• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rank Alton's coasters in terms of ride experience

Based on my visit yesterday:

1. Wickerman - just a great all round package and the only coaster that still has most, if not all it’s theming still working.
2. Nemesis - She was running amazingly yesterday and the speed and pacing felt more intense than my previous rides.
3. Oblivion - The one and only. Always a great ride with a sensational drop.
4. Galactica - Silky smooth and a sense of adventure. Shame the ride was hanging though.
5. Rita - Awesome launch and first airtime hill.
6. Spinball - Fun ride, always more intense than I expect.
7. The Smiler - Best parts yesterday were the 2 airtime hills and indoor inversion. The rest was rough as rats.
8. Thirteen - Just about OK. Fun first drop, especially on the back row.
9. RMT - Is what it is. I always give it a ride and can’t imagine Towers without it.

Last edited:
1. Wickerman - Edges Nemmy due to different ride experience depending on conditions/seating position. Only negative is the bloody preshow and the scrum that follows.
2. Nemesis - Should be no1 but WM just takes it.
3. The Smiler - Former no1 in its earlier years, rougher and less enjoyable over the past 2 years, used to ride this 4+ times a visit, now 2 max.
4. Rita - Love a launch coaster, much like 6 & 8 not much after the 1 element/gimmick.
5. Spinball - Enjoy this ride more than I should, better and more intense than Dragons Fury.
6. Thirteen - It's alright
7. Galactica - Snoozefest
8. Oblivion - Spend more time on the breakrun than on the ride, good drop but meh now.
9. RMT - Good for the little uns, needs to go along with the rapids KC could do with a new themed area.
10. Octonaughts.

Thought I'd rank them based on the 2022 season.
1. Smiler
2. Nemesis
3. Wicker
4. Rita
5. Th13teen
6. Galactica
7. Oblivion
I can't believe how much Oblivion has dropped since 2021. Think it was 4th then but honestly I don't get anything from it anymore. I just don't feel the drop anymore I get more of a stomach drop feeling on th13teens track drop

Based on the ride experience:
1: Nemesis 😍😍🥰🥰
2: The Smiler
3: Rita
4: Oblivion
5: Wickerman
6: Galactica
7: TH13TEEN
8: RMT
9: Spinball Whizzer
10: Octonauts

Finally conquered my long phobia of coasters this year and got to AT 3 times between September and now, had plenty of re-rides on all of these:

1. Galactica - Sentimental due to it being my first big ride, never get bored of the flying position and the section on your back. Got a front row ride on the last ride of the night on my scarefest visit too, loved this in the dark.

2. Nemesis - Glad I timed finally riding this when I did, loved my rides on both the front and back row. Constant action from the top of the lift hill all the way to the brake run, will miss riding this in 2023.

3. Smiler - My first ride on this the ride broke down as we entered the station, waited 40 minutes and rewarded with a front row ride and wow. The jolt in the second section isn't the most comfortable but LOVE that second airtime hill and generally had smooth rides on this.

4. Wicker Man - Just seeing and watching this ride in the dark is incredible. Need to get a back row ride on this next year, I can see why theres so much fuss over wooden coasters after riding this. Great experience, my favourite in the park for theming.

5. Oblivion - This ride still intimates me every time I approach to ride it. The main thing that put me off rides before this year was that huge drop. But always feel some kind of accomplishment after riding this, also love the views you get at the top of the lift hill!

6. Rita - I know Rita doesn't get much love on here and it is too short. However, I love that launch and some of the airtime I've had riding this.

7. Spinball Whizzer - Not the most comfortable for me being quite tall and broad shouldered. However, for me it gives a fun and unpredictable ride. Wouldn't queue more than 20 minutes for it, haven't had many re-rides due to its long queues on my visits.

8. Th13teen - Enjoyed my first ride on this, but not enjoyed my re-rides as much. The most fun I've had on this was on a solo trip, the bloke next to me had no idea about the vertical drop and his reaction was amazing.

9. Runaway Mine Train - The one ride I'd been on as a kid, it is what it is. Fun little ride and a good chill ride to break up the day a bit. Choo choo!

