• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

Just watched a news conference regarding the investigation of the Icon Park drop tower incident.

The proximity sensor on the restraint had been adjusted in a way that would allow the restraint gap to be open around twice it's normal distance before signalling that the restraint was not closed. Not good.

It was on fox 35 news channel.

If true, that's some serious liability there. I cannot fathom why anybody would adjust a safety critical part outside of the manufacturer's limits, especially if it was just to avoid turning away some oversized guests 🤷.

This also means they've been putting at risk countless others who should've been rejected from riding previously.

That's absolutely disgusting if that's what's happened. They should be shut down for good if it's true. That's not an accident. That's basically manslaughter as they have messed with something that shouldn't have been changed and they'd have known this too.

And all for what? Because they don't want to tell overweight Americans they are too big to ride. That's just tough luck. That's part of the job.

Last edited:
"According to the report, the harness proximity sensor on seat 1 (seat Sampson was in) "was manually loosened, adjusted, and tightened to allow a restraint opening of near 7 inches." Normal range is near three inches, the report said.

Seat 2 was also adjusted, the report said. The other seats appeared to be within their normal range, according to the report."

Link to report:

I’m not an expert on American law, but to be fair the UK’s safety is highly flawed. I recently watched the drama and documentary about the Hillsborough Disaster. I know that’s going back to the 1980s, but no one got prosecuted for that, despite the mountain of evidence. Will anyone get prosecuted for Grenfell Tower? It’s looking very doubtful. Again, when you look at the negligence there, it’s pretty harrowing. The UK government has cut funding for the HSE by about 50% since the start of austerity. I don’t think we can be complacent about our own health and safety.

Looking at the photos of the proximity sensor, those plates allow for a rather large and unnecessary window of adjustment. No marker paint on any bolts or nuts, I was always under the impression that was industry standard. Obviously not.

Last edited:
Looking at the photos of the proximity sensor, those plates allow for a rather large and unnecessary window of adjustment.
They look like off the shelf sensors. So would not have mountings that matched the ride safety envelope, it would be down to a competent engineer to adjust them to the correct position for ride safety.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

They look like off the shelf sensors. So would not have mountings that matched the ride safety envelope, it would be down to a competent engineer to adjust them to the correct position for ride safety.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
I don't think we are talking manufactured markings or physical limits, but paint lines showing where the component should be and making it visually obvious should it move at all, as seen on pretty much every bolt of every coaster in the UK.

That report is absolutely incredible. Wow. I just can't get my head around why anybody would do that.

I have now taken the time to read it in full and it makes for very bleak reading indeed.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the operators should have their license revoked entirely and banned forever from running amusement parks / attractions.

To tamper with safety sensors is absolutely incredible in this day and age. What on earth must they have been thinking to do such a thing? Surely they knew by doing that they were running a risk of this happening? Clearly seems to have been done to ensure more riders can experience the ride and therefore make more money. I can't see any other reason to do such a thing.

So so sad. What a awful thing to happen.

Yes definitely looks like adjustments were made so seats 1 and 2 could be used for the larger guest.

The investigation isn't over however. I would imagine that ride hosts will be questioned on whether they were told that those seats were to be used for that reason.

I'm not sure how the law works in America but in the UK that would amount to Corporate Manslaughter, as well as civil liabilities.

This falls under state law not federal so there are 50 different ones.

There will be civil liabilities for sure.