• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

I do not believe this ride is manufactured by Intamin. I believe it was manufactured in house and by external engineering company's. With only the boats coming from Intamin.

I am trying to find more information to support this but nothing solid has come up for and against it being built by Intamin.

The one thing that does strongly support it not being built by Intamin, is the physical design of the ride that can be seen in the pictures and in the POV's. Certain aspects such as the complete lift hill design, the station design (specifically the mechanisms that can be see in pics that aid the boats in going round the station) parts of the channel, pump areas and run up's to the lift do not match the look and design of every single Intamin river rapids that I've ever seen. I highly doubt they would modify the key components of a ride for just one ride and for no apparent reason. They would and do keep the key components the same, then just modify the general layouts.

For the keen eyed, it is quite easily to tell a ride made by a certain manufacturer because of 'the way' they design things. The only things that look like Intamin on this, are the boats.

The plank system that carries the boat up the lift looks sufficient in my oppinion. My immediate thought and pure speculation into what happened is as follows:

The boat appears to be sitting on it's side with the compartment that passengers sit in facing the lift hill. It appears at first thought that the boat in front got stuck. The next boat has come along and hit the boat that is stuck, which due to it still being on a moving lift hill has forced the end up facing the station into the air. This would put the boat in that position. All Intamin Rapids that I have ever seen have sensors on the top of the lift hill that will not allow a boat to pass if the section that the untipped boat is on in the pictures, is not clear. To prevent this exact sort of thing happening.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/m...eamworld-theme-park-kills-4-raft-ride-n672301
Thunder River Rapids was built in 1986, according to Australian theme-park database Parkz. The database said the ride was built by Swiss-based company Intamin, but a spokesman for the firm told NBC News that this information was incorrect, and that it played no part in designing or manufacturing the ride.

So is this a knock off?

I do not believe this ride is manufactured by Intamin. I believe it was manufactured in house and by external engineering company's. With only the boats coming from Intamin.

I am trying to find more information to support this but nothing solid has come up for and against it being built by Intamin.

The one thing that does strongly support it not being built by Intamin, is the physical design of the ride that can be seen in the pictures and in the POV's. Certain aspects such as the complete lift hill design, the station design (specifically the mechanisms that can be see in pics that aid the boats in going round the station) parts of the channel, pump areas and run up's to the lift do not match the look and design of every single Intamin river rapids that I've ever seen. I highly doubt they would modify the key components of a ride for just one ride and for no apparent reason. They would and do keep the key components the same, then just modify the general layouts.

For the keen eyed, it is quite easily to tell a ride made by a certain manufacturer because of 'the way' they design things. The only things that look like Intamin on this, are the boats.

The plank system that carries the boat up the lift looks sufficient in my oppinion. My immediate thought and pure speculation into what happened is as follows:

The boat appears to be sitting on it's side with the compartment that passengers sit in facing the lift hill. It appears at first thought that the boat in front got stuck. The next boat has come along and hit the boat that is stuck, which due to it still being on a moving lift hill has forced the end up facing the station into the air. This would put the boat in that position. All Intamin Rapids that I have ever seen have sensors on the top of the lift hill that will not allow a boat to pass if the section that the untipped boat is on in the pictures, is not clear. To prevent this exact sort of thing happening.
in that case, it's most likely the park's fault.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/m...eamworld-theme-park-kills-4-raft-ride-n672301
Thunder River Rapids was built in 1986, according to Australian theme-park database Parkz. The database said the ride was built by Swiss-based company Intamin, but a spokesman for the firm told NBC News that this information was incorrect, and that it played no part in designing or manufacturing the ride.

So is this a knock off?

http://www.parkz.com.au/parks/AU/Gold_Coast/Dreamworld/ride/7-Thunder_River_Rapids

This link, although not providing any solid evidence does support what I have said and what the NBC link you posted has said.

They really do not look like Intamin Rapids. Intamin's design has been fairly consistent and unchanged from when they first built these rides to the present day and this ride looks nothing like that when you examine it closer.

It's impossible to say whether it is park or manufacturer at fault with such limited information. The investigators will be able to come to a conclusion on that.

My first impression when I saw the ride was that it didn't look like an Intamin so not surprised to hear that it's not.

EDIT:

Intamin have put the following statement on their website:
Intamin said:
Like everyone in our industry, we are shocked and saddened about the tragic event at Dreamworld.
Please be informed that this ride was neither built by Intamin nor supplied by Intamin. We are therefore not in the position to make any comment.
Our thoughts are with the families and friends of those affected.

:)

Last edited:
victims have been named and pictured:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...under-River-Rapids-water-ride-flips-over.html
also:

39B33ACF00000578-3869782-image-a-80_1477399153499.jpg

Nasty!! Thoughts go out to the families concerned.
Looking at the POV this is def wild. Seatbelts an all.

Do all Rapids have exit loading sensors? Not uncommon to have multiple boats bouncing getting squeezed for position.

I believe from some digging this had a rotating station that was turned off due to H+S. Maybe the plank gaps are so the boats don't bunch too much on whatever new system they use

The BBC annoyed me with their 'Worst amusement park accidents' list, all of which feature people who have been sadly killed apart from one notable entry. Whilst it was a terrible accident on the Smiler, nobody lost their lives. It's funny how there is no mention of the deaths on The Space Invader at Mandy Land, which is worse because they lost their lives.

Last edited:
I still can't work out how the raft has flipped just because it has hit another raft? Surely at the end of the conveyer belt rafts hit each other a fair bit

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It turns out that there were also two children on the ride but they miraculously survived with only minor injuries. However both children saw their mothers die in front of them. Awful :(

This has got to be the most horrific theme park accident I have ever come across. Just horrendously awful.