Ride Access Pass Systems and Disabled Access

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Skyscraper, 1st Apr 2018.

1. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

The argument is (and I don't agree with it) that the individual disabled rider has a right to a full family and private life...that means they have the (presumed) right to go on the rides with all their family...so no one or two carers rule please, as that would be discrimination.
    Just make the main queues accessible to all.

Skyscraper likes this.
  2. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Again, staff implementing the current system correctly would solve this problem almost immediately.

However since some of the guests who abuse the system are awful human beings; odds are it's not worth the hassle the staff would receive as a 16 year old outnumbered by shouty people.

As always, implement the current system as it is would alleviate some of the issues. Beyond that change it to maximum 1 carer.

I don't know if the Legoland one is any good as never used it. It does get a lot of complaints on the Facebook pages but can't say for certain if it's any better. Removing the human element would help mind.

Skyscraper and Islander like this.
  3. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

I think it’s fair to say that many of the complaints thrown at the Legoland system are due to some people not being able to game the system like the other systems can be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT86, jon81uk, Craig and 1 other person like this.
  4. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Would have to be 2 as some disabled people do genuinely require two carers.

5. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    The only answer to that i can think of is a card that splits in two. One goes with the RAP user. The other with the rest of the group. When the group in the main queue arrives at gate area they show the card and the rap user is allowed entry onto the ride.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

rob666 and Skyscraper like this.
  6. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Some parks do use a system like that actually, and I think something like that at Towers would be a good idea. Like any new system though, implementing and policing it would be difficult.

delta79 likes this.
  7. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

That is true for every park worldwide that offers some form of alternative queue access for those with autism spectrum conditions and other reasons they are ambulant but cannot wait for long times. I don't think there is any park in the world that actively stops guests joining the main queue.
    If someone would have a meltdown (for example) waiting two hours in a queue line to ride something, they may well have a meltdown just waiting sat on the grass for it two hours. But going on another attraction with a five minute wait which they can cope with (as many activities like supermarket shopping involve short waits) will distract them enough that they can wait the two hours without an issue.

The problem comes with large group using it and people claiming they or their child cannot wait in queues so need the pass, only to use it for a two hour wait then join a one hour wait in the main queue, that person is unlikely to need it at all if they can handle the one hour waits. But having someone at the entrance to a ride, checking for hidden disabilities and refusing them to join the main queue would look awful.

I think the honest answer is there are many families with people on the autistic spectrum who probably can handle reasonable waits, just using it as fast track for their large group. But its really hard to enforce as the evidence is that they just have some form of condition.

The best solution right now is to move to digital enforcement of the wait time. Then if people do get in other queues at the same time that is up to them.

8. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Depends on the requirements and whether a person who may require 2 carers would be deemed able to safely evacuate an attraction. I'm not entirely sure what disabilities would require 2 carers tbh though.

Another issue with that is that it also messes up family groups where one of the adults is disabled. As the kids would not qualify as a carer in that situation. I'll be interested to find out in the future at the parks that do have a max limit (like Blackpool) how this would work for child friendly attractions.

Skyscraper likes this.
  9. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    With Towers potentially trialling virtual queueing in the near future, maybe they should start by introducing a virtual RAP system for certain rides? Then if it works it could be modified to cover general queues for a couple of popular rides, and finally rolled out fully if it was shown to work well.
    Thoughts?

10. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Who said Towers are going to do such a trial?

jon81uk likes this.
  11. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Unlikely now that social distancing is gone (realised that after sending my previous post). That system would be useful for the RAP though, as discussed above.

12. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

There is no evidence of virtual queing being used unless social distancing comes back resulting in longer queues than the pens can hold.

As already mentioned Legoland are using an online Q-bot RAP system and that would definitely be an improvement.

Islander, Skyscraper and rob666 like this.
  13. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    As I mentioned in the Thirteen thread, my RAP card was only marked 4 times on Monday, and two of those were Thirteen. Staff not marking the cards properly is one reason why the system gets abused and taken advantage of.

Also, as I mentioned previously in the Duel thread, Towers MUST add a merge host at the front door next season as non-RAP guests could easily use the ramp to bypass the bulk of the queue because there's no one to check RAP cards. Plus it's difficult for RAP guests to find a gap to merge onto the porch. Cutting both lines at the porch and a host letting a few people at a time into the building would help a lot.

Last edited: 28th Oct 2021
  14. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Ours was only marked on Thirteen, Spinball Whizzer and Wicker Man x2 - a total of four times throughout a 10-9 day.

Skyscraper likes this.
  15. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Can't remember the other two rides mine was marked on. Only other big coasters we did were Oblivion, Nemesis and Wicker Man.

Last edited: 28th Oct 2021
  16. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Cards being marked is rare, but cards being marked with the appropriate time slot is almost unheard of.

@Skyscraper @Danscott22 how long was the card blocked out for vs. the advertised queue time?