• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Random Memories

Wasn't that in the ice arena?

@GaryH - that was in the Big Top :)

So the equivalent for the Big Top located in the Farm / Storybook Land:

1992-1993: Captain Henry’s Gold: An Adventure on Ice
1994-2001: Peter Rabbit and Friends on Ice
2002-2003: Webmaster: an Adventure on Ice
2004: Circus of Illusion
2005: Circus of Illusion featuring ‘The Twins’
2005 (winter weekends): The Magic of Panto on Ice

There were also various Halloween Ice Shows, I remember the 2001 and 2003 versions quite well. The 2003 version was so popular it was the basis for the replacement of Webmaster and the Circus of Illusion in 2004 was very similar to the Halloween Ice Show.

The Big Top was completely replaced for the 2002 season - the previous version used up until 2001 was much larger but I believe it wasn’t in the best condition towards the end and the pillars often restricted the audience view.

Ahh sorry, I forgot there was another venue back then! It was up by CBeebies land if I recall correctly around by where Nutty Squirrel is? Thanks @AT86 for the information, really useful :)

Ahh sorry, I forgot there was another venue back then! It was up by CBeebies land if I recall correctly around by where Nutty Squirrel is? Thanks @AT86 for the information, really useful :)

Yes it was pretty much the exact footprint of where Big Fun Show Time is today. Access was via the ‘tree trunk’ of Squirrel Nutty where the current CBeebies Photo Studio is now.

There also used to be a show venue where Woodcutters is now located. It had two kinds of show and alternated throughout the day. One was a kids show and the other was called something like Music Powerhouse or Rock Powerhouse?

There also used to be a show venue where Woodcutters is now located. It had two kinds of show and alternated throughout the day. One was a kids show and the other was called something like Music Powerhouse or Rock Powerhouse?

Yep the Festival Park Dome (which was opened as an open air stage in the late 80s and then was covered over with the Dome a few years later). The shows were mainly live music with lots of appearances from Henry Hound.

1988: Henry’s Celebration & Magic Show
1989: Henry’s Festival Spectacular
1990: Henry’s Time Machine
1991: Henry’s Mega Mix
1992: Henry’s Super Sounds
1993: Music Mania
1994-1998: Music Powerhouse & Children’s Fun Factory

In 1999 when UG Land opened the entertainment was shifted to the new area and the Dome was used as a bar/BBQ for a few seasons before it was torn down.

As a kid I loved all this stuff. There was an indoor theatre venue, covered outdoor music venue, Ice Show Venue, 3D cinema, daily parade and character meet and greets, makes today’s entertainment offering seem pretty depressing.

These posts about past shows got me looking through some old literature from the park that has been sat in an old plastic bag for a long time. No idea if this is of interest but it did bring back some memories for me, this is mostly entertainment and hotel related.

I have more stuff, but I don't want to clog up the thread with them if it's not really of interest to others.

First up a leaflet promoting the new hotel for 2003 that was planed to be called "Calypso Springs" at the time and the waterpark was to be known as Splash Landings

mbHsZ2t.jpg

From 2004 when hotel guests received park entry, water park entry, priority access to some rides, early ride time, priority seating at shows among other things

tXt5ed9.jpg

Again 2004, Alton Towers annual passes included one entry to European parks

Zjtg2TX.jpg

2003 - when free fastrack still existed. Technically you could only have one fastrack at a time. Unless you knew where the button was at the back of the machine that would just print a time slot without you having to scan your park ticket that was ;)

FOXtm20.jpg

Anyone remember "Chocolate Towers" from 2006?

J8gx3sm.jpg

Special Events from 2005 including "Sound of Music" week and Scooby Doo on park for the summer

znpn8RU.jpg

Apologies for the long post, if you want me to upload some more let me know, if not - no bother :)

2003 - when free fastrack still existed. Technically you could only have one fastrack at a time. Unless you knew where the button was at the back of the machine that would just print a time slot without you having to scan your park ticket that was ;)
Towards the end we were wise to that trick and disconnected the switch :D

I was little so only have the vaguest of memories. The main thing I remember was the frog, Mr Jeremy Fisher :). Those costumes were amazing.

Does anybody remember the Peter Rabbit on Ice show that used to run around the Mid 90's?

Yep, the scale of the production is so far above anything that the park produce now it’s sad to see how far things have fallen. The venue, sets, outfits, bespoke music, number of cast members etc was impressive. There are some videos on YouTube of the shows.

That one show probably had more staff to run it than the entirety of the ents staff left in the whole resort now.

One downside to the Peter Rabbit show was it led to the killing off of a certain Hound. It was felt having their own mascot would detract from the Peter Rabbit characters that they wanted to push as part of the advertising. It was a certain Mr Varney who was head of marketing at the time I believe.

Who remembers the original Hex preshow? I think it was Professor Graham Nicholson talking about the fallen branch and some wooden acting telling us about a lightning storm coming..?

Who remembers the original Hex preshow? I think it was Professor Graham Nicholson talking about the fallen branch and some wooden acting telling us about a lightning storm coming..?

I very vaguely remember it. It only lasted for the 2000 season I believe? Or maybe not even that long?

A few more random pieces from my 'theme park carrier bag of history' :)

Entertainment schedules that they would hand out as you exited the monorail station at the park entrance, this one from 2002:

BcCbsul.jpg

YdQVMUB.jpg

and 2003:

XCuJ32q.jpg

TgJKCLz.jpg

Top Trumps from 2003, these were given out to hotel guests as part of an 'activity pack':

eaoEQ22.jpg

Original Splash Landings Hotel brochure from 2003 with concept art. If you stayed in the hotel you would get access to Cariba Creek from midday on your arrival day to midday on departure.

yNDCr3M.jpg

6UsW8NN.jpg

awjHm1d.jpg

The winter weekends would see the park open between 10.30am and 2.30pm on Saturday's during the closed season for hotel guests and annual pass holders, selected rides would open:

k2vKXTK.jpg