• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

oh dear.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3873568/I-felt-sick-Father-s-outrage-Australian-theme-park-sold-50-souvenir-photos-family-killer-Thunder-River-Rapids-ride-medics-battling-save-four-dying-tourists.html\
EDIT: this is what happened:

39B9A32100000578-3873568-image-a-5_1477466905006.jpg

surely they wouldn't have been thrown from the raft if they were wearing seat belts?
I must confess I did collect my big 6 wristband on the way out following the Smiler crash. I asked for it despite not being able to complete it due to the accident. I feel bad about it now but we didn't realise how serious the situation was at the time.

I must confess I did collect my big 6 wristband on the way out following the Smiler crash. I asked for it despite not being able to complete it due to the accident. I feel bad about it now but we didn't realise how serious the situation was at the time.

Don't feel bad about it, it's easy to blame yourself but you weren't to know at the time. If it was something minor that ment you didn't get on meaning you didn't get the wristband you would have kicked yourself.

I also agree about it being the worst theme park accident. Do you think human error could be the issue here? Finding it hard to get my head around what happened

I still can't work out how the raft has flipped just because it has hit another raft? Surely at the end of the conveyer belt rafts hit each other a fair bit

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The raft in the station was below the one on the conveyor, the conveyor didn't stop so the raft rode up the side of the stationary one. I assume that the back edge got caught on one of the slats on the belt, which dragged it the rest of the way over.

This accident is awful, my thoughts go out to the families :(

This has got to be the most horrific theme park accident I have ever come across. Just horrendously awful.

I also agree about it being the worst theme park accident.

Here is youtube video of the to 10 most deadly rollercoaster accidents, enough to put you of rollercoaster for life, however if you put this into perspective, you are many more times more likely to be involved in a car accident travelling to a themepark as oppose to being involved in a themepark accident.

I hate those videos with photoshopped thumb nails! So misleading as to how real, serious accidents occur. There's one of someone falling off Blue Fire mid-loop which looks just believable enough that some people fall for it.

How the hell did the child get decapitated

When the ride was delayed, netting was applied along the slide's route:

verruckt_2.jpg

On the hill after the slide's initial drop, the boat flew off the slide itself and into the netting above. The netting is helded up by arched brackets attached to the slide. Not the nicest way to go :(.

The most ridiculous thing is that the boat flying off the slide happened during testing of the ride, and this was the reason the netting was installed along with some padding on the bottom of the slide to slow it down. Why the impact of hitting the netting at such a speed wasn't thought about is beyond me though.

Edit: After doing a bit more reading, there seems to be more of a suggestion that the seatbelt (velcro type) came loose and the kid came out of the boat rather than the boat itself flying up. Either way, it's still something that really should have been considered.

Last edited:
I hate those videos with photoshopped thumb nails! So misleading as to how real, serious accidents occur. There's one of someone falling off Blue Fire mid-loop which looks just believable enough that some people fall for it.
The other day YT was reccomending me a video about that "euthenasia coaster", entitled "The Roller Coaster Designed to Kill You!"
.... The thumbnail was Nemesis.

So Dreamworld has re-opened and of course the area where the rapids are located is closed off, as you would expect.

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...y/news-story/35c1afc24fc6fcf44aaf87a56f2825f0

I am not sure how I feel about this part:
"Dreamworld is still in the planning stages of a permanent memorial to honour the victims".
Having a permanent reminder of the tragedy in the park will resonate differently from person to person. I hope whatever the final idea is doesn't come across as a tacky business ploy and is a well received gesture