• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura: General Discussion

I’ve not been to many European parks but I suspect maybe they opt for cattle pens due to the climate as that’s a more compact area to provide shade for rather than a sprawling queue

RMC it would be incredible, I don’t think there’s a true Duelling RMC yet?
Twisted colossus says hello! Although apparently magic mountain don't operate it properly a lot of the time. Anyway I think it's more likely that if they were to RMC it they'd make it single track, which seems to be what happens when RMC convert dueling woodies. That's what happened with Gwazi

Twisted Colossus is technically a Mobius and even then only has one station.

Definitely pushes the distinction of what a 'true' duelling coaster is.

Some examples of how ridiculous the height restrictions are here, Volpaiute is about as tame as a carousel. 1.2mtr height restriction and anyone under 1.4 has to be accompanied by an adult. Magic Fish in Sesame Street the same. Kontiki, which is smaller and less intense than Blade, the same again. So I have a stunningly beautiful daughter that has lapped Wickerman, Taron, FLY, Icon and Wodan (some of these completely on her own) numerous times, yet a year later she needs daddy to hold her hand on a small pirate ship. Angkor is 1.3! Could you imagine if you went to Towers and an 8 year old wasn't trusted to shoot a water pistol? It's absolute madness!

In terms of the rides you mentioned @Matt N I was going to do Red Force tonight. Since you only get 1 FL visit per trip, I've just dipped in and out of the main park at this time of day as it's proven to be the best time for short queues.

Baco is as everyone has already described. Rides like there's gravel on the track and wheels. But I actually enjoyed it. A pre launch show and decent launch followed by a rather fun airtime hill at the end of said launch. Then it just shakes and vibrates you viciously worse than any steel coaster I've been on until you get to the inline twist. This inversion would be awesome on a B&M wing. But this ain't one, so it just deals you some more pain before the last extremely rough turnaround over the lake. For some bizzare reason, they film your discomfort on ride. So the shop at the end consists of multiple TV screens showing everyone's body violently vibrating and smashing their heads into the restraints.

Shambhala, well other than the mid course (which you could say is necessary if they bothered to operate it with 3 trains and didn't take forever to despatch each one, but sadly all but 1 time I've stacked on the brake run) I couldn't fault it. It's mostly what I enjoy in a coaster. A beautiful view and setting, smooth, airtime that delivers on every part of the train pushing you up into the restraint for sustained airtime, no boring parts. I like Silver Star (never ridden Mako) and it leaves it for dust. Not that Silver Star is bad, Shambhala is just better in every way. Feels very fluid and complete without dead spots whereas SS feels more "engineered". I could ride Sham all day long and be perfectly happy.

As you know, Khan was born from a coaster I first rode in 1993 and last rode in 1994. I loved Kumba so much I spent most of a day riding it back in 94 in Busch Gardens Tampa. So DK was hotly anticipated, being the improved layout of something I adored 30 years ago. But Kahn wasn't just rough for a B&M coaster of its age or anything like that. It's just plain rough full stop. Really rough. Surprisingly so. It's awful. I wanted to enjoy it and have ridden it 8 times this week in various rows but every single one is the same. The Zero G, bottom of first drop and bottom of both corkscrews are particular bad points. You'd expect a coaster of it's age to feel a little ear bashy, but this is really bad. On Baco you can avoid the head smashing from the pointless OTSR's because there's space to tense and lean. On DK, with big thick B&M restraints there's no chance! You can't just stick your head out at particular points to avoid being smashed up here. It happens at seemingly random points depending on where you are sat. At least Baco is over sooner. The sad thing is, there's a good coaster in there somewhere. It has a fantastic layout that's intense and great to watch off ride. Like I said, I have fond memories of Kumba from 30 years ago. But everytime I felt some intense G force's and started to enjoy Kahn, it usually meant that a smashing was sure to follow. After 8 attempts, I still haven't "learnt" to ride this coaster. Shame because I don't mind rough if it's an enjoyable ride (Saw), but discomfort takes away the enjoyment from Kahn. It's jolt after jolt more than constant violent vibrations like Baco.

