• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It isn't just the rap faff, it is the lack of access for many thousands of punters due to the skyride.
Had local support group advice...
Disability Discrimination Act '95 (Sect 3, 19) is very rocky ground.
Previous support for access removed with no warning or reasonable notice, with no suitable alternatives provided.
Not just poor customer service by all accounts.
Blatant discriminatory practice.

It isn't just the rap faff, it is the lack of access for many thousands of punters due to the skyride.
Had local support group advice...
Disability Discrimination Act '95 (Sect 3, 19) is very rocky ground.
Previous support for access removed with no warning or reasonable notice, with no suitable alternatives provided.
Not just poor customer service by all accounts.
Blatant discriminatory practice.
By law do they have to supply the Skyride? Or Monorail?

Can we draw a line under the Skyride discussion please, it's becoming quite tiresome now and get back to the more general discussion about ride access pass and disabled access. As has been pointed out multiple times, the park have communicated the closure, set an expectation as to when it's going to reopen and that's the end of it from a disabled access point of view. There's very little to be gained from discussing it any further. Thanks.

Don't think so. All rides are accessible including to people with disabilities so it's a bit of a nonsense to suggest it's breaking the law.
Not all rides are accessible to people with disabilities though, as we learnt with the “she can’t walk” debacle at Smiler. From my knowledge of Merlin there are quite a few attractions which non-ambulant guests aren’t allowed. I believe that they’ve made efforts to be more accommodating since that incident, but it’s too little too late.

Merlin have always, in my opinion, hidden behind the part of the Disability Act which states that H&S takes priority to accommodating people with disabilities. Whilst this is true, and obviously H&S should always come first, that doesn’t mean they should make no effort to accommodate non-ambulant people. Using the example of Thorpe park, the reason that non-ambulant people can’t (or couldn’t) access the coaster is because of evacuation. But Colossus has a seat that can be used for lift evacuations which they weren’t using. Why can’t all the coasters with non-vertical lifts have these? They should be going out of their way to make the rides as accessible as possible, but in the past it doesn’t seem like they have made that much effort, from what I’ve seen anyway. Please do correct me if I’m wrong though.

Not all rides are accessible to people with disabilities though, as we learnt with the “she can’t walk” debacle at Smiler. From my knowledge of Merlin there are quite a few attractions which non-ambulant guests aren’t allowed. I believe that they’ve made efforts to be more accommodating since that incident, but it’s too little too late.

Merlin have always, in my opinion, hidden behind the part of the Disability Act which states that H&S takes priority to accommodating people with disabilities. Whilst this is true, and obviously H&S should always come first, that doesn’t mean they should make no effort to accommodate non-ambulant people. Using the example of Thorpe park, the reason that non-ambulant people can’t (or couldn’t) access the coaster is because of evacuation. But Colossus has a seat that can be used for lift evacuations which they weren’t using. Why can’t all the coasters with non-vertical lifts have these? They should be going out of their way to make the rides as accessible as possible, but in the past it doesn’t seem like they have made that much effort, from what I’ve seen anyway. Please do correct me if I’m wrong though.
Ok what if the ride has it's power cut? How will you be using the lift? Same in a hotel or high rise flat, you can't expect to use a lift as means of evacuation in the case of an emergency. It's for the guests own safety, the staff and other riders. If the ride caught on fire can you reasonably expect two or three members of staff to climb the ride and help someone into a lift?

Being "accessible" by the letter of the law means making relevant accommodations to those who require it.

HSE might overrule this through risk assessments. Which means that in a number of circumstances if you cannot safely evacuate yourself (I.e. walk unaided a certain distance which most Towers attractions require) you are unable to ride.

This is not technically discrimination as H&S regulation tends to trump that. See the more stringent efforts made on Intamins with lapbars after the amputee was flung from the Superman attraction.

The parks are often stuck between a rock and a hard place. Imagine if the UK parks were under the TÜV regs instead? The rules at Europa and other German parks are far more strict and restrictive (to almost too far a level in some cases), but the culture is different to the UK.

Been a while since last saw the Vampire COSWP but there were certainly some restrictions with amputees. Also isn't discrimination if the restraints won't safely lock if you're too big (in shoulder or gut) on any ride though obviously not a protected characteristic.

Unfortunately some things just cannot fulfil the needs of those with disabilities. Which is an argument I have almost regularly with the Mrs.

does anyone know what "red ride access pass means?" I just ordered mine but I don't know what the colour means

that's strange tho since when it asked me if i needed assistance on getting on rides and such i said no

what do i do now?
Did you tick the cognitive box? It automatically assigns red if you do. When you collect it from your chosen park you can ask for it to be changed to yellow, and they'll do it if they can be sure you can evacuate unassisted.

Did you tick the cognitive box? It automatically assigns red if you do. When you collect it from your chosen park you can ask for it to be changed to yellow, and they'll do it if they can be sure you can evacuate unassisted.
i was told the "carer" just means anyone over 14 which is fine since my next trip i am with family and such but what if i go solo?

i was told the "carer" just means anyone over 14 which is fine since my next trip i am with family and such but what if i go solo?
You can't go solo with red RAP. You have to be accompanied by at least one responsible person over the age of 14.

I presume this is based on an outdated assumption that anyone with a cognitive disability cannot possibly be independent.

<Sigh>

Parks will always cover themselves to prevent stories of people being stuck on broken rides or trying to run down the stairs during an evac. They'd rather be extra cautious.

Parks will always cover themselves to prevent stories of people being stuck on broken rides or trying to run down the stairs during an evac. They'd rather be extra cautious.

This, especially given the cover all bases that RAP has. Towers have always been especially strict on their staff aiding those guests.

Outdated? Maybe, but in terms of the park's viewpoint if there's a major evacuation procedure required they cannot legislate for the potential aid required. A carer who knows the person can, and I wouldn't really feel comfortable with a 16-18 year old with zero training on disabilities to be responsible for my wife.

Back when I worked in rides I'd have had zero idea of how to deal with someone having an anxiety based meltdown.

This, especially given the cover all bases that RAP has. Towers have always been especially strict on their staff aiding those guests.

Outdated? Maybe, but in terms of the park's viewpoint if there's a major evacuation procedure required they cannot legislate for the potential aid required. A carer who knows the person can, and I wouldn't really feel comfortable with a 16-18 year old with zero training on disabilities to be responsible for my wife.

Back when I worked in rides I'd have had zero idea of how to deal with someone having an anxiety based meltdown.
Yes requires skills and training that people that age simply won't have. Likewise with someone who is not able to walk unaided, people don't realise how difficult it is to lift someone when they are a dead weight, even if they weigh 8 stone wet through it is extremely difficult to lift that person out of a seat.

Yes requires skills and training that people that age simply won't have. Likewise with someone who is not able to walk unaided, people don't realise how difficult it is to lift someone when they are a dead weight, even if they weigh 8 stone wet through it is extremely difficult to lift that person out of a seat.
Most theme parks won't allow their staff to manually handle disabled guests for insurance reasons. If something went wrong or a staff member injured themselves they'd be liable.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.