• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

That video was a great, it good to see entertainment the magic is alive and well within that dept.
Was that the actor that plays Edward England playing head catcher ?

That video is really funny!

I love how many people were standing and watching it from the sidelines :)

On the subject of the Scarerooms over in the Alton Towers Hotel I feel we've gone back a step yet again. Last year the old fashioned theme fit in with the hotel perfectly, the fancy logo's and art deco style theming and the knock through brick work gave the hotel a 'Hollywood Tower Hotel' feel and gave it a really creepy atmosphere. As well as themeing, the Bellboys roamed the hotels lobby in the evening interacting with guests which added an extra perk to their stay.

This year, I feel the cheaper look 'Altonville Motel' doesn't fit in with the hotels theme and atmosphere and just looks out of place, with less themeing than previous years and the loss of the Bellboys it just feels like yet another step back from previous Scarefest's.

I love the clown breakout video. I keep laughing to myself, wondering what they would have done if Gaz was walking past dressed as 'Chillie', he'd have probably been forced inside with them.

377558_10151457199298448_650371523_n.jpg

It's a brilliant video, something they didn't need to do but made it happen to improve the general scarefest mood

Didn't see another topic anywhere so will post here. On a run through of The Sanctuary, we were told we couldn't take our bags through with us. Now this might not seem like a major problem at first, but when you have hundreds of people leaving bags full of cameras, phones, etc, you get a huge problems. Especially when the entrance and exit are at different ends of the ruins. Add that for 2 weeks they had said it was ok to take bags in with you and ToTT has a crawl through section, but its ok to take bags.

Later in the day they seemed to be letting you take bags inside, but not large teddys which I fully understand. So things seemed to get better, but then we experienced a few members of staff who still didn't know what a freedom pass was. Im sorry and Im sure the vast majority of staff are fine, but can someone just make sure all the staff are aware of what's going on and make sure that everyone enforces the same rules as it doesn't look good when customers are having to leave their bags, when by the looks of things, the only rule that changed was for large toys!

To be fair, I understand the confusion over Freedom Passes. The maze hosts see thousands of tickets a day. They have probably been briefed over FPs but it's not something that they come across frequently (when you bear in mind that less than 100 people have them, and not all of us visit every day).

I think it's only right that they occasionally radio through about the passes to seek some clarity, especially if they've never come across one before. If I come across something for the first time at work then I always double check with someone else before I approve it. They have never, to my knowledge, turned away a FP holder so I don't see the issue, there's no harm in them holding you for a few minutes whilst they check.

If the bag situation is true (I only say that because I wasn't there, so I'm just going off what you have said), then I do agree with you Dave. I think it must have just been one host making up their own rules though as I don't see how Towers would have thought that a sensible thing to do? Guests have to walk all the way back around, somehow get past the maze hosts without a ticket/push past the rest of the queue, just to get to the front to get their bags back. Stooooopid.

I have enjoyed Scarefest this year. Shame the lighting hasn't been up to scratch, and there doesn't of seemed to be the atmosphere of previous Scarfests. It has been good to see the paid mazes getting decent queues this year. Was concerned last year that even on busy days there seemed to be little interest in the mazes.

Terror of the Towers was the usual fare. Nothing bad, it does the job, just feeling a bit tired now. Needs quite a big refresh for next year rather than some minor changes.

Carnival of Screams seemed quite hit and miss. For me the weakest of the attraction. Not bad in anyway, just lacked cohesion and relied to much on the actors to make the experience. If they were not on form, as our trip through yesterday proved to me, the whole experience could be very poor.

The Sanctuary was my personal favourite. I loved the whole concept and giving a different take on an abandoned hospital/asylum. It used the surroundings and actors to good effect and also had the psychological aspect to it, making it feel like you were descending in to a nightmare. Great addition.

In terms of atmosphere and general ambience, Scarefest has been poor this year. Seems to go backwards every year in that respect. In terms of mazes I think it has been a good year. With the paid mazes being on park again seemingly working well in their locations, and also was great to see the opening up a normally closed off area of the ruins for a new maze.

I see where you're coming from, but that would be like me saying just wait while I go and see how to process this new coupon I haven't seen before and then having to hold the queue up while I sort it out. All staff members should be briefed before hand about Freedom passes no matter how rare they are. How many Fastrack Platinum tickets do they sell per day? Not many, but wouldn't you be annoyed after paying £85 for your ticket only to be told to wait while they go and check what to do with it.

Anyway, all in all I had a great day yesterday and The Sanctuary and Carnival were really good :)

a3umade5.jpg

Fantastic walkabout actors.

ugety3y2.jpg

Zombie ScareZone

be8uguty.jpg

juvybyvu.jpg

7e7ype8a.jpg

egasu4at.jpg

ymeza5u9.jpg

They could make this so much better, if only they tried!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For those who were terrified of the Hamble Twins...

FEAR NOT. Sunday, I saw a walkabout clown on stilts wearing an Elsie Hamble mask - she lives on! :D

If anyone's interested, just found out that Charmaine (the Sanctuary music) is played throughout the mental institution in the 1975 film version of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest...

delta79 said:
That video was a great, it good to see entertainment the magic is alive and well within that dept.

Yes it is the same guy who plays Edward England and sometimes Sharktooth Jack. Hes played a big part with the mazes this year.

You'll very rarely see him in the Pirate Show now, though, especially at Scarefest, due to his increased responsibilities :)

A heads up to anybody who is interested, tonight's episode of Blue Peter is coming from Towers, it was filmed yesterday and will likely include some shots inside the mazes! Well, at least inside ToTT as we saw the film crew heading in yesterday just before our run!

It's on at 5:45 tonight and will be on iPlayer afterwards :)

delta79 said:

He's called Pete, he originated the part of Sir Edward England, he has acted at Towers for quite a few seasons but recently got the performance manager job, so I imagine will be acting less. He has been great at getting TowersStreet the extreme run through and behind the scenes of sanctuary.

Sammy said:
A heads up to anybody who is interested, tonight's episode of Blue Peter is coming from Towers, it was filmed yesterday and will likely include some shots inside the mazes! Well, at least inside ToTT as we saw the film crew heading in yesterday just before our run!

Once it's available to play, it can be found here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01nrc29/

Edit:
It wasn't shown tonight, it's on tomorrow (Friday 2nd November 2012), at 4:30pm. I was looking forward to this, but now I have to wait longer! Damn!

T said:
Sammy said:

Once it's available to play, it can be found here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01nrc29/

Edit:
It wasn't shown tonight, it's on tomorrow (Friday 2nd November 2012), at 4:30pm. I was looking forward to this, but now I have to wait longer! Damn!
It was on tonight on the CBBC channel, which had some good shots of Air and of the Towers, as well as the inside of ToTT!

It was pretty good. :)

Longy said:
T said:
Sammy said:

Edit:
It was on tonight on the CBBC channel, which had some good shots of Air and of the Towers, as well as the inside of ToTT!

It was pretty good. :)
Ah, I don't tend to watch the CBBC Channel.. IPlayer doesn't appear to cover it either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great to hear the sanctuary has won best scare attraction from scare tours