• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

I know there are members of the teams who read this stuff, so I wish to offer you all my congratulations on winning the SCARE Tours award for The Sanctuary.

I've been quick to criticise this maze based on the walk through I had, especially the Marm room which I felt was poor. However there was plenty to praise too. It is most important however to note, that this opinion, ignorant in its very truest definition, was based purely upon my own, quite fair expectations, of how this attraction had been organised behind the scenes.

You know, Merlin, being so big and all, were bound to be big budget, well organised months in advance etc.

Well, apparently not. (Cue gasps of shock and horror!)

It came to light across multiple topics of discussion, that they had very little relative budget, and a frankly stupid amount of time in which to get it ready, as well a creating a new team to piece the jigsaw that is the Towers, into some form