• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass and Disabled Access - 2024 Discussion

The problem there, though, is that if the system is working as intended, there shouldn’t really be an RAP queue time.

In theory, the return times given mean that RAP users shouldn’t have a wait that’s any different from that of the main queue, and they shouldn’t have to wait in a physical queue at all. The principle of the system means that people should theoretically be allowed to wait virtually for their slot to arrive and then have a nominal (i.e. 5-10 minute or less) wait to get on once that “queueing” time has elapsed.

Of course, it doesn’t seem to work that way in reality, but I think that the park displaying RAP queue times would almost be a tacit admission that the system does not work as intended.

It doesn’t work because there’s no actual virtual queue.
Rather a lock out and a (in theory ) smaller physical queue.
Running RAP like the old Mandrill system would be better

It doesn’t work because there’s no actual virtual queue.
Rather a lock out and a (in theory ) smaller physical queue.
Running RAP like the old Mandrill system would be better
Sounds like a good idea but it would need some work as it was a nightmare trying to get a slot on Mandrill. Imagine that across all the rides! Everyone would be constantly trying to book slots on their phone at each release time and within seconds all slots are gone.

Sounds like a good idea but it would need some work as it was a nightmare trying to get a slot on Mandrill. Imagine that across all the rides! Everyone would be constantly trying to book slots on their phone at each release time and within seconds all slots are gone.
Maybe something like - the app indicates the next available ride time for each attraction - you book the one you want and can’t book a different one until you’ve scanned in or cancelled the booking.
So.. it’s locking out then ride. Rather then ride and then locking out

At Chessington and Legoland you have the pass scanned at a ride and then however long the main queue is for that ride you are locked out of booking another ride for that length of time. Generally works OK, though if a RAP queue is long then you will have to wait that time and then the lockout time on top. Do not really get massive RAP queues at these parks and I assume it is down to this system being in use.

Sorry, just to confirm, are you saying anyone with RAP in that queue shouldn't have RAP, or anyone with RAP that can stand in that queue shouldn't have RAP?
I'm not saying that. Alton Towers and Nimbus are effectively saying that.

There should be no RAP queue at the rides. RAP is meant to be a case of returning to the ride after a specific time and getting straight on. The problem is that Towers are currently over-subscribed with RAP users who are willing to queue at the RAP entrance. I would suggest that it may be the case that many of the RAP users who are willing to queue in a 40min queue should have their eligibility reassessed.

Willing or have no choice but to wait?

RAP does state there may be a short wait at each ride. However a mixture of the booking mess up and the poor availability so far this season is exacerbating the situation. No surprise if say Wickerman doesn't open until 2pm that everyone descends upon it at the same time.

Need to split up the ambulant and non-ambulant on every coaster as a starting point. Though really the only coaster that isn't currently is 13, which is probably why that always gets bad RAP queues.

Willing or have no choice but to wait?

RAP does state there may be a short wait at each ride. However a mixture of the booking mess up and the poor availability so far this season is exacerbating the situation. No surprise if say Wickerman doesn't open until 2pm that everyone descends upon it at the same time.

Need to split up the ambulant and non-ambulant on every coaster as a starting point. Though really the only coaster that isn't currently is 13, which is probably why that always gets bad RAP queues.
RMT doesn't split either. They tried it a few years back but it didn't really work.

I do wish they'd split RAP on Thirteen though, would be much better. They did it during Covid so I don't se why they can't do I permanently. Glad they've kept the split on Blivvy (was introduced last season), that worked really well when I used it.

I'm not saying that. Alton Towers and Nimbus are effectively saying that.

There should be no RAP queue at the rides. RAP is meant to be a case of returning to the ride after a specific time and getting straight on. The problem is that Towers are currently over-subscribed with RAP users who are willing to queue at the RAP entrance. I would suggest that it may be the case that many of the RAP users who are willing to queue in a 40min queue should have their eligibility reassessed.
Understood, and generally agree.

Although I think the point about not having the knowledge of how long a queue is just by it's length is valid.

I wonder how long was being added on to the time cards by the staff member?

The rides have a finite throughout. On a ride like Nemesis with a dispatch approximately every 90 seconds, assuming you want to allocate up to 25% of the train to RAP and you don't want a physical RAP queue (no wait on return) then you can admit a maximum of 5 people per minute, 300 per hour. Any more than that and the RAP queue will grow.

Last edited:
From what I understand it’s an issue at Chessington to some extent also. Probably for the same reasons - those 1.2m rides

It's definitely a lot less at Chessington though, for whatever reason. Really only Vampire is where you are facing extended RAP wait times. Maybe Mandrill will get worse now they've dropped the VQ, though from looking at the general queue times this week they've been much shorter that i would have expected.

I do suspect because of the retention of the non digital system that AT have a reputation for being slack with it and more people have taken advantage.

Hello Everyone.

I am planning on doing a trip to AT sometime next week however I haven't been to AT since march 2022 therefore I have no idea on how to work this new system. Could anyone be kind enough to explain it to me? Thanks in advance!

Hello Everyone.

I am planning on doing a trip to AT sometime next week however I haven't been to AT since march 2022 therefore I have no idea on how to work this new system. Could anyone be kind enough to explain it to me? Thanks in advance!

First the bad news. RAP is completely sold out for the next 2 weeks so you will not be able to use the new system.

(As an aside i get the feeling people are cottoning on to the new system and block booking now but just an instinct).

Anyway, first you'll need to apply for a Nimbus Access card if you don't already have one.

Then you'll need to link it to your Merlin RAP account.

And then as i mentioned at the start, you'll need to book slots for the day you are planning on visiting.

Beyond that once at the park it's the same system as 2022.

All the relevant information and links to what you need to do are here:

A Nimbus Access card is not required. You have the option of just registering for Towers RAP if you wish, or you can upgrade to a full Access Card.
(Altrough behind the scenes it's identical between the two, the only difference is if you don't pay the £15 the access cards number you are given is restricted to merlin only)

Does anyone know if (and how) you can cancel a RAP booking under the new system? Planning on visiting a park next week but not sure which date we can visit and seems we'll have to pick a couple to guarantee a spot. Obviously want to make it available for others once we do know...

Does anyone know if (and how) you can cancel a RAP booking under the new system? Planning on visiting a park next week but not sure which date we can visit and seems we'll have to pick a couple to guarantee a spot. Obviously want to make it available for others once we do know...
Towers RAP is sold out for the next two weeks (both red and yellow), not sure about the others.