Back in this thread for my 2023 rankings based on the few visits I've had this year.
1. Smiler- feels like a cheat code having a ride this good at my local. Feel lucky to live so close to it.
2. Wicker man- best overall package by a long way. The ride itself is amazing I really do love it.
3. Rita- used to hate this ride but now I thinks it's criminally underrated. Pretty snappy launch, some great forces and a bit of ejector at the end. Basic layout but a lot of fun nonetheless
4. Th13teen- Its alright tbf not got a problem with it. Nice theme, great hidden element and it's always hilarious seeing reactions of first time riders as it drops.
5. Oblivion- Don't ride it much anymore. Find the drop tame I've ridden it that much. The forces at the bottom of the tunnel are good.
6. Galactica- never really been a flying coaster fan. Very smooth but almost too smooth tbh. It's so tame there's no thrill to it you could literally fall asleep on it. Great music tho still one of my favourite soundtracks

Rode 6 of the 9 operational coasters last Friday (Spinball was closed, didn’t have time for RMT, wasn’t going to ride Octonauts). Here’s how they stand.
1 - The Smiler (3 rides)
2 - Wicker Man (3 rides) - best airtime I’ve ever had on it
3 - Rita (3 rides) - riding the best it ever has, could’ve been second if Wicker Man wasn’t on top form
4 - Oblivion (2 rides)
5 - Thirteen (3 rides) - seemed to trim much more than I’ve ever remembered before, first drop and drop track still 2 park highlights for me, just a shame the rest of it isn’t up to scratch really
6 - Galactica - seriously does nothing for me anymore. Was my favourite 14 years ago when I first went. If there’s a time next year when I ride all 10, this could quite easily be in 8th, just above Spinball and Octonauts as I’m assuming I’ll like Nemesis much more without the headbanging.

Right I’m bringing this thread back from the dead it’s @Matt N best thread so deserves some attention. I’ve had the chance to ride all the big 7 this season and this list is gonna shock you.
1. Nemesis
2. Wicker man
3. Rita
4. Oblivion
5. Galactica
6. Smiler
7. Th13teen
Now I will give smiler some credit and say I’ve had some pretty smooth rides on it so far. I will admit I’ve not been at my best recently I might’ve had covid so it’s certainly had its toll on Smilers ranking. My few goes I’ve had on it this season I’ve struggled to enjoy because it just felt very full on. I’m hoping when I next visit I enjoy it more as it normally takes me a while every season to warm up to the rides again

Given how attracted I once was to this thread, I surprisingly haven’t updated my Alton Towers coaster ranking in a good while; my last post in here was in June 2022!

Today, I decided to sit down and rejig my coaster rankings a tad following my most recent visit to Alton Towers last weekend. Do bear in mind that I only rode 6 of the 10 coasters on my most recent visit; I have not ridden Thirteen and The Smiler since March 2023, I have not ridden Spinball Whizzer since August 2022, and for obvious reasons, I have not ridden Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure since June 2019.

I should preface this ranking by saying that I like my coasters to be fun, thrilling and rerideable. Intensity is not necessarily everything for me; don't get me wrong, there are many intense rides that I absolutely love, but I sometimes find that too much intensity can be counterintuitive and make me enjoy the ride less. I definitely have things I enjoy that enhance these, but my general criteria for a good coaster are simply that it's fun, thrilling and rerideable.

