• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It also states that wheelchair access queues are not a priority and are likely to be as long as the regular queues, just like RAP.

Thank you so much for all this information, greatly appreciated.

The line i've quoted here is my concern, this is what i saw originally. This differs from RAP because the queues are designed to be much shorter than the regular queues, with the additional time accommodated by "virtual queuing" via either the app or time sheet. Efteling evidently don't use this method.

However i can't see any logical reason why the queue length would be the same time, unless either the operators were told to keep disabled customers waiting or large numbers of disabled customers were using the scheme.

Seems like finding those with real life experience will be the next step (or contacting the park as you say).

Thanks again!

Update:

So i did find a recent review which does seem to confirm my worst fears sadly:

Never had a problem with Efteling's system (as mentioned in the other topic). The "no priority access" usually means you might have to wait at the side for a few cycles but depends on how busy it is.

Been a while since visited so things might be different. Unlike most parks though some of their disabled areas actually have seating.

PM me if you want more specifics on it. Though can only speak of visible disabilities.

Does anyone know why Alton Towers are still using the booklets when other Merlin parks have moved to digital systems?

The mobile network can’t cope (and unless planning laws change it never will) and the WiFi network would probably struggle as well as the fibre supply to the resort is limited.

Towers is severely limited by its location on that front.

The mobile network can’t cope (and unless planning laws change it never will) and the WiFi network would probably struggle as well as the fibre supply to the resort is limited.

Towers is severely limited by its location on that front.

I've never had the WiFi work once at Legoland in a dozen visits the last 3 years and reception is patchy at best. Always see people struggle and staff seem understanding about it usually. One ride in particular is in a dead spot where the staff have no signal either and you can often re-ride without the QR code updating.

Did have an Alton Towers survey recently where they asked if people would prefer it become digital so does imply they're considering it.

What do they use at Thorpe Park?

The paper system is chaos and open to so much abuse. The fact that my friend openly speaks about going and getting more than one booklet on the same visit shows how easy it is to do. And then there’s the issue of the staff not writing the correct queue time in the booklet or not filling it out at all, both of which I’ve seen multiple times.

Taken from the MAP FB page, it seems as though further RAP adjustments are coming to the parks

I remember noticing a lot more wifi boxes around AT this year, and according to commenters on the FB thread there’s been some communication that the App system will be coming to all parks

In theory, that should essentially “fix” most of the issues discussed ad nauseam on this thread

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpeg
    IMG_0604.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 73
Taken from the MAP FB page, it seems as though further RAP adjustments are coming to the parks

I remember noticing a lot more wifi boxes around AT this year, and according to commenters on the FB thread there’s been some communication that the App system will be coming to all parks

In theory, that should essentially “fix” most of the issues discussed ad nauseam on this thread
Hoping it's not true but there's a rumour that one of the changes could be the max number of companions being reduced to just one. Would really screw me and others over if true! 😬

Last edited:
Hoping it's not true but there's a rumour that is one of the changes could be the max number of companions being reduced to just one. Would really screw me and others over if true! 😬

Would be very surprised if they implemented that across the board (for example what would be the point on the Gruffalo at Chessington as you'd still be in one boat regardless so it would have no impact). Could see it on some of the more popular rides. Fairly sure i've seen that in place at some of the European parks though can't remember which offhand.

Think it would add too many complications to the process though with inevitable hold-ups/arguments at every batching. And the fact they trialled and seemingly abandoned limiting ride numbers this year indicates they're taking into account fairness and customer opinion.

Thank you so much for all this information, greatly appreciated.

The line i've quoted here is my concern, this is what i saw originally. This differs from RAP because the queues are designed to be much shorter than the regular queues, with the additional time accommodated by "virtual queuing" via either the app or time sheet. Efteling evidently don't use this method.

However i can't see any logical reason why the queue length would be the same time, unless either the operators were told to keep disabled customers waiting or large numbers of disabled customers were using the scheme.

Seems like finding those with real life experience will be the next step (or contacting the park as you say).

Thanks again!

Update:

So i did find a recent review which does seem to confirm my worst fears sadly:

Worth mentioning that since Efteling do not offer any paid or free Fastpass and their RAP is "non-priority" all their queues move at a pretty reasonable speed. If you can go off peak you are unlikely to find a queue long enough to worry about and there is plenty to do around the park that doesn't require any queuing at all.

Hoping it's not true but there's a rumour that one of the changes could be the max number of companions being reduced to just one. Would really screw me and others over if true! 😬
That would be massively unpopular. A lot of 3/4 person groups are families with 1 child RAP user, such a rule would block those families from riding together. It would also make single-parent visits unworkable too as the second and third children cannot be left on their own.

Merlin - "We're working to reduce the over-population of RAP"

Visitors - "Good, how?"

Merlin - "Limiting the number of guests that can be bought on in the group"

Visitors - "No not like that!"

Is it still one carer at Blackpool and Mingo? Granted the demand isn't as problematic but Merlin need to do SOMETHING to solve the issue, and all possible solutions will upset someone presumably somewhere.

Isn't one of the major issues currently being faced entire families over the limit demanding they all are let on via RAP? And staff relenting in the face of being verbally abused when they say no?

With Nimbus taking over the RAP qualification i expected that to have quite an impact on the numbers but obviously lots of people still have historical Access cards so will probably take another year for that to make a noticeable effect. And of course depends how stringent they're actually being.

Is it still one carer at Blackpool and Mingo? Granted the demand isn't as problematic but Merlin need to do SOMETHING to solve the issue, and all possible solutions will upset someone presumably somewhere.
Mingo is still one carer, and BPB is one initial companion but up to two others can be added for £5 each.

Went to Chessington today and when you log in for Ride Access it now asks you how many people will be riding with you (and warns you once set this cannot be changed). Not really sure what the point of this is beyond data collection.

Also as an aside, can't recommended enough visiting over the Xmas period as a RAP user. Pretty much every ride was walk-on (even Mandrill) and overall the park is so quiet. I'm sure it's like this if you're able to visit on typical off peak days but for those who can't it's excellent.

Legoland today. As with Chessington the app now asks for number of riders when logging in.

SkyLion was a bit different as well, it gave us the option to book a second slot but i sense that was because there was a low number of RAP users in the park rather than a change of policy. Park was generally busy by Winter standards but the RAP and RAR lines were all empty (except SkyLion naturally).

Also noticed that NinjaGo shares the delightful feature of Pirate Falls in having an unmanned merge point where main queue meets both RAR and RAP. Fortunately the queue only just reached this point but this must be delightful in the summer.

Also noticed that NinjaGo shares the delightful feature of Pirate Falls in having an unmanned merge point where main queue meets both RAR and RAP. Fortunately the queue only just reached this point but this must be delightful in the summer.
Yeah hopefully they'll be a merge host on busy days, or it could have a Duel situation.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.