• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass and Disabled Access - 2024 Discussion

It’s a complicated thing to implement from a UX perspective as you don’t want to be saying “you cannot come because RAP is full!”

Probably will need a fairly substantial re-writing of the booking system. Which they won’t wanna do until they can see if the effect they seek is achieved

In reality. It needs a digital system where they can close the RAP queue on a per attraction basis to encourage people to spread around. Similar to the normal queues the RAP queue naturally swells and shrinks , but currently we’re blind to the numbers so just end up stuck in Wickerman hell.

Last edited:
In reality. It needs a digital system where they can close the RAP queue on a per attraction basis to encourage people to spread around. Similar to the normal queues the RAP queue naturally swells and shrinks , but currently we’re blind to the numbers so just end up stuck in Wickerman hell

I feel like a broken record but again this is the system in place at CWOA and LEGOLAND.

The Vampire queue for example is frequently closed on the app due to exceeding capacity.

The reason this happens tends to be due to other attractions going down. This isn’t a solution.

Can confirm some of the above. There was a woman in front of me at the FV guest services hub which only has 1 member of staff. She turned up with only her phone and an Access Card. Ended up waiting behind her for about 10-15 minutes whilst she tried to search for stuff through her various email accounts, with the staff member then having to search online for stuff. Eventually he printed her a RAP card and issued her with a time-out card, by which time the staff member had managed to build himself up a lengthy queue to deal with afterwards.

From now on, after this grace period has ended, they need to give such people short thrift. If they don't like being told NO (as the staff member should be telling them), they can be invited to wait aside whilst a manager is called to come and tell them NO. Alton Towers need to start saying NO or they'll never get close to getting on top of this problem.

She turned up with only her phone and an Access Card. Ended up waiting behind her for about 10-15 minutes whilst she tried to search for stuff through her various email accounts, with the staff member then having to search online for stuff. Eventually he printed her a RAP card

What’s the issue with this? The only way to obtain your RAP card is in person by showing your Access card and booking no?

What’s the issue with this? The only way to obtain your RAP card is in person by showing your Access card and booking no?
No, you can order your RAP card by post. I suppose my main point was that after this initial grace period, the staff should definitely not be entertaining the idea of people turning up without having pre-booked everything like everyone else and then wasting the time of staff asking for a RAP time-out card that they didn't pre-book (when the day's allocation has been reached).

I feel like a broken record but again this is the system in place at CWOA and LEGOLAND.

The Vampire queue for example is frequently closed on the app due to exceeding capacity.

The reason this happens tends to be due to other attractions going down. This isn’t a solution.
I’m saying there should be an app - like Lego/chessington - but also state the estimated wait for the RAP queue specifically.

If you’re able to see Thirteen at 45 mins, but something else is at 20 - more people will head to the 20 mins attraction.
Currently since it’s blind you travel to dark forest- assume it’s as bad everywhere - and join the madness

Even if you have a Access card you still have to register online to link it to the RAP system. Then you collect the RAP photocard on park as you would if you didn't have an Access card. The AC just makes the process quicker and easier.

Last edited:
Even if you have a Access card you still have to register online to link it to the RAP system. Then you collect the RAP photocard on park as you would have if you didn't have an Access card. The AC just makes the process quicker and easier.

I know, that’s what it sounded like this person was doing (albeit perhaps an issue with the linking).

No, you can order your RAP card by post. I suppose my main point was that after this initial grace period, the staff should definitely not be entertaining the idea of people turning up without having pre-booked everything like everyone else and then wasting the time of staff asking for a RAP time-out card that they didn't pre-book (when the day's allocation has been reached).

Good to know, I wasn’t aware you could order it by post.

I’m saying there should be an app - like Lego/chessington - but also state the estimated wait for the RAP queue specifically.

If you’re able to see Thirteen at 45 mins, but something else is at 20 - more people will head to the 20 mins attraction.
Currently since it’s blind you travel to dark forest- assume it’s as bad everywhere - and join the madness

Ah ok I understand. I suppose the issue with that is you’re admitting the system isn’t fit for purpose if you’re telling people they have to still queue for 45 minutes.

Also many RAP users already struggle in a park the size of AT (especially without Skyride) so seeing Nemesis is at 20 minutes when you’re at Spinball isn’t much use.

I know, that’s what it sounded like this person was doing (albeit perhaps an issue with the linking).

Ah ok I understand. I suppose the issue with that is you’re admitting the system isn’t fit for purpose if you’re telling people they have to still queue for 45 minutes.

Also many RAP users already struggle in a park the size of AT (especially without Skyride) so seeing Nemesis is at 20 minutes when you’re at Spinball isn’t much use.
I didn't know you could order RAP by post either. Unless @BarryZola was talking about the Access Card?

I believe Thorpe have been telling people who haven't pre-booked no.

I think the RAP cards themselves are printed on park. But if they can have them by post then they need to big that up.

Grace period all well and good because of their disastrous initial implementation but if you allow people to just tag onto it things become unmanageable. Something else we saw at Download Festival last year. The seated areas were packed out far beyond safety in some cases.

I believe Thorpe have been telling people who haven't pre-booked no.

Thorpe even clarify on their accessibility page that RAP applications cannot be processed on park, Towers' page however does not.

I think the RAP cards themselves are printed on park. But if they can have them by post then they need to big that up
That is correct, you just give any guest services kiosk (or admissions kiosk I think) the order number and they print it for you.

From now on, after this grace period has ended, they need to give such people short thrift. If they don't like being told NO (as the staff member should be telling them), they can be invited to wait aside whilst a manager is called to come and tell them NO. Alton Towers need to start saying NO or they'll never get close to getting on top of this problem.
I think staff are apprehensive to say no in the fear of getting accused of something. The general public can turn nasty in customer service settings

I guess. But if the numbers are limited (~800) chances are if it says 15-20 it should stay for a while before spiking.
I hear your comment about fit for purpose though.. I mean. It’s not fit for purpose though 😂 as my boy is a RAP user, I would just appreciate some better info to make informed decisions

I guess. But if the numbers are limited (~800) chances are if it says 15-20 it should stay for a while before spiking.
I hear your comment about fit for purpose though.. I mean. It’s not fit for purpose though 😂 as my boy is a RAP user, I would just appreciate some better info to make informed decisions

Yeah that’s fair enough. Vampire does have a “thirty minutes from this point” at RAP though it’s not particularly visible when the queue exceeds that.

RAP at Chessington and Legoland does have it's quirks. Today Vampire was flagged as 60 minutes when we used RAP and rode it, but you could see when on the ride that there was actually hardly anyone in the queue, and it was probably 5-10 minutes max. As RAP timeouts are tied to the normal queue times (or I assume that is how it works) and Chessington in particular are infamous for inflating the queue times, then in those cases it doesn't work well.

There has been reports on Twitter that RAP queue times reaching 40 minutes plus recently at Towers.

From: https://twitter.com/Sophie_Bone_/status/1774069362250358996

If a person can queue for 40 minutes in a RAP queue they should not have access to a RAP. This is very clear from the Alton Towers website:
We offer a Ride Access Pass to guests who may find it difficult or cannot stand for long periods of time either due to a physical disability or a learning/emotional impairment.

The Nimbus application is also clear with the restrictions people should have in terms of queueing:
1711953649458.png
So, to be blunt & no doubt unpopular. Those people standing in a queue for 40 minutes to access attractions should not have access to a RAP. I am not going to say that these people are "abusing the system" or doing anything untoward... but this really needs to be dealt with. Someone [again, on Twitter] is seriously suggesting every other train should be for the RAP queue!