• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ride/Park Accidents

So we're looking at a Zamperla Hawk at Canada's Wonderland (Cedar Fair). There was a fatal accident on another one in 2004 however that was caused by the park bypassing safety systems which disable the ride when the restraints aren't locked. I think I will be following this one as it doesn't appear to fit the usual causes (guest misuse, knock-off make, in a country with lax safety standards)

So we're looking at a Zamperla Hawk at Canada's Wonderland (Cedar Fair). There was a fatal accident on another one in 2004 however that was caused by the park bypassing safety systems which disable the ride when the restraints aren't locked. I think I will be following this one as it doesn't appear to fit the usual causes (guest misuse, knock-off make, in a country with lax safety standards)
Any ride which is programmed to stop upside down for a few seconds as part of it's cycle could get stuck in that position if the power was cut. From what I read that sounds like the case here as the ride continued it's cycle after it was fixed before stopping as normal.

Any ride which is programmed to stop upside down for a few seconds as part of it's cycle could get stuck in that position if the power was cut.
Hmm, it shouldn't really. Rides like this are designed to be powered in to that position, not out of it. The defult for a loss of power at that point should be a natural unpowered swing to the rigbt way up. The only way it should be possible would be a catastrophic seizing up of the drive/gearing mechanism, which with proper maintainance should be a never event.

Australia - Adventure Land raft ride investigations continue, and both the state and individual ride inspector that signed it off the day before the incident are to be used for liability, which considering the clear safely issues identified after seems reasonable.

India - Girls hair gets caught in big wheel mechanism, appears the ride was stopped just before she gets scalped.

USA - Galaxy Spin reopens after child fell from it recently, apparently better signage is sufficient with no change to operations or restrictions, so that obviously won't happen again...

USA - Woman suing Six Flags after a 'noose shaped vine' gets tangled round her neck on log flume.

Scotland - Girl loses toe after foot is crushed in queue line by lowering platform. Confiding Group Extreme is the ride type.

USA - Disney being sued aster guest receives an, erm, a sort of enima on water slide.

Yeah it's a much more serious issue than that article implies

There medics found she had a "full thickness laceration" of the vagina, which "caused the plaintiff's bowel to protrude through her abdominal wall and damage her internal organs".

Re: Typhoon Lagoon
Crikey. I actually winced when I read that.

I can only hope this hasn’t caused her irreparable damage which may affect future fertility.

As an aside, but related, Sky News have awful grammar in their articles. I was VERY confused by the following sentence:

According to court documents, she went on the ride wearing a one-piece swimming costume with her mother and daughter after being instructed to cross her legs.

At first I mistakenly thought this was a raft ride, given she was on the ride with her mother and daughter. Then I wondered why she was wearing a one-piece swimming costume with her mother and daughter. Then I wondered why she needed to wear her one-piece swimming costume with her mother and daughter because she was told to cross her legs.

Alas. After reading it elsewhere, I understand!!

Last edited:
'Heavily armed man' found dead at Colorado amusement park with multiple guns and explosives
To a Brit it just shocks me how easily Americans can access guns, at least this person seems to have only attacked himself.