• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Galactica has an anti-rollback system similar to almost all major coasters. As soon as the train starts to ascend it's practically impossible for it to go backwards. They have a backup generator to power the lift motor to minimise the chances of a lift hill evac being required, but there's still a platform if they absolutely have to get people out up there.

I'm sure I've heard that's it does though. It'd be impossible to manually tilt the cars on the incline.
Why do you need to tilt the cars? You can (and would) evacuate from the prone position on the lift if required.

This might be a stupid question but if you can evacuate from the prone position then why do they need the mechanism in the station to bring the crafts to the seated position?

How would they stop riders from falling out when the restraint was released, and can the restraints be individually manually opened?
Individually released, yes. My memory is a bit hazy but I think you put steps out, release the flaps to allow the rider to put their feet down and support themselves, then release the harness using a mechanical key while it's supported by a couple of hosts to allow it to be opened gently. Repeat for each seat then repeat for each row.

Individually released, yes. My memory is a bit hazy but I think you put steps out, release the flaps to allow the rider to put their feet down and support themselves, then release the harness using a mechanical key while it's supported by a couple of hosts to allow it to be opened gently. Repeat for each seat then repeat for each row.
A very time-consuming process then :oops:
I've seen videos of brake run evacs with the steps, but they wouldn't be able to put those steps on the lift hill catwalk.

That’s exactly how I saw them get someone out in the station about 1 years ago, (it was stuck in the flying position) they also need to push the pin that comes out as the train tilts out of the way.

It's made more difficult by the fact that Towers have had no choice but to change some of the RAP entrances due to Covid and social distancing. They definitely need to fully explain the changes to guests upon collection of the wristband.

Last edited:
What’s the general issue (I don’t do Twitter), that staff don’t have good disability awareness training or that the rides are not accessible to disabled guests?

If it’s the former then I wouldn’t disagree, though I think that’s more around having a core group of staff on the disabled access areas rather than trying to get detailed training to what is a very transient staff base.

If it’s the latter then Towers have one of the better disabled access policies bar maybe some of the family parks that have no thrill rides and Disney.

What’s the general issue (I don’t do Twitter), that staff don’t have good disability awareness training or that the rides are not accessible to disabled guests?

If it’s the former then I wouldn’t disagree, though I think that’s more around having a core group of staff on the disabled access areas rather than trying to get detailed training to what is a very transient staff base.

If it’s the latter then Towers have one of the better disabled access policies bar maybe some of the family parks that have no thrill rides and Disney.
A mix of both I think.

A mix of both I think.

Not sure what the solution is to access issues other than saying theme parks can’t build big thrill rides but then you get into the area of one group limiting the options for another group and visa versa.

I'm not trying to defend the park or diminish the complaints.

But I know you should talk to the disabled person rather than just addressing their carer. But also you would address the person who speaks to you. So if I walked up to offer help, I would talk to the wheelchair user. But if the parent/carer approached saying "here is the ride access pass" then I would expect people to talk to the person who is presenting the card to them.

I'm not trying to defend the park or diminish the complaints.

But I know you should talk to the disabled person rather than just addressing their carer. But also you would address the person who speaks to you. So if I walked up to offer help, I would talk to the wheelchair user. But if the parent/carer approached saying "here is the ride access pass" then I would expect people to talk to the person who is presenting the card to them.

Depends on the situation, if it’s a transient interaction like a pass being presented then you talk to the person presenting the pass. If you are talking about access issues regarding a persons disability then you talk to the person with the disability not their carer.

It’s human nature to direct your conversation to the person doing the talking but it’s respectful in talking to disabled persons and their carers to talk to the disabled person directly. It’s a hard habit to break though.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.