• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
OK, so it looks like the skyride will not be opening with the new season, has anyone on here actually used the rental wheelchairs and scooters?
Anyone know how many they have, what they charge, and is booking really necessary?
I know I am going to visit early season, but I won't know what day until that day arrives (the joys of self employment)...so booking in advance will be a challenge.
Very poor alternatives offered for an essential transport system for the disabled, even after lengthy discussion with staff in customer services...a whole year has passed with no signs of reopening.
I would have made further comment in the skyride topic to some of the responses posted before the last "closure" of the discussion over there...ablesist reactions need to be challenged.

Do you think the ableism is any better in this topic Rob?

Friend hired a mobility scooter at Chessie last year without pre-booking it. But we went midweek so wasn't particularly busy. Can't remember what the deposit was (think around £50) plus whatever the general fee was for it.

No idea on how Towers do it though. But assume would have similarities. You'll just have to endure the Guest Services queue with everyone else.

Anyone know how many they have,
I don't

what they charge
Wheelchairs are a £25 returnable deposit. Scooters are a £25 charge and £25 returnable deposit according to https://www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/before-you-visit/accessibility/accessibility-theme-park/
is booking really necessary?
I would suggest so. I wouldn't want to turn up to find there were none left. Even a last minute reservation might be worth a thought.

So to gain access to the new nemesis I have no option but to pay a £25 disability fee, as the free alternative shows no sign of returning yet?

See now where we disagree on the Skyride being classed as a transport service and I don’t class it as an alternative. This I agree is not on. The scooters should be free so long as proof of need is presented (you would need some sort of triage to prevent misuse)

This is far more likely to be seen as discrimination as the park are applying a charge that does not apply to able guests.

See now where we disagree on the Skyride being classed as a transport service and I don’t class it as an alternative. This I agree is not on. The scooters should be free so long as proof of need is presented (you would need some sort of triage to prevent misuse)

This is far more likely to be seen as discrimination as the park are applying a charge that does not apply to able guests.
Can I just check if this is a security deposit that you get back when the scooter is returned, or is it a charge that is non-refundable?

Can I just check if this is a security deposit that you get back when the scooter is returned, or is it a charge that is non-refundable?
"Please note that in order to hire a mobility scooter, there is a £25 returnable deposit fee and a £25 charge per day which you can process at Guest Services, located on Towers Street. Please note that you are welcome to bring your own mobility scooter to the Resort, but they are unable to be brought into ride queue lines and therefore must be left outside of the ride." - https://www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/before-you-visit/accessibility/accessibility-theme-park/

"
A limited number of wheelchairs are available for hire from Guest Services on a first come, first served basis. A £20 refundable deposit is required. We also have a limited number of slightly wider wheelchairs for fuller bodied guests.

Wheelchairs are subject to availability so we would suggest that guests who need a wheelchair to travel around the Theme Park bring their own for ease and certainty. Please note, due to the very hilly nature of our site, this can make powered buggies very unstable. Please take extra care when using them and speak to a staff member in Guest Services for further information."

Same source.

I believe for a standard wheelchair it’s just a deposit but for the motorised it’s a security deposit and a fee.

Wonder who does the risk assessments!
Never ever used a mobility scooter in my life, but they would be happy to let me lose on my own, for the first time, amongst all those pedestrians round steep hills and blind corners.
Buy your own mobility scooter which you convert to stick assorted gardening/landscaping tools onto.

Win/win.
Would need very big fat tyres with the state of the swampy gardens round here.

Thanks for providing the information. I am not surprised to learn there’s a security deposit that’s refundable, but the £25 charge on top is something I hadn’t expected.

There will be a cost to the business for purchase, maintenance and possible insurances related to having them, which would likely lead to the charge.

I’ve just had a look at a few other places for comparison:
  • Bluewater shopping centre - £14.40 for 4 hours
  • Meadowhall shopping centre - £2 an hour
  • Disneyland Paris - deposit & rental charge (not specified) for manual wheelchairs only
  • Flamingoland - free manual wheelchair hire, no mobility scooters
  • Paultons Park - £30 refundable deposit plus £25 hire charge
  • Drayton Manor - £10 deposit plus £25 hire charge
So, yes… looks like it’s a £25 payment to hire the scooter for a day, and that this is a fairly standard thing across most places.

With the skyride closed for a year, perhaps the Towers should be considering waiving the fee until the free mobility option returns.

Maybe so but I suspect they won’t because they don’t consider it a mobility option and if they did waive the fee that would create an expectation that it is… when it isn’t (legally) and they don’t want to set a precedent.

