• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Robot Wars returns!

Just caught up on the last episode last night. It was pretty much the same really, one standout robot and one made of wood? Not really exciting or innovative. :confused:

One thing that was a major highlight was watching the arrogance of the Dontamkia team get smashed by a better robot. I hope they never appear on Robot Wars again, their arrogance ruined the show. Poor losers and poor winners. Get REKT! :D

OK, Apollo has some serious power in that flipper! I'm not normally a fan of flippers, they always seem like the easy option compared to utterly shredding your opponant in to metalic dust. But any robot that can casually immobalise Matilda, Dead Metal, and Shunt in between attacks on their actual target gets my vote!
Now someone put them in the arena with Killalot please. I want to see that overhyped fat hunk of rust go flying!

Last edited:
Killalot's still the only house robot that hasn't been flipped over on Robot Wars in either of its incarnations (no, toppling over due to the weight of a robot in his claw does not count). It's only a matter of time before it finally happens, and I for one cannot wait to see it. :D

If they can get him up against the low bit of the side wall, they might even be able to flip him out of the arena. He's got to be pretty top heavy, so it might not even take that much power.

If they team up like they did in the Flipper Frenzy in Robot Wars Extreme, then I guess it might just work!

If they team up like they did in the Flipper Frenzy in Robot Wars Extreme, then I guess it might just work!
Hehe, that was one of the fights we saw all those years ago.

... well, I say "saw", we were watching it on a screen because we were so far away from the action.

I really enjoyed last night's episode. The standard of the robots that made it into the round robin was probably the highest we've seen.

Apollo was a very entertaining robot. Taking on and beating the house robots and finishing off Storm with an OOTA flip. Deserving winners and they could do very well in the final.

I really liked the design of PP3D. I have a soft spot for spinners and it was a very destructive robot when it was working. Unfortunately, like a lot of spinners it couldn't withstand the impacts it was dishing out.

The only downside of the episode was that Storm 2 was a bit disappointing. They lacked the astonishing pushing power and speed that they demonstrated in the 7th series. Apparently they downgraded their motors in the name of reliability.

The final is shaping up to have a good mix of robots. There's a spinner, a pusher, two flippers and hopefully Thor will make it through on a wildcard to put an axebot in the final.

I think the recent episode has been my favourite so far, mostly with the House Robots getting owned, that is always Robot Wars to me whenever that happens! :p

I kinda felt sorry for PP3D as I sort of wanted it to do well, but it looked so unstable that I thought it was going to shake itself apart a few times, never mind the exposed wheel problem. Speaking of the House Robots, I'd really like to see them get more on the action when a robot is immobilised and actually do something, who can remember the brutal and even cruel nature of them in Series 2? That to me was them at their best playing the 'villains' of the show by not giving any contestant robot a chance...and made even more satisfying whenever one got their comeuppance! :D

If a new series does happen, they would probably have gotten an idea of what to change or improve on as this whole series is pretty much them trying to work out the kinks in what makes the show work.

I'm seeing this series as a benchmark for future series. I think they'll look at this series, take on feedback, and see how they can make things better. Having said that, I'm still very impressed with this Robot Wars reboot, and I do believe it will get better as more series are made. It's got better as this series has gone on, for starters!

This weeks episode was by far the best I thought. I liked the mix of robots and the underdog winning. Taking on the house robots was funny as well.

The only issues with this knock out then heats system is that the House robots feel a bit redundant as they can't really inflict damage in case it ruins the robots for future rounds. They feel a bit shackled.

The play offs are an odd one. On one hand, it gives robots a chance to prove themselves, rather than "one mistake and you're out". On the other hand, "one mistake and you're out" is exactly the kind of brutal, unforgiving contest that made the old show feel like it was a real battle to the death!

This weeks episode was by far the best I thought. I liked the mix of robots and the underdog winning. Taking on the house robots was funny as well.

The only issues with this knock out then heats system is that the House robots feel a bit redundant as they can't really inflict damage in case it ruins the robots for future rounds. They feel a bit shackled.

As I stated before this annoys me with the house robots...

This weeks episode was very good, the power of Apollo's flipper was incredible and made for great viewing! Once again though the house robots did nothing (although it was great seeing them flipped) - they felt pointless in this eposide. Let them loose when a robot is immobilised!

:)

I'm not sure I liked tonight's episode. Lots of contentious Judges' decisions and post-bout adjustments. I was initially thrilled when Pulsar went through to the head to heads as I though Chompalot and Gabriel had no place being there. However, Pulsar winning left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth because although it was clearly a beautifully engineered machine, they suffered drive problems throughout.

I think that Ironside may have been a more worthy winner. I do agree with the judges on the result of their bout against pulsar, but if it was won by knockout Ironside should have been counted out once flipped. Why was it allowed to go to time? There's a bit of a whiff of meddling about this episode. Pulsar's route to the final seemed a little too easy given the circumstances.

I have to admit I wrote off Gabriel. I thought it would be smashed to pieces by the spinners. In actual fact, letting the tough, flexible wheels take the impacts while the crucial mechanics of the robot are safely out of reach proved to be quite a clever design.

I agree that the judging did seem a little contentious although I did enjoy the epsiode overall - it was nice to see a robot destroyed in one of the head-to-head battles for a change! Pulsar did get the rub of the green throughout although I think they were worthy winners, it's also good to have a different type of spinner in the final (had Ironside won I felt it was very similar to Carbide).

Gabriel looked like it would be useless at first but it proved to be a very difuctult robot to attack and was able to inflict some powerful blows. I would like to see either it or Thor as the wildcard for the final as they both offer something different to the other finalists.

:)

I have to say that Chompalot's exit was quite spectacular going out in a ball of flames, even if it was in an unfortunate manner. The winner, Pulsar, I wasn't expecting but their run from going out in the first round to becoming the winner is one of the great 'back from the dead' stories in RW.

Really interested to know now who will be the winner in next week's finale...I'm hoping that the reboot will get the nod of approval from the BBC over a new series.

Just watched the final...
Carbide vs Apollo: the final I hoped for! :D Good to see the newbies win. Though I've always thought result of finals should not go to the judges, they should be TO THE DEATH.

Meh I thought the final...
was a bit of an anticlimax with the judges giving it to Apollo, should have gone a second round and given them time for repairs so Carbide could have fixed it's spinner.

I thought it was an epic finale, truly gripping stuff and I was happy at who the winners were.

That said I was somewhat sorry for Carbide, as did Thor which got nothing short of a battering, as I did have a small bet on them to win it, though who thinks the destruction of the arena by Carbide reminded them of Storm 2 destroying the wall in the 7th Wars?

Either way, let's hope a new series is on the cards after the good response it has received in contrast to the Top Gear reboot, then again after that disaster I suppose they had nothing to lose.