• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride Availability 2017

Well I'm sure it's not too difficult to update a website daily to warn people what's available but that would put people off and obviously they would rather get people through the gate then p**s them off.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Well I'm sure it's not too difficult to update a website daily to warn people what's available but that would put people off and obviously they would rather get people through the gate then p**s them off.
It is and it isn't. If someone is travelling to Alton (or any other park) and they have a 90 minute drive, chances are they're leaving home for the park at 8.00am or so. Closures or delayed openings often (but not always) come out of the daily inspections which will be taking place around the time most of your guests are leaving for their day at the park.

Therefore, you can update a site with known closures or long term ones but that then creates a "You said these rides were closed but we came and this other one was as well". That happened with the planned closure of Stealth last year. People were told it would be down and assumed that everything else was open and being Thorpe, it wasn't.

There are pros and cons. Stuff happens.

Last edited:
I hate this "stuff happens " quote. They are selling a product end off. At £ 50 a go you expect a decent known product not a "I'm sorry this and that is not available and we've known this for the last week " If that was retail you would need to give alot of refunds!

I think there's a middle ground to be had here. A certain level of temporary unexpected ride closures are inevitable at any park. However, there comes a point when a park's closure rate is far above average, and it starts to look bad. Especially on top of so-called "planned" closures, AKA: "we just CBA to open it and all that's important to us is your money."

Why are AT not "selling" an experience ? Whatever happened to "where the magic never ends "?

And if it's not retail what is all that stuff offered in the box office (upgrade this fast track that reserve a table here book a room there) and what does tower trading do sell merchandise and oh what about all the photo kiosks? I guess there is no retail elements at AT just want a decent themepark experience for £50 is that too much to ask?

It's not retail in the traditional sense. Retail (historically) has been less about the experience and more a service, although granted it's going in the opposite direction.

I just don't think this is a massive issue. If you disagree, fair enough. That's what this board is for.

My point is that Merlin are selling an experience right? Now they are panicking that attendance is dropping. Then come up with all the excuses under the sun except the bleeding obvious one (poor offering !!) and that word is spreading. What do tesco do when sales drop? Improve product range.

@themeparkfan that's too simple an analogy. Tesco increasing their selection of baked beans is quite different to what happens in the theme park industry. Not least because you buy can buy those exact same beans from Asda or Morrisons for a truly comparable price.

Plus, you suggest that Merlin aren't doing anything to improve their offering:

Legoland - great (really great!) family dark ride new this year
Chessington - cool family dark ride, a nice overlay with a well known IP
Alton - multi-million pound coaster arrives next season
Thorpe - how much have they spent on Disappointment Express? A fortune. Getting better reviews.
Heide - solid dark ride
Garda - wonderful family area last year, some VR nonsense too.

They're not sitting on their hands.

Fair points but all the closed rides haven't helped footfall for the last two years. Improved operational costs no doubt but not improved turnover. A business like a theme park needs a good experience to get new visitors and get revisits and that has certainly not been offered these last two years

Fair points but all the closed rides haven't helped footfall for the last two years. Improved operational costs no doubt but not improved turnover. A business like a theme park needs a good experience to get new visitors and get revisits and that has certainly not been offered these last two years

Agreed - the removal/shuttering of various rides means that they should be on top of availability of existing rides and that hasn’t been the case during certain periods this season.

I agree it needs to provide a good experience, of course - but you also have to balance the books too, especially if other parts/parks are hurting too.

Merlin take one step forward (new attractions) and two steps back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Silly decisions maybe like VR and DBGT. Why don't they create a focus group some teenager and adult enthusiasts some general public and the great John wardley I'm sure they could come up with a plan that wouldn't break the bank and bring in the customers

Silly decisions maybe like VR and DBGT. Why don't they create a focus group some teenager and adult enthusiasts some general public and the great John wardley I'm sure they could come up with a plan that wouldn't break the bank and bring in the customers

Yeah, they could even call it the 'Customer Council' or something like that. I'm pretty sure it would all work out just great and last for many years :)