• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

I don't particularly enjoy it, but nor do I loathe it. The concept and idea behind the thing paired with the theming is great, the ride however not so much. The layout is unbelievably bland and the current trains cripple the entire experience. Installing new trains that throw the awful back jolting to the wind would further emphasis how dull the layout is, so ultimately it'll be a coaster that can never win.

I'd say it's less "Marmite" and more "Haggis". A few strange weirdos like that sort of thing, but the vast majority of people regard them as mad.

If you're talking about enthusiasts then I'd agree, most dislike it, but a small number of enthusiasts (including myself) do enjoy it. I personally rate it more highly than a lot of coasters which are more widely liked by enthusiasts, like iSpeed for example.

When we look at the public however, and they're the ones who really matter to the park, it's a widely liked coaster. Whilst I have no actual evidence to support this, it gets long queues on busy days, often double that of the big coasters and at quiet periods I frequently see people stay on to re-ride.

The closing of seats is a big issue, no fan of Baco can deny this, but it surely won't stay like this forever? The park will be working to rectify this and I'd say that people who will have complained/ made claims regarding these seats are likely to be people who have mistaken the vibrations for them being in genuine danger which is probably why this ride will receive more complaints and claims than your average coaster. Let's not forget that even if the claims are nonsense the park don't want to be tied up in claims and court cases nor do they want to be wasting man hours responding to complaints so it's in their best interests to close those seats for the time being. Hopefully it'll be rectified soon though.

Where's all this stuff come from about claims? Do we even know the rows are closed because of the vibrations, it could be because of the restraints? They've had to do that before on Baco.

When we look at the public however, and they're the ones who really matter to the park, it's a widely liked coaster. Whilst I have no actual evidence to support this, it gets long queues on busy days, often double that of the big coasters and at quiet periods I frequently see people stay on to re-ride.

If the public love it so much and it is a very popular ride then why have Intamin sold a grand total of zero further models of their launched wing coaster? Says it all really! Then B&M come along with their version and they fly off the shelves.
Where's all this stuff come from about claims? Do we even know the rows are closed because of the vibrations, it could be because of the restraints? They've had to do that before on Baco.

Well considering it exactly the same seats on both trains, all outside seats, it does imply that it is something to do with the vibrations and rider experience. It would be somewhat of a coincidence if the same restraints on both trains were broken. And it's not that they can't get them open either, as all of the closed seats have their restraints secured closed with those plastic strap things to ensure that they don't open with the rest of the restraints!

:)

If the public love it so much and it is a very popular ride then why have Intamin sold a grand total of zero further models of their launched wing coaster? Says it all really! Then B&M come along with their version and they fly off the shelves.

I don't think the public decide what rides theme parks buy. The ride system for the Haunted House at Alton Towers is the only one of it's kind and that was an extremely popular ride. So I don't think the ride type has got anything to do with it. Yes due to its roughness they probably didn't build anymore of that ride type, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a popular attraction, it just means it has a design flaw.

I don't think the public decide what rides theme parks buy. The ride system for the Haunted House at Alton Towers is the only one of it's kind and that was an extremely popular ride. So I don't think the ride type has got anything to do with it. Yes due to its roughness they probably didn't build anymore of that ride type, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a popular attraction, it just means it has a design flaw.

Point proven! Thanks - they have not sold any more because it is rough and has a design flaw. The hallmarks of a bad coaster. It should be noted that popularity does not correlate with how good a coaster is - looking simply at queues Rita is more popular than Oblivion and Nemesis. Is Rita better? No!

I've never said it doesn't have a design flaw. Whoever designed it made a major mistake somewhere along the line, but just because of that doesn't mean its a bad ride. It's down to taste, I know a lot of people who wouldn't ride Oblivion but love Rita. The opinions of 'Rita is crap' and 'Furius Baco is crap' are more the opinions of the forum than the general public. What evidence is there to prove that Oblivion is better than Rita?

It's infinitely more reliable and has no need for an eyesore of scaffolding to be situated anywhere under the ride.

Facts, rather than opinion on that one.

I never said Rita is crap, but both Oblivion and Nemesis are better coasters than Rita. Yes it is an opinion but it would generally be accpeted as a fact.

Another reason why you can't use queues to judge popularity - different throughputs and capacities.

Anyway we are drifting off topic somewhat now!

"Better" is a word which should not be used when judging a coaster. It's all down to personal opinions. I personally prefer Rita to Oblivion and I prefer Baco to Dragon Khan. Sue me!

Are we going to have to add Baco's Law to Godwin's Law and Roland's Law?

No conversation about PortAventura (or rough rides) can ever last more than a few pages without going back to Baco.
Everybody just loves it so much they just want to talk about it aaall the time!

#furiusforever

With all these rows closed off, I'm sure that Picsolve will have a case for claiming loss of revenue now that half of the potential photo and video spaces are only occupied by one rider. Another reason why it need to be sorted ASAP.

With all these rows closed off, I'm sure that Picsolve will have a case for claiming loss of revenue now that half of the potential photo and video spaces are only occupied by one rider. Another reason why it need to be sorted ASAP.

I don't think that's a problem. If that was the case they'd have sued Alton Towers for all theyre worth at the moment ;)

I remember riding it at the start of the season last year, and I don't really remember it being too bad (still rough, but not as rough as it has been), though I imagine that was down to it only recently opening.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, with the fact they were closing seats on the train towards the end of last year, I would have throught they had maybe tried to hold out till the end of the year to get new trains (Ideally skyrush style ones), but given they have these new promo videos going out with the old train gives me less faith that could happen.

----

On a side note, new track is going down on Stampida
2q155s0.jpg

qs6vk5.jpg