialand etc. have all invested in indoor attractions of late.

Hmm, as much as I love new accommodation, PA is a bit like Alton Towers in the respect that they have the hotels, but not the facilities or entertainments to keep guests occupied. It's okay in the summer as you can go into the theme park at night till midnight. Although outside of that you lose out.

I think they need to look at expanding the theme park and offerings there before expanding accommodation. Particularly they could do with a large scale dark ride.

I'm not saying this to start a war ;) I'm just interested. Each PortAventura Hotel has an entertainments club and / or venue for evening entertainments and shows. What other Theme Park hotels have more than that?

Last edited:
When I stayed at Hotel PortAventura there was stuff for the kids, but the bar closed at 10.30pm and I don't recall seeing any entertainment for adults.

Perhaps it was because it wasn't the peak of summer.

Each PortAventura Hotel has an entertainments club and / or venue for evening entertainments and shows. What other Theme Park hotels have more than that?

As Dan said, at Hotel PA the bar was shut at 10:30. After that, there was literally nothing for guests to do but go to their rooms. At EP (taken as an example purely because I'm more familiar with the park) all of the bars open until midnight at least, and Bar Colosseo is usually open until 2 or 3am.

In a country which is so evening-focused that most people don't eat until at least 9, this is very odd.

It is odd, actually - because Spain is one of the Med countries where life really does begin after dark! Many of them sleep in the day, so you can imagine the surprise at the bar closing at 10.30pm. And other groups who have been have said similar things about the bars in the hotels closing so early.

The usual take is "just go to Salou", which is fine I guess, but then... I don't really *like* Salou...! I guess there's the more historic Taragonna!

...I really feel that PortAventura need to look at inter-connecting the hotels via shuttles or something if the park is closed. It's a major resort and one where it is a pleasure to spend time sitting and chilling in the evening. But the current inability to easily walk from, say, Gold River to Hotel PortAventura (or another hotel) is not pleasant - those surrounding roads are really horrible - with poor paths and are badly lit, too.

I also find it odd that the resort can house 5 hotels, yet outside of the main season the park is only open weekends.

I also find it odd that the resort can house 5 hotels, yet outside of the main season the park is only open weekends.

The hotels actually shut down and alternate opening during parts of the off season, with Hotel PortAventura and Gold River being open the majority of the time I believe.

Fully agree that the links between the hotels really need improvement. You can sort of get between Gold River and the other hotels via the park and entrance plaza, but only when the park is open (I have only ever visited in the Summer). We actually chose not to go to the waterpark from Gold River because there was no way of getting there for opening time, despite the back of the waterpark being right next to the hotel.

20th Anniversary

A message from PortAventura:

2015 CELEBRATING OUR 20TH ANNIVERSARY: GET READY FOR THE UNTHINKABLE
Since the very first day that it opened, PortAventura has continued to grow, innovate and reinvent itself to surprise guests year after year. In 1995, a theme park was born, with 5 theme areas and rides that, from the beginning, were noticeably different from the rest: the great Dragon Khan, which in its day broke various records (8 inversions and the highest vertical loop in the world) and the iconic Tutuki Splash. The park continued to expand with new first-rate attractions such as Stampida, Hurakan Condor, Furius Baco and Shambhala, Europe’s highest roller coaster. It also incorporated new spectacular areas such as SésamoAventura and in 2013 completely refurbished Costa Caribe Aquatic Park, doubling the size of the most varied water park in Europe. All of this has contributed to PortAventura becoming a unique holiday destination and one of the best places in the world to spend an amazing holiday.

In 2015 PortAventura will be 20 years old and we want to celebrate in style. In these 20 years we have grown to include within our facilities: more than 30 rides, one of the best water parks in Europe, three fully-themed 4-star hotels, one 4-star superior hotel and one 5-star hotel, exclusive shows from Cirque du Soleil and, for 2016, the Scuderia Ferrari races into PortAventura in a new and exciting theme park that will be known as Ferrari Land and will include, among other wonders, a luxury 5-star hotel, a real racing circuit and Europe’s tallest and fastest vertical accelerator.

Whether with your family, partner or friends, for our twentieth anniversary you will experience unforgettable moments, magnificent theming, new shows and much more.

PortAventura’s 20th anniversary will be full of surprises and excitement. Can you bear to miss out?

We’ll be waiting for you!