• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

There is nothing wrong with the vast majority of discussion in this topic. People's views are largely backed up with evidence. John even posted pictorial evidence for his point.

Much of the criticism is simply being given short shrift as inane negativity without anyone actually countering the points with their own view.

If you feel criticism is unfair, then please respond to individual points rather than just declaring a campaign against the park.

Reactions: Sam

A blast from the past, quite literally. I've just come across the pre-show audio for FiestAventura from 1999. There are strong rumours that for the 20th Anniversary FiestAventura will be updated both with the story and the technology. Being 16 years old now, after visiting the Park every year I'd personally like to see FiestAventura re-branded and modernised a new lake show altogether. I just wondered whether you guys would prefer a brand new show, or you'd just like to see the original show modified?

I am not trying to cause unrest here but one thing which I've always found very odd and which seems to be a recurring theme in this thread as well as others is the opinion that some people have arguing that PortAventura doesn't have enough coasters. I find this argument very strange because, when put head to head against most other European parks, PA comes out very favourably particularly in terms of thrill coasters. Where I think that the park is lacking is in rides for pre-teenage children of ages 7-12 who are likely to be too old for Sesamo but too small for the major coasters. This is where interactive dark rides and possibly a family water coaster would be of benefit. Thrill coaster wise though, PA are easily ahead of the likes of Efteling, Phantasialand and Parc Asterix for example.

Just to be clear I know that a good theme park isn't all about thrill rides, I'm just making the point that I find it odd that people say PA are lacking in this area and level criticism at the park because of it.

I think it's more that they have a lack of "good" coasters. Obviously Shambala is amazing and Dragon Khan is respected but Stampida is naff, furious backache is excruciating and their mine train is dull.

They have enough coasters by quantity. Certainly.

Next year will add a good one so they'll have 3 good coasters. Fantastic news.

But even if you don't think much of Stampida, which is an opinion not shared by everyone, PA having two coasters which you enjoy together with its great theming and spectacular shows is still up there or ahead of most of European parks. Phantasialand has what, one good thrill coaster. I don't think anyone would be mad enough to say Temple of the Nighthawk or Winjas are anything particularly exciting. Asterix has only two good thrill coasters, most people dislike Gouderix, Efteling has two good coasters, an OK dark coaster and Python which is rubbish, Gardaland has one or maybe now two good B&Ms and then two pretty poor Vekomas. I could go on to talk about other European parks I've visited but you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong I still like these parks and even if PA only had Shambhala and Khan for thrill coasters I would still say it was a great park but it seems that most parks in Europe (with a few obvious exceptions) only have two decent thrill coasters, yet PA seem to get labelled by some members of this forum as the devil of European theme parks. I agree with some of the criticism levelled at the park but some of it is just really unfair. They have two coaster which everyone seems to agree are superb, another two coasters which very much decide opinion but are loved by many, spectacular shows, great theming and the only thing to really let them down is operations. So I really don't see why the hatred for the place is SO strong from some people. I've enjoyed all but two of the parks I've visited in mainland Europe but I've liked them for different reasons. PA is, for me, one of the better ones. Having said that I've yet to visit Mirabilandia which looks superb :)

Shame all the parks listed have better dark rides than PA...

And there in lies the issue, beyond the ents (of which the other parks listed also do quite well, Asterix's shows are a particular delight) and theming (although only in the area, nothing stands up to the queues of Phantasialand), as an overall park it's just not as good as some of the other bigger European parks...

