• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

One person dead, three injured in accident on raft ride at Iowa amusement park (Adventureland).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-park-raging-river-death-accident/7865581002/

bab429b6-af65-4505-8fa3-dd27e09d74d9-151_5149.JPG

Ooh dear, this sounds quite bad. Sounds similar to the one that happened at Dreamworld a few years ago.

My condolences go to the family of the person who died, and I hope everyone else comes out OK in the end.

Account from the deceased father, who was also on the ride.

”When it flipped over all of us were trapped in seats in seatbelts. We all began to, the water’s kind of shallow so all our heads were just hitting rocks,” Jaramillo explained. ”I’m looking around, you can see the kids hands, little hands man they were just trying to reach for us to help them. And I was trying so bad but I didn’t know what to do, we were drowning upside down,”

The boat flipped, the boat had seatbelts. This is why seatbelts can't be the answer to the risk of falling out of radips rides from our currentnervousoperators, the chance of this happening is just too great.

The boat flipped, the boat had seatbelts. This is why seatbelts can't be the answer to the risk of falling out of radips rides from our currentnervousoperators, the chance of this happening is just too great.

Yep this is the issue with the calls for seatbelts following the incident at Drayton Manor, if there is a capsize it can lead to more issues. I'm not sure if these had one, but I would say seatbelts are only really needed on rapids with a steep (log flume style) drop such as Kali at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Account from the deceased father, who was also on the ride.

”When it flipped over all of us were trapped in seats in seatbelts. We all began to, the water’s kind of shallow so all our heads were just hitting rocks,” Jaramillo explained. ”I’m looking around, you can see the kids hands, little hands man they were just trying to reach for us to help them. And I was trying so bad but I didn’t know what to do, we were drowning upside down,”

That is harrowing and heartbreaking to read.

There's also a video out there now from onboard the boat behind. Knowing what's going on under that boat it doesn't need watching to be honest, but it does show the boat capsized on a normal free-flowing section of the ride, not as part of any lift or conveyor as other water rides have been recently have been. Quite how that was possible I don't know.

This is local to me, Carrickfergus Northern Ireland (UK). Incident was a small star flyer type ride. Planet fun is a traveling funfair that travels throughout Ireland.

I've been to planet fun once when it was in Belfast. Some of their attractions were really old (I'm not saying poorly maintained by the way).

Looks like it got too fast too low and the chairs hit the signs at the base.

I think this a recurring starflyer issue. I suspect when it estops it lowers as quickly as it 'safely' can down the tower, but it does not/cannot trim the rotation speed quick enough so the still extended seats collide with the gantry and furniture.

Reactions: Tom