• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access (pre 2024)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Giving RAP users immediate access seems like it could be problematic on low capacity rides (Rattlesnake in particular springs to mind). What are they going to do if large numbers of RAP users all decide to ride at the same time? Is that just tough luck for the main queue?

They still need to be careful with it as there's still potential for mix & matching main queue & RAP, which could become an even bigger problem than before if RAP priority at merge increases due to the new system

I hope they really fix it and not just transpose the dreadful analogue service to an app.

I guess the acid test is that if the posted queue time is 90 minutes, the scanning of the barcode will trigger a 90 minute countdown.

It would still be fair I think if they followed Disney and it triggered an 80 minute wait, as there may be a slight wait in the RAP queue and the wait isn't always accurate.

But yes hopefully this system means guests have to wait and it can't be used as free fasttrack.

Giving RAP users immediate access seems like it could be problematic on low capacity rides (Rattlesnake in particular springs to mind). What are they going to do if large numbers of RAP users all decide to ride at the same time? Is that just tough luck for the main queue?

They still need to be careful with it as there's still potential for mix & matching main queue & RAP, which could become an even bigger problem than before if RAP priority at merge increases due to the new system
Couldn't they always make it so that on certain attractions when there is a queue for RAP the QR code doesn't appear straight the way but rather 5 or 10 minutes after being requested?
Overall this system sounds like a big improvement, if it works well hopefully it can be introduced at Towers. One other thing though, what about people who are unable to use a smarphone or don't have one? I know the list of people who fit in those categories shrink all the time there will still be a few?

I'm sure they are capable of doing an easy to use device rental service for those living under a rock. 🙂

But the current system is instant access then wait X minutes before you can select the next ride, but staff weren't enforcing the wait on paper cards. So new system should be better as the wait before going to the second/third/etc ride should be enforced.

Overall this system sounds like a big improvement, if it works well hopefully it can be introduced at Towers. One other thing though, what about people who are unable to use a smarphone or don't have one? I know the list of people who fit in those categories shrink all the time there will still be a few?
I was thinking about this too. The cynic in me thinks this is where scope for abuse could lie if it's not addressed carefully.

For example, if there's a paper equivalent then how do you stop everybody from applying for it instead of using their phone? If it's another electric device that can be rented then it needs to be done in such a way as it locks out the person's usual phone (maybe even log it somewhere for follow up) if they try to book a slot with both systems in parallel.

Couldn't they always make it so that on certain attractions when there is a queue for RAP the QR code doesn't appear straight the way but rather 5 or 10 minutes after being requested?
It will only be the first ride of the day it appears instantly, then you wait out the queue time before the next ride can be selected.

So rattlesnake at 10am has a 15 minute queue, RAP user rides immediatly, then waits out the 15 minutes and goes to Dragon which has a 60 minute wait, rides Dragon, waits 60 minutes and goes to ride Kobra and so on.
The code for each subsequant ride won't appear until the wait from the previous one has elapsed.

Yes someone could ride a short wait ride while waiting for a longer one, but for those with children who are prone to meltdowns I imagine keeping the child busy is very important. Chessington also has the benefit of animal attractions to do while waiting for a timeslot to come up.

But the current system is instant access then wait X minutes before you can select the next ride
The current system isn't instant access - staff at merge control the ratio of main/ft/rap which can result in long RAP waits at popular rides.

As for ensuring people aren't in RAP twice, you could set it up so you have to scan your park ticket/annual pass for each member of the group - once you've created the group it would not allow the ticket/pass to be used in another group

I was thinking about this too. The cynic in me thinks this is where scope for abuse could lie if it's not addressed carefully.

For example, if there's a paper equivalent then how do you stop everybody from applying for it instead of using their phone? If it's another electric device that can be rented then it needs to be done in such a way as it locks out the person's usual phone (maybe even log it somewhere for follow up) if they try to book a slot with both systems in parallel.
Yeah I imagine when you apply for RAP it should only be able to be accessed on one device, couldn't they link it to your ticket? Can the code and your RAP is assigned to your ticket, only one device can use that ticket at once?
Hey, it's a bloody nice rock though.
Sometimes I wish I was under the rock too Rob, but you miss out on too much social stuff (which is the sad reality of being my age)

The current system isn't instant access - staff at merge control the ratio of main/ft/rap which can result in long RAP waits at popular rides.
What makes you think that merge won’t exist anymore?
The new system seems like it should be the same as before just with the timer managed online not paper.