But even if you don't think much of Stampida, which is an opinion not shared by everyone, PA having two coasters which you enjoy together with its great theming and spectacular shows is still up there or ahead of most of European parks. Phantasialand has what, one good thrill coaster. I don't think anyone would be mad enough to say Temple of the Nighthawk or Winjas are anything particularly exciting. Asterix has only two good thrill coasters, most people dislike Gouderix, Efteling has two good coasters, an OK dark coaster and Python which is rubbish, Gardaland has one or maybe now two good B&Ms and then two pretty poor Vekomas. I could go on to talk about other European parks I've visited but you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong I still like these parks and even if PA only had Shambhala and Khan for thrill coasters I would still say it was a great park but it seems that most parks in Europe (with a few obvious exceptions) only have two decent thrill coasters, yet PA seem to get labelled by some members of this forum as the devil of European theme parks. I agree with some of the criticism levelled at the park but some of it is just really unfair. They have two coaster which everyone seems to agree are superb, another two coasters which very much decide opinion but are loved by many, spectacular shows, great theming and the only thing to really let them down is operations. So I really don't see why the hatred for the place is SO strong from some people. I've enjoyed all but two of the parks I've visited in mainland Europe but I've liked them for different reasons. PA is, for me, one of the better ones. Having said that I've yet to visit Mirabilandia which looks superb :)

If you actually take all of the posts in this topic on balance, you will note that nobody has actually said they "hate" PortAventura. By constantly repeating how the criticism is unfair, you are only serving to encourage members to repeatedly counter what you say! The most scathing point of view from a single member is that it is the best of Europe's 2nd tier parks. That is as bad as it gets. I personally disagree with that as I do think PA overall is in the top league of European parks. Most of us generally like PortAventura and have been more than once.There are merely issues with the park; all of which quite frankly, are reasonably fair.

+ The park has excellent shows
- The shows often don't run every day and on some days entertainment is poor

+ The park have high capacity rollercoasters
- The park often don't run them on high capacity and Baco's is inherently poor

+ The park have a wide range of rides
- Some smaller rides are closed on some days and only 1 ride is indoors

+ The park offer good value Fastrack
- The park is perceived as difficult to enjoy properly on all but the quieter days without it due to the cattle pens. Too much Fastrack is sold which, combined with the poor operations at times, results in poor queue movement for everyone else

+ The park have 4 major rollercoasters. Shambhala and Dragon Khan are generally considered as good on enthusiast forums.
- Furius Baco, El Diablo and Stampida are generally considered as poor on enthusiast forums.

+ The park has good opening hours
- Often, many of the biggest rides don't open until up to 2 hours after park closing, and some close much earlier than close.

+ The park have more hotels than any other in Europe aside from Disneyland Paris
- The hotels are too big and they are not integrated into the resort well at all. Furthermore, facilities are often lacking - i.e. the bar at Hotel PA closes often at 10.30pm.

Enter Valhalla, I challenge you to counter any of the above points.

For the record, PortAventura is most certainly in my top 10 parks in Europe. It is most definitely a good park. I just don't find it quite the finished article that some do.

I will be looking forward to my Ferrari experience in 2016 very much indeed!

:)

Last edited:
To be fair Dan, I don't think I've disagreed with any of the points which you have made other than the fact that I personally enjoy Stampida and Baco. I'm not trying to counter every bit of negativity that people level at the park. I am the first to admit that PortAventura does have its faults. I just think that some people have far too much venom towards the park and really won't give it a chance. I agree with all of your points above but I don't think that enthusiast opinions of the coasters necessarily represent the feelings of the majority of the park guests.

My initial objection was to the way a certain member of the forum said that PA's efforts are meaningless unless they remove Baco and Stampida. Why would they remove two of their most popular rides just to please some enthusiasts? PA aren't stupid. I'm sure they regularly ask for guest feedback through questionnaires and people walking around with tablets etc. I'm sure if the majority of guests told them that they didn't like these rides PA wouldn't continue to promote them so heavily and would be looking to remove them in the long term. The same member also said that if people liked these two coasters then they hadn't been to many parks. This is something which I also strongly disagree with.

To me the great positive of Portaventura are the amazing vistas across the park. The rides though numerous are often mediocre or painful.

ITS almost the opposite of Towers, which has decent hardware but mediocre theming (there are exceptions) where PA has great theming but mediocre hardware (again there are exceptions).