Last edited:
With the skyride closed for a year, perhaps the Towers should be considering waiving the fee until the free mobility option returns.
I think if you went to Towers and stated this, there response would be "the Skyride has not been provided as a mobility aid". The issue of classifying something such as the Skyride as a mobility aid is that everytime it goes down they leave themselves wide open to criticism and potential legal action.

I think the issue with the scooters is that they need to be paid for somehow and as something robust looks to cost £1k+ and the life span at a place like towers can't be great. The charge, I'm sure, also dissuades those who see them as 'better than walking', to keep them available for those who truly need them. If you have ever been to WDW I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

It is a very complex subject - there is an open air museum near Newcastle who operate a vintage bus with a wheelchair tail-lift(in addition to renting out scooters). They are clearly trying, but this is not a perfect solution either and I would put it in the "better than nothing" category. But on this subject, there is a town in Switzerland which is car free called Zermatt [bare with me, this is going somewhere], the operate electric busses and taxis for transport (https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Magazinbeitraege/nh-elektromobile). I would love to see Towers use similar vehicles to enhance mobility around the park, but this comes with many barriers, such as: the cost of purchase; the staff to drive it; and demand (how do you decide who can use it and not).

It is a very tricky subject - and I genuinely feel for people like yourself @rob666 needs a little support and isn't really getting what they need.

From the clear advice I was given, by my local mobility support group, it doesn't matter what the Towers thinks the ride is, the fact that it has been used for thirty years as a mobility device by many thousands of less mobile people, in law, it is a mobility device, whatever they want (or do not want) to call it.
I was plainly advised that it was indirect discrimination under the act...the park has withdrawn a facility, without warning or notice, that affects the less mobile far more than the mobile...and the alternatives offered were not appropriate...and charged for.
In law, it is a mobility support aid, however you want to see it...because it has been used as such by a great many less mobile people over many years.
No point in making a claim, as I have had no real loss, and I simply can't be bothered with the hassle.
Edit...sorry Chris, I ended up in the Velvet for lunch with my special (non towers going now) mate.
We would have got you a pint.

From the clear advice I was given, by my local mobility support group, it doesn't matter what the Towers thinks the ride is, the fact that it has been used for thirty years as a mobility device by many thousands of less mobile people, in law, it is a mobility device, whatever they want (or do not want) to call it.
I was plainly advised that it was indirect discrimination under the act...the park has withdrawn a facility, without warning or notice, that affects the less mobile far more than the mobile...and the alternatives offered were not appropriate...and charged for.
In law, it is a mobility support aid, however you want to see it...because it has been used as such by a great many less mobile people over many years.
No point in making a claim, as I have had no real loss, and I simply can't be bothered with the hassle.
Edit...sorry Chris, I ended up in the Velvet for lunch with my special (non towers going now) mate.
We would have got you a pint.

That’s not how the law works, the local group will have given that advice but it hasn’t been tested in law. Trust me if it had been Towers would have a different approach.

You might hypothetically take it to a court and win, but until you do the park has no legal reason to follow your opinion as there is no legal precedence to force them to do so. There is no part of the disability discrimination act that says a historic landscape must provide mechanical mobility aid, nor any part that says a ride can be considered such a device. It would take a judge to create precedence to force that rule.

Now a judge could very well come to the same conclusion as you but until they do Merlin has no reason to do so.

Yup, all that was explained to me, and posted on here, at the end of last year.
Poor practice, contestable, but defendable, was how it was put.
Not worth the effort when I am only disappointed, no actual financial loss, just a poor do.

It has raised its ugly head again as I have made enquiries for this year.

Yup, all that was explained to me, and posted on here, at the end of last year.
Poor practice, contestable, but defendable, was how it was put.
Not worth the effort when I am only disappointed, no actual financial loss, just a poor do.

It has raised its ugly head again as I have made enquiries for this year.

Yes but you brought up the legal side of things.

Trust me taking my sister in law who has severe disabilities around Towers without the Skyride is harder then with it but you come at the argument from the legal perspective so people respond in the same way.

No one denies it’s far easier to traverse the park with the Skyride than without.

And I think that might nicely round off the discussion?

I genuinely am sorry to hear of the challenges that planning a trip has brought around, and that you’re feeling quite aggrieved by the lack of support you’re receiving.

Nobody is saying it’s right, we all hear your experience.

Here’s hoping for an uptick in fortune for 2024 following the maintenance work.

Considering the evacuation procedures I'm actually amazed that there's not quite a significant list of conditions/disabilities/mobility issues that are not allowed to use the skyride.

For what it is worth (with a pretty good understanding of the application of law), I can't see any way that the closure of the skyride would put them in breach of the act for a good few reasons and the advice you have been given is just wrong, but I don't expect you to agree amd that's obviously fine. That's not to say it has been handled well in any way by Towers, and there is certainly more goodwill they could have afforded you and others in your position, but legally they are sound.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.