Stampeda I had no problem with. Not mind blowing, not smooth at all. But the only thing that thrilled my daughter (her current top 3 coasters are FLY, Wodan and Taron). I quite liked it. Yet to do red side (doing in this afternoon).

Last edited:
Some examples of how ridiculous the height restrictions are here, Volpaiute is about as tame as a carousel. 1.2mtr height restriction and anyone under 1.4 has to be accompanied by an adult. Magic Fish in Sesame Street the same. Kontiki, which is smaller and less intense than Blade, the same again. So I have a stunningly beautiful daughter that has lapped Wickerman, Taron, FLY, Icon and Wodan (some of these completely on her own) numerous times, yet a year later she needs daddy to hold her hand on a small pirate ship. Angkor is 1.3! Could you imagine if you went to Towers and an 8 year old wasn't trusted to shoot a water pistol? It's absolute madness!
That does seem extremely weird. Why would PA introduce such stupid height restrictions?

That does seem extremely weird. Why would PA introduce such stupid height restrictions?
No Idea. Everything seems to be run on weak settings as well. My daughter is around 1.35 and can't even go on Sesame Street rides without me. If she was the height of the rest of her year 4 class mates, PA would have no problem with her roaming around the park smoking, sticking chewing gum to theming and queue jumping by climbing over barriers and chains in the Shambhala queue line like all the other hoodlums I've seen here this week (some of their teachers have been queue jumping as well, I had to point that out to one of them who did apologise and hold the class back for us, but if teachers are doing it then the kids are going to follow).

This is such a beautiful park, it's just so stressful. I couldn't even enjoy Angkor because a group of teenagers complained to a member of staff about me giving them a good hosing down in the queue line like a bunch of sissy's (hosing down the queue line is an annual tradition on Battle Galleons and all taken in good humour) and no one bothers to interact with the boats because they actually charge spectators to use the pistols! So you have this stunning themed Splash Battle, in its own kind of sub area complete with well designed pathways and bridges and air conditioned shop under the awesome Catalonian Sun. Yet it has a 1.3mtr height restriction, upcharge pistols and having fun on it seems banned!

Regarding RMC conversions Twisted Twins at Kentucky Kingdom was a dueling coaster which was converted into the single tracked Storm Chaser.

I'm just looking at booking our family holiday for next year...we always go out of the main holiday season and i'm looking at salou for the end of september

Looking at different hotels and some have a 3 day package to portaventura....looks like 2 days main park of which one includes FL...the other is the waterpark

Is this enough to do the whole park easily...it's out of the school holidays but that does that matter?

I'm just looking at booking our family holiday for next year...we always go out of the main holiday season and i'm looking at salou for the end of september

Looking at different hotels and some have a 3 day package to portaventura....looks like 2 days main park of which one includes FL...the other is the waterpark

Is this enough to do the whole park easily...it's out of the school holidays but that does that matter?
We booked with Tui and got 3 days at the park not waterpark though. Have to visit 3 days on the bounce though, can't break it up into separate days.

For anyone who is going before 16th June, if you download the Lidl plus app while you’re in Spain you can get 50% off entry. There also seems to be a lot of discount vouchers in local shops. We actually opted for the top level annual pass as we’re returning in September and considering checking out the Christmas event too

IMG_8845.jpeg

PA aren’t as secretive as other parks (I guess because the ride is inside) so I took this wide angle of the area for Uncharted through a gap in the fence. Just waiting on final theming (I presume an entrance feature will be fitted in the foreground)

PortAventura have just released in their Blog that from July 10th Uncharted will open 2 hours before park opening (8:00am) for guests staying in the Far West Resort Area Hotels for ERT, including other Far West attractions from 9:00am!

This is fab news because I'm going on the 17th 😂

Me again, PortAventura have now updated the rides web page to include more general information ahead of its opening next week;

Uncharted will be the first coaster in Europe to have a 'side drop' and 'side launch' whatever that means and will include rotating platforms and visual effects.

As part of PortAventura's plan to be more inclusive to all guests, for guests unable to ride Uncharted due to disabilities there will be an exclusive VR area in the Uncharted Depot store specifically for them to still be able to experience the ride virtually.