My current ranking of Alton Towers’ coasters, as of 28th March 2024, is as follows:
  1. Wicker Man - I know it's not a typical choice, but this one just had to sit on top for me, particularly after having what were possibly two of my best ever rides on it last weekend! There are so many things I love about it; the first drop is brilliant, there's tons of excellent airtime, it's fast, it's got some really fun twists and turns, it's smooth, and overall, I just find it a phenomenal amount of fun and always hit the brake run with a huge grin on my face! Yes, it's not the most intense coaster on the planet, but it's just so incredibly fun and has so much brilliant airtime and speed that it has to be top for me! And after my recent brilliant rides leaving me in absolute hysterics and making me realise just how much I love it, I have to say that I'd controversially declare Wicker Man not only my favourite coaster at Alton Towers, but my favourite coaster in the entire UK! 10/10, #8/111 overall
  2. Oblivion - Oblivion may be a one-trick pony, but I think it does that one trick phenomenally well, personally! In my early years of riding, I wasn't initially that huge on it, but it's grown on me massively over the years and I now absolutely love it! The sustained airtime on the first drop is absolutely sublime, and I love how you just seem to float out of your seat for seconds and seconds! I also love the absolutely awesome sense of speed you get through the tunnel; I know that Oblivion isn't the fastest coaster I've ridden, but based on the raw sensation of speed in that tunnel, I could firmly believe that it was if I didn't know any better! On the whole, I absolutely love Oblivion; it may be a one-trick pony, but it delivers that one trick impeccably! 9/10, #11/111 overall
  3. Nemesis Reborn - Nemesis is the typical enthusiast favourite, and while it's not quite my favourite, I have to say that it is still an absolutely cracking coaster, and it is great to have it back in the lineup! The same great ride has returned with a vengeance, with the ride riding smoother, faster and quite possibly better than ever for me! The retrack has not drastically changed my opinion of Nemesis, but it has definitely given me a newfound appreciation for it in numerous ways, most notably for some of the more unique aspects of its layout design. For instance, that opening sequence where the speed suddenly just builds and builds out of seemingly nowhere is just awesome, and I generally love the way that the ride keeps up the excitement right to the end, with that whippy final corkscrew ensuring that the ride ends on a high! While I may not rate Nemesis quite as highly as most do, I have to say that I still find it to be an absolutely fantastic coaster! 9/10, #14/111 overall
  4. Rita - Rita is often maligned by enthusiasts, but I have to say that I don't quite agree with the hate. I always love the punchy launches on these hydraulic launch coasters, and while it's no Stealth, Rita's still doesn't disappoint in this regard! The ride also has some surprisingly excellent ejector airtime, and it maintains a fast pace throughout its layout! However, I do have to concede that the layout is a little bit more on the basic side by modern standards, and that the rattle and restraints do very minorly take away from it. I don't find it hideously rough and uncomfortable like some seem to (and indeed, like I used to), but those OTSRs and cars definitely aren't the most comfortable on Rita's twisted layout. Nonetheless, I don't find it overly rough or uncomfortable by any stretch of the imagination (the rattle and restraints are definitely a minor niggle rather than a deal breaker), and the launch and airtime moments are always good fun! 8/10, #25/111 overall
  5. Thirteen - Again, Thirteen is often maligned by enthusiasts, but I don't think I dislike it quite as much as most. The drop track and backwards section are always a good laugh, and on the back, the first drop is surprisingly excellent, with a really good bit of airtime to be had! However, that initial outdoor section definitely lacks... something. It's very good fun, and has some fun twists and turns, but feels like it could do a little bit more. Aside from the first drop (and that only really does anything on the back), there's very little airtime, and there's not a huge amount of force or much of a sensation of speed either. Like I say, it's perfectly good fun, but feels like it could do more; I've often heard people say that the outdoor section mostly feels like filler to get you to the drop track, and I do understand that criticism. Nonetheless, it's still a good, fun family thrill coaster; the outdoor section is good fun, and that drop track and backwards section are definitely big highlights! 7/10, #31/111 overall
  6. Runaway Mine Train - Runaway Mine Train is a definite guilty pleasure of mine! Yes, it may "only" be a powered coaster, but I think it definitely punches above its weight in terms of fun factor! The ride has a nice speed to it for a powered coaster, and that helix in particular is surprisingly intense for a coaster that only goes 22mph! And in general, I just think it's a very feel-good ride that has an overall fun and cheery feel. Choo Choo! 6/10, #40/111 overall
  7. The Smiler - The Smiler is a tough one for me. I really want to rate it highly, and it does have numerous good attributes, but it never quite gels with me. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad ride by any means; the layout is very creative, it's fast, and I do love the two airtime moments, with the second in particular providing an awesome bit of ejector airtime! However... it's not quite consistently good enough for me to rate it especially highly on this list. It's very, very inconsistent, and from my experience, even two rides in the same trip can provide quite different experiences. It can provide a decent ride; my best ride ever on Smiler, in March 2023, was a very good front row ride, that was fast, floaty, not too nauseating and reasonably smooth. If based on that ride alone, the ride would probably sit somewhere in the 20s overall and possibly as high as 4th in this list. However, it doesn't show its best side nearly often enough. It can sometimes be pretty rough and rather on the nauseating side; sometimes, the ride's inversion-heavy layout provides a spinning flat ride-style sensation that I'm not the most keen on. At its worst, I'd possibly say it would rank as low as the 60s or 70s overall. To be fair, my last experience on it wasn't too bad at all, so it is currently ranking a little bit higher, but it was still a little bit rough and a little bit nauseating, and less roughness and nausea would definitely have improved it. So overall then, I find The Smiler a tough one to place, as it can vary a lot between visits. It can provide a really decent ride, but I just don't think it shows its best side nearly often enough for me to rank it any higher. 6/10, #44/111 overall
  8. Galactica - While Galactica is smooth, has reasonable speed and has some interesting elements, I'm sorry to say that I'm not massively keen on it. And that entirely comes down to that flying position and the fact that I simply find it, by its inherent nature, pretty uncomfortable. Simply put, I'm just not a massive fan of being led on my front and having all my weight rested on a restraint while I ride a roller coaster. I felt very similarly about Manta at SeaWorld Orlando on my return to that park last June. I'm also not huge on the fly-to-lie element on Galactica; while I find it less unbearable than the horribly intense pretzel loop on Manta, I still don't find the flow of g-forces to my head massively pleasant. Overall, then, I appreciate the novelty of Galactica, but it's just not really my thing. 4/10, #78/111 overall
  9. Spinball Whizzer - I can see why people like Spinball, but it's not really my thing. Really spinny rides aren't my favourite, and Spinball can spin a lot. I also found it horribly jolty and jerky last time I rode it. It really banged and bashed you around, to the point where I'd consider nominating it as Alton's roughest coaster... overall, I'm sorry to say that I'm not a huge fan of Spinball at all. 3/10, #90/111 overall
  10. Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure - It is what it is, really. It's not a bad first coaster for the kids by any means, but that's all it will ever be, and I think its appeal is pretty limited outside of the young children's demographic. 3/10, #95/111 overall