Not sure TBH, think it's just my general pessimism around the whole thing. Hopefully it'll be as you described.

On the other hand, if fastrack is being replaced by virtual queue then paid users can reasonably expect near-immediate access/merging once their countdown reaches zero. The difference is (in theory) the virtual queue system doesn't allow too many people to have the same return time so there should never be a rush.

Last edited:
It's a start at least. Anything that discourages the rampant abuse can only be welcomed, still one big step away from a system.thats not worth abusing though.

Not sure TBH, think it's just my general pessimism around the whole thing. Hopefully it'll be as you described.

On the other hand, if fastrack is being replaced by virtual queue then paid users can reasonably expect near-immediate access/merging once their countdown reaches zero. The difference is (in theory) the virtual queue system doesn't allow too many people to have the same return time so there should never be a rush.
In theory it should work well, but then that's all based on ideal scenarios.

One key element will be how they deal with breakdowns and delays. The only way to really deal with that is to have an actual "smart" system that adds on downtime (as someone in the main queue would experience) and that "evacuates" the virtual queue in the event of a breakdown where the main queue is also evacuated. If the system isn't doing that, then you'll be back to the same old problems where there's a massive queue after downtime, thanks to a backlog of guests waiting to ride. I really doubt that'll be factored in, so unless we see perfect operations we'll still see problems and complaints.

It's also dependent on queue times being updated frequently. It's all well and good allocating return times based on queue times,. But that queue time needs to be updated frequently to factor in increasing numbers of guests, especially during the first part of the day and towards dusk when the old dark ride issue starts to bite. As I've mentioned before, if you really want to eliminate/substantially reduce RAP queueing, an ideal system needs to factor in the number of people virtually queueing, and allocate slightly longer return times to factor in the length of a RAP queue. Again, I don't think the system would account for that.

It's a step in the right direction I guess, but I don't think this really substantially resolves the problems that RAP currently causes.

Bump!

Thorpe have made accessibility changes, outlined in the video below:

Key points:

- Inferno now has a wheelchair lift!
- Fastrack and ambulant RAP now have a separate entrance on Inferno.
- Swarm's evacuation procedures are being updated to make the ride more accessible.
- A new accessibility centre is located between the security check and turnstiles, issuing access passes, carer tickets hire wheelchairs and RADAR keys.
- New signage!

Last edited:
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

We are visiting 4 attractions next week using a MAP going with 1 carer, I'm amazed how different each of the attractions are when trying to book a carer ticket.
AT - gives you the option to add carer alongside MAP, 1 click done 👍
TP - have to go through another part of the site few clicks more than necessary but eventually done 👍
LL - Similar to TP could be made easier but eventually done 👍
CWOA - What a pain in the backside it is trying to add a carer with an MAP, it simply doesn't allow you to book an online ticket 🙄 it seems you can book a carer with full paying ticket but not with MAP 👎👎👎

How can 4 sites using the same templates be so different? If anyone has any advice on how to add a carer pass with a MAP that would be great.

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

We are visiting 4 attractions next week using a MAP going with 1 carer, I'm amazed how different each of the attractions are when trying to book a carer ticket.
AT - gives you the option to add carer alongside MAP, 1 click done 👍
TP - have to go through another part of the site few clicks more than necessary but eventually done 👍
LL - Similar to TP could be made easier but eventually done 👍
CWOA - What a pain in the backside it is trying to add a carer with an MAP, it simply doesn't allow you to book an online ticket 🙄 it seems you can book a carer with full paying ticket but not with MAP 👎👎👎

How can 4 sites using the same templates be so different? If anyone has any advice on how to add a carer pass with a MAP that would be great.

You need to apply for a carer pass and then it is just treated like any other annual pass, you just select two annual pass pre-books and enter the barcode from the regular pass and then the barcode from the carer pass.

You need to apply for a carer pass and then it is just treated like any other annual pass, you just select two annual pass pre-books and enter the barcode from the regular pass and then the barcode from the carer pass.
Ah right ok, We have applied for a carer pass but not heard anything back from them yet so not sure if it will be available in time for Mondays trip to AT. Maybe I should ring Merlin to see what i can do.
Thank you for your response, appreciate your help.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.