• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Shared with permission from a friend who's at Chessy today, this was the Dragon's Fury RAP queue earlier;

dragon.jpg

It got even longer after that pic was taken too.

Shared with permission from a friend who's at Chessy today, this was the Dragon's Fury RAP queue earlier;

dragon.jpg

It got even longer after that pic was taken too.
I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but isn't that showing a queue well within the confines of the designated queue line and therefore an expected length?

Unless I'm mistaken, the end of the RAP queue is the lady you can see in the distance over the shoulder of the Ride Host standing at the ride entrance. None of the people in the foreground are in a queue.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but isn't that showing a queue well within the confines of the designated queue line and therefore an expected length?

Unless I'm mistaken, the end of the RAP queue is the lady you can see in the distance over the shoulder of the Ride Host standing at the ride entrance. None of the people in the foreground are in a queue.
Lady in pink was the end of the line apparently. You can see it going at the side of the arch.

Just received this email about a RAP survey.

Screenshot_20230810-163943.png

Just completed it and it asks questions about what you think about the service and how it could be improved.

Maybe they're actually starting to look at updating it now?

Fingers crossed!!

My concern with this is the voices of those in genuine need who are unable to have access facilitated under the current mess will be drowned out by those abusing it and happy to tell Merlin to keep the current system that allows them to keep abusing it.

Last edited:
I don’t get how it’s a massive issue in the UK but you just don’t see it abroad?

It is that parks abroad simply don’t have RAP? The British just depend that they are entitled to everything? I’ve done a variety of parks this summer and other than the odd person coming in the exit, you just don’t see it. Then you come to towers and the RAP queue is longer than the main queue at times.

It's a relatively new thing. A decade ago it wasn't like this (as I'm sure you know). It must be a combination of more awareness of mental health issues, Merlin parks being too lenient and the British public being willing to take advantage of the lenient nature of the rules. Then you add the fact that 4-5 people can be party with the differently abled person and we end up with big RAP queues.

Reactions: Ash
It's a relatively new thing. A decade ago it wasn't like this (as I'm sure you know). It must be a combination of more awareness of mental health issues, Merlin parks being too lenient and the British public being willing to take advantage of the lenient nature of the rules. Then you add the fact that 4-5 people can be party with the differently abled person and we end up with big RAP queues.

It’s farcical, embarrassing and a circus. Makes a mockery of common sense, good will and fairness.

Comparative to the handful of people an hour I saw working on rides at the park nearly 2 decades ago, the difference is stark. The idea there are now 50 to a hundred times more needy people is nonsensical.

There are people who have only asked whether they could, and never if they should.

As can be seen when visiting other European parks. This isn’t a Alton issue, it’s a UK issue.

I don’t get how it’s a massive issue in the UK but you just don’t see it abroad?

It is that parks abroad simply don’t have RAP? The British just depend that they are entitled to everything? I’ve done a variety of parks this summer and other than the odd person coming in the exit, you just don’t see it. Then you come to towers and the RAP queue is longer than the main queue at times.
I don't think lot of European countries recognise cognitive disabilities as much as the UK does, so their access systems are more aimed at those who have mobility difficulties/in wheelchairs.

I think without knowing a person’s own circumstances, it’s truly impossible to say whether a person needs RAP. Not all disabilities are visible; all of the people in that queue could (and indeed probably do) genuinely need RAP.

As for why more people are using it; it’s not simply a case of there being loads of people abusing the system. It’s a case of our country being vastly better at diagnosing people than it used to be and making sure that no one falls through the cracks. People are receiving diagnoses and help when they were previously unable to get anything, and I think that’s a very good thing, personally.

I am curious as to why it only seems to cause issues in the UK Merlin parks, though. No other UK parks have issues to the same degree, Europa Park didn’t have issues to the same degree, and even the Florida parks don’t have issues to the same degree.

Comparative to the handful of people an hour I saw working on rides at the park nearly 2 decades ago, the difference is stark. The idea there are now 50 to a hundred times more needy people is nonsensical.

I do wonder if it's worth considering that perhaps there are people who previously couldn't access the parks due to their needs who are now attending because the accessibility has improved? I also understand that some people do abuse the system.

I am curious as to why it only seems to cause issues in the UK Merlin parks, though. No other UK parks have issues to the same degree, Europa Park didn’t have issues to the same degree, and even the Florida parks don’t have issues to the same degree.

Merlin parks have higher RAP limits I believe. Somewhere like Paultons for example, has a much lower RAP capacity. It's always been my assumption that the stricter nature of assessments/less needs recognised in other countries, reduces the amount of people who could access the service or even the park. In some of the groups I'm part of, parents who would be able to do multiple rides in the UK with their children, have had reduced experiences overseas - sometimes only being able to go on one ride because their child cannot cope without RAP & they do not qualify abroad.

There is also the fact that Merlin park ops (UK) are not always the best...

Just my take on it! It's definitely multi-faceted.

I would support a hard limit for number of RAP holders allowed on park in any one day. Seems like it'd make it a fair experience
That rounds like a "Reasonable Adjustment " to me. I don't consider the status que to be a "Reasonable Adjustment " for anyone.

There's 2 obvious reasonable adjustments: 1 ride per ride per day and/or a limit to RAP guests. The guest limit allows RAP users to ride what they want but also acts as a deterrent to falsely claiming RAP as there's a limit per day but doesn't restrict choice.

There's 2 obvious reasonable adjustments: 1 ride per ride per day and/or a limit to RAP guests. The guest limit allows RAP users to ride what they want but also acts as a deterrent to falsely claiming RAP as there's a limit per day but doesn't restrict choice.

Unfortunately that doesn't work against those abusing it, only those needing it. For those abusing they end up with effectively a one shot fastrack for every ride and then can queue up to ride again. Those actually unable to queue just get their single ride.

Unfortunately that doesn't work against those abusing it, only those needing it. For those abusing they end up with effectively a one shot fastrack for every ride and then can queue up to ride again. Those actually unable to queue just get their single ride.

That'd be up to the park to time people out properly

I do wonder if it's worth considering that perhaps there are people who previously couldn't access the parks due to their needs who are now attending because the accessibility has improved? I also understand that some people do abuse the system.

Merlin parks have higher RAP limits I believe. Somewhere like Paultons for example, has a much lower RAP capacity. It's always been my assumption that the stricter nature of assessments/less needs recognised in other countries, reduces the amount of people who could access the service or even the park. In some of the groups I'm part of, parents who would be able to do multiple rides in the UK with their children, have had reduced experiences overseas - sometimes only being able to go on one ride because their child cannot cope without RAP & they do not qualify abroad.

There is also the fact that Merlin park ops (UK) are not always the best...

Just my take on it! It's definitely multi-faceted.

I have considered it, and the idea that within the last 10 years now 40/50% of the UK population, are incapable of waiting in a queue, is just jibberish. (Based on what I’ve seen)

That'd be up to the park to time people out properly

Still doesn't work though. Give someone a 60 min wait for their next RAP ride, if they can wait in lines they will spend that time in another queue. They are in 2 places at once and will ride around twice as much in a day as someone genuinely unable to queue or not using the system.

Until they remove that advantage there will always be demand, as I've said for years they absolutely need to remove that demand and the only way is to remove the advantage. A different ticket to access the respective queieline is the obvious choice. Not free to implement t but absolute worth it.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.