• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Rank Alton's coasters in terms of ride experience

It's all down to personal tastes and what you want out of a coaster. Nemesis, Oblivion and (bizarrely) the Smiler seem to be great Intimidators from talking to others or hearing what they say about them.

I don't think Oblivion needs any explanation as to why it's seen this way. Nemesis looks as intense off ride as it actually is on ride, if you step back and watch it, it does appear to traverse some very tight elements very quickly and very close to pathways (excellent design), even by invert standards. The Smiler, well I don't understand it as much, it seems to be the vertical lift hill for some bizarre reason. Other than that, I can only put it down to fear of inversions because I've never personally seen the Smiler as an intimidating coaster both on or off ride. But there are alot of people who are scared of it? Seems strange to me.
Smiler used to scare me the most when I was younger. Standing under the ride in the queue is intimidating imo. I think it's the pure size and scale if the ride

Smiler used to scare me the most when I was younger. Standing under the ride in the queue is intimidating imo. I think it's the pure size and scale if the ride
Interesting. Would you say it's the sheer amount of twisted steel in such a small space that does this? How about the theme?

I was 31 when I first saw it and rode it and had already done 2 runs in the Sanctuary the Scarefest before. It never struck me as intimidating, my main worry was that the constant inversions would be boring and there "for the hell of it" more than anything like the Heartlines on Colossus. Thankfully, it ended up being rather enjoyable.

Interesting. Would you say it's the sheer amount of twisted steel in such a small space that does this? How about the theme?

I was 31 when I first saw it and rode it and had already done 2 runs in the Sanctuary the Scarefest before. It never struck me as intimidating, my main worry was that the constant inversions would be boring and there "for the hell of it" more than anything like the Heartlines on Colossus. Thankfully, it ended up being rather enjoyable.
The amount of track yes but also the amount of inversions. The most I'd done on a ride before the smiler was 5 so 14 sounded like a hell of a lot

Ok here's my top seven.

1. Nemesis - Still not only my number 1 Towers coaster but Uk also.
2. Wicker Man - On a really good day it actually gives Nemesis a run for its money but it's not consistent enough.
3. Smiler - It does what it says, puts a smile on my face
4. Oblivion - Still the best drop on a Uk coaster.
5. Th13teen - One of the most underrated coasters at Towers
6. Rita - After the brilliant launch I only wish it was longer
7. Galactica - It's ok but I despise the part led on your back facing the sky

1. The Smiler
2. Oblivion
3. Wicker Man
4. Nemesis
5. TH13TEEN (the force of the drop track is just about keeping it in 5th - I find it more forceful now than I've ever done before!)
6. Rita
7. Galactica - it's a shame I've got to put this last as it used to be my favourite coaster (2009-2012) - but it doesn't massively do a lot for me anymore.
Nemesis has significantly moved up this year from being bottom of the pile but that's because of how enjoyable the rides have been. I could easily see Rita moving higher if it continues riding well next year, but I could also see Nemesis dropping if it rides how it did when I ranked it last). Wicker Man needs to stay on the form it's on now to move back up to 2nd but I won't be riding any of them again until at least June next year, so we'll see!

Ok so thought I’d have a stab at this. In terms of ride experience only and not thrill factor on the major coasters:

1. Wickerman
2. The Smiler (these top 2 are very interchangeable)
3. Galactica
4. Nemesis
5. Oblivion
6. Thirteen
7. Rita

In terms of pure thrill factor:

1. Oblivion (The fear is still real as you arc around to the drop. I love everything about Oblivion.)
2. Rita (just for the launch, nothing else)
3. The Smiler
4. Wickerman
5. Nemesis (I feel I should rank this higher but nowadays it’s only the vertical loop that does it for me)
6. Thirteen
7. Galactica

In terms of pure thrill factor:

1. Oblivion (The fear is still real as you arc around to the drop. I love everything about Oblivion.)
2. Rita (just for the launch, nothing else)
3. The Smiler
4. Wickerman
5. Nemesis (I feel I should rank this higher but nowadays it’s only the vertical loop that does it for me)
6. Thirteen
7. Galactica
You think nemesis is less thrilling than Wicker man? Please explain this logic

Wicker Man is more thrilling when you get a back row on it - it's probably one of the most thrilling on park when you get a back row actually. Because of RAP with the wheelchair, I've ridden back row on Wicker Man more than any other row and that's when it really steals the show from every other ride on park, in my opinion.

Wicker Man is more thrilling when you get a back row on it - it's probably one of the most thrilling on park when you get a back row actually. Because of RAP with the wheelchair, I've ridden back row on Wicker Man more than any other row and that's when it really steals the show from every other ride on park, in my opinion.
Have you ever had back row on Nemesis or Rita, both far more thrilling and intense

Thrill levels on a ride aren't an opinion they're a fact. Everyone experiences the same ride the same way
But everyone isn't the same, smart guy.

If you have a five year old riding Octonauts with their parent, is the thrill level the same for both? Same ride, same way, but a completely different experience.

Last edited:
Thrill levels on a ride aren't an opinion they're a fact. Everyone experiences the same ride the same way

Again and again, you can't comprehend the opinions of others. It's tedious and you are obnoxious.

If someone finds drops more thrilling than speed, g force more thrilling than inversions, lap bars more thrilling than ostrs, laying flat more thrilling than sitting down, going backwards more thrilling than going forwards etc etc, they are not wrong. You are wrong for thinking they are wrong and that your opinion has more validity than theirs.

I'm not arguing with anyone who wants to tell me it's just an opinion to think wicker man is more thrilling than nemesis. That's like saying Runaway mine train is more thrilling than stealth

[QUOTE

Whilst that’s a great line to use to try and get my Mrs on Oblivion, it’s simply not true. Thrill factor is totally subjective.