Last edited:
1/2: nemesis & wickerman, they are both really good an just constant thrill, with great theming, and I find it hard to choose my favourate
3: smiler, I like the intensity and I really enjoy riding the lay out, and the length is really nice,
4: galactical, really enjoyable and I love the turnarround after the portal
5: oblivion, Really good drop,
6: spinball, partial nolstaga of my first rollercoaster but I also find i enjoy going on it every time I wait with some good forces and sections.
7: 13, I like the drop track, the rollercoaster secion is good,
8: runaway minetrain, I find I don't really go on this too often, just not my cup of tea

You'll notice I have left out octonaughts and rita, octonaughts because I haven't done that and rita because in my books it can be hit and miss, some days I ride, it is amazing, the launch is great, the turns are forcefull with really good airtime over the hills and I would probably rate it arround 4th behind the smiler, but other rides it feels much less forcefull with a great launch but much less airtime and less force round the turns I would probably rate it 8th behind 13.

In my view when I visited last, I'd say this is how I'd rank it.

1. Nemesis - Nemesis is fantastic and I've found the environment really enhances the coaster with this one. It is slightly better than Inferno however both are excellent rides. I can't wait to ride Nemesis Reborn.
2. Wickerman - I have found this rollercoaster a surprise hit. It really packs a punch despite it's size.
3. Smiler - The Smiler is a decent ride and it really disorientating. It is particularly intense and I did enjoy that. Only qualm is that it was a bit rough but it didn't ruin the experience at the time.
4. Galactica - Galactica is a really graceful attraction and it really feels like you are flying. When you go through the inversions, it feels fairly smooth and not notice going upside down.
5. Spinball Whizzer - I enjoyed Spinball Whizzer more than Dragons Fury. This one packs quite a punch.
6. Runaway Mine Train - It is a decent basic family coaster. It is more substantial than the other Mack Powered Coasters I've ridden (Flying Fish and Scorpion Express) and I've enjoyed it.
7. Thirteen - I did find Thirteen to be not particularly intense until you get to that drop.
8. Oblivion - With Oblivion, other than the drop. It is done very quickly. Stealth has a bit more.
9. Rita - I have found Rita incredibly rough when I rode it previously.
N/A. Octonauts - I haven't ridden Octonauts yet.

New updated list from last week for me. Smiler back towards the top I’ve gotten over the “It’s start of the season rides feel really intense” stage.
1. Nemesis Reborn
2. Smiler
3. Wicker Man
4. Rita
5. Oblivion
6. Galactica
7. Th13teen