Baco and stampida are horrendous rides though.

To be fair Dan, I don't think I've disagreed with any of the points which you have made other than the fact that I personally enjoy Stampida and Baco. I'm not trying to counter every bit of negativity that people level at the park. I am the first to admit that PortAventura does have its faults. I just think that some people have far too much venom towards the park and really won't give it a chance. I agree with all of your points above but I don't think that enthusiast opinions of the coasters necessarily represent the feelings of the majority of the park guests.

My initial objection was to the way a certain member of the forum said that PA's efforts are meaningless unless they remove Baco and Stampida. Why would they remove two of their most popular rides just to please some enthusiasts? PA aren't stupid. I'm sure they regularly ask for guest feedback through questionnaires and people walking around with tablets etc. I'm sure if the majority of guests told them that they didn't like these rides PA wouldn't continue to promote them so heavily and would be looking to remove them in the long term. The same member also said that if people liked these two coasters then they hadn't been to many parks. This is something which I also strongly disagree with.

Thanks for that. However, don't allow the more extreme end of the opinion-spectrum dominate the headlines... like I said, most people, whilst they have reservations about PA, have been before, will go again - and do generally enjoy it.

I certainly don't dispute you liking the the likes of Furius Baco and Stampida. As an example closer to home, the public love Air but most of us think it's boring and bland! Further examples could be Goudurix at Parc Astérix which if it was that much detested, Astérix would have taken it down by now... and similarly, Python at Efteling!

Ultimately, if the ride is popular and gets a queue, then fine and dandy. But it doesn't mean I will change my opinion.

I must agree with Dave. The open vistas across the park are the single best thing about PortAventura.

I'd hardly say Porta is "the Devil". After all, it could be worse... it could be a part of the Merlin empire (yay for Tussauds selling it off!)

God yeah... imagine if PA had become a Merlin park... the operations would drastically improve for a start...

New 5* hotels 'Hotel Golf Sur' and 'Hotel Playa' coming soon.

Two new PortAventura Partner hotels are on the cards as part of the new Lumine Mediterranea Beach & Golf Community development. Much like Disneyland Paris Partner hotels: Radisson Blu and Magic Circus, the hotels are to be built in the PortAventura Resort next to the Lumine Golf Courses and Beach Club but run by an external company.

5* Hotel Golf Sur (Golf Hotel) is to include 225 bedrooms, a restaurant, bar, pools and views overlooking the Lumine Golf Courses.

5* Hotel Playa (Beach Hotel) is to be situated next to Lumine Beach Club and will feature views overlooking the pine woods of the Lumine Golf Courses on one side and PortAventura's Private Beach on the other.

The new hotel developments are to be constructed as part of a new development within the Lumine Mediterranea Beach & Golf Community along side 6 new living accommodation communities. The exact construction dates are currently unknown however the Lumine website says the hotels will be coming 'very shortly'. Information can be found on the Lumine website through PortAventura.com.

This could mean within the next few years PortAventura Resort will consist of 8 on-site hotels:

PortAventura Hotels:
  • Hotel PortAventura
  • Hotel Gold River
  • Hotel Mansion De Lucy
  • Hotel El Paso
  • Hotel Caribe
  • Hotel Ferrari
PortAventura Partner Hotels:
  • Hotel Golf Sur
  • Hotel Playa

More hotels - brilliant!! They'll be more hotel capacity than park capacity by 2030!

The Resort Hotels are rapidly increasing in numbers, however I think the intention for these hotels will be for guests visiting for Lumine Golf and Beach Club as opposed to the Parks. They seem to be aimed at a completely different target market. As for Park hotels I don't think six will be enough!

Why the hell do they need more hotels? Half the ones they've got at the moment are mothballed for parts of the year because occupancy is so low...

How feasible is a one day trip to PA? I want to go but I don't want to faff about with staying over and paying for hotels and such