• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Quick Questions

Not at all! What’s your idea @Auribus?

Unless you really want to make the thread yourself, in which case I wouldn’t want to take that pleasure away from you… but if you’re not that bothered, then I’d be more than happy to make a thread corresponding to your idea!
I really want you @Matt N to do 'king of threads' to your signature. hahaha

Considering this is a topic for Alton Towers quick questions, let's not divert too much. To clear up your question however @Auribus, if your topic idea is exactly the same as an old one, feel free to post in there and bump it back up, however if it's slightly different, go ahead and create a new one.

Incidentally, we do have an old thread for TS related quick questions, and the Guest Services sub-forum as a whole is used for that too.

Thanks!

Not at all! What’s your idea @Auribus?

Unless you really want to make the thread yourself, in which case I wouldn’t want to take that pleasure away from you… but if you’re not that bothered, then I’d be more than happy to make a thread corresponding to your idea!

Considering this is a topic for Alton Towers quick questions, let's not divert too much. To clear up your question however @Auribus, if your topic idea is exactly the same as an old one, feel free to post in there and bump it back up, however if it's slightly different, go ahead and create a new one.

Incidentally, we do have an old thread for TS related quick questions, and the Guest Services sub-forum as a whole is used for that too.

Thanks!

Not really thread-worthy to be honest. I did a search and saw a number of AT and Merlin annual pass threads that weren't really going anywhere and really belonged in the quick questions thread as they were advice oriented anyway.

Thanks for the thought anyway. :)

Last edited:
How busy does the monorail get after 9pm?

It closed at 9:30pm(ish) when we where there due to maintenance staffing issues when it would have normally closed at 10pm. The queue at the time was to the monorail entrance and we were last to join (just made it after ride on Wicker Man). They did run 3 trains so queue went steadily while been chased up the ramp by the cleaners lol (they should have had witches brooms instead of brushes!).

TBH, On busy days we normally hang around for an hour after and head for monorail just before its line closes. Never had to queue outside yet, but there is always a queue. If your concerned you could always head for last rides on Nemesis and leave using the hotel entrance which is close to the car park (I assume this is always possible even on quiet days).

Something that's really been bothering me recently. I rewatched the Imagineering story the other week on Disney Plus, and in one of the episodes, you can quite clearly hear a piece of music playing in the background that sounds almost identical in tune to the RMT theme music at Towers (probably my favourite track in the whole park). I rewound it a few times, and yep it's definitely there, bar a few changes. I also swear I've heard that music somewhere else before as well but I just don't know where.

So it's got me looking into it now. I remember a few years ago, someone named the composition Towers uses? I can't remember but I know someone had a name attached to that piece. Any ideas what the RMT track is actually called?

Something that's really been bothering me recently. I rewatched the Imagineering story the other week on Disney Plus, and in one of the episodes, you can quite clearly hear a piece of music playing in the background that sounds almost identical in tune to the RMT theme music at Towers (probably my favourite track in the whole park). I rewound it a few times, and yep it's definitely there, bar a few changes. I also swear I've heard that music somewhere else before as well but I just don't know where.

So it's got me looking into it now. I remember a few years ago, someone named the composition Towers uses? I can't remember but I know someone had a name attached to that piece. Any ideas what the RMT track is actually called?

The tracks used are both from a production music album released in 1995 by Mark Russell. The main theme is called "The Adventure Begins" - also the track "Over the Moon" was used at the time too. You can find the album here. :)

The tracks used are both from a production music album released in 1995 by Mark Russell. The main theme is called "The Adventure Begins" - also the track "Over the Moon" was used at the time too. You can find the album here. :)
Thank you so much. That's a great help. I've listened to most of that Album following your link and it's a joy! Very mid 90's, none of it would sound out of place replicated in chip tune in many video games of that era or in a Danny Elfman scored movie.

it is kind of crazy to think what is known to a lot of people as the Katanga Canyon theme is stock production music.

True, but there's also probably a lot of people who don't realise that the main park theme was written by a Norwegian guy over 100 years before the park even opened...

What an absolute banger that is. Not ventured over RMT way in ages now (no rapids or pizza buffet), is that track still used?

Edit: Over The Moon too! The nostalgia <3

True, but there's also probably a lot of people who don't realise that the main park theme was written by a Norwegian guy over 100 years before the park even opened...

See this is the odd thing, when you said "main park theme" I was thinking, not it wasn't, that was Graham Smart in the 80s/90s as I thought you were referencing the Towers St theme. Although In the Hall of the Mountain King is well associated with Alton Towers I've never thought of it as the "theme", just the music that signs off the adverts, like I'm Lovin' It with McDonalds and similar sonic brands.

See this is the odd thing, when you said "main park theme" I was thinking, not it wasn't, that was Graham Smart in the 80s/90s as I thought you were referencing the Towers St theme. Although In the Hall of the Mountain King is well associated with Alton Towers I've never thought of it as the "theme", just the music that signs off the adverts, like I'm Lovin' It with McDonalds and similar sonic brands.
Sonic brands?

Sonic brands?

Sound trademark - Wikipedia

A sound logo that is unique to that brand. So in ATs case ITHOTMK isn't really one as it is not able to be trademarked but it has been known as the sound associated with AT adverts. You could have a radio advert use ITHOTMK and everyone would expect it to be for AT. But I see it as the parks brand more than its theme.
Examples include the 20th Century fanfare, the Intel ping, McDs do-doo-da-da-daa, Netflix's TA-Dummmmm, Sega's say-gaaaaa.

Some great podcasts on this topic from 20 thousand hertz.
Sonic Branding — Twenty Thousand Hertz (20k.org)
I'm Lovin' It — Twenty Thousand Hertz (20k.org)
Ta-dum! It's Netflix — Twenty Thousand Hertz (20k.org)

Ah OK, I'm a child of '87 so my memory doesn't quite go back that far! Think it's fair to say that the Peer Gynt music has now been well and truly adopted by the park as a key theme - there seem to be various permutations of it in a lot of the themed areas.

A sound logo that is unique to that brand. So in ATs case ITHOTMK isn't really one as it is not able to be trademarked but it has been known as the sound associated with AT adverts. You could have a radio advert use ITHOTMK and everyone would expect it to be for AT. But I see it as the parks brand more than its theme.
Examples include the 20th Century fanfare, the Intel ping, McDs do-doo-da-da-daa, Netflix's TA-Dummmmm, Sega's say-gaaaaa.

For a minute I was thinking Sonic the Hedgehog, but yeah - this make more sense! :)

A bit like when Sonic smashes the TV/item box and gets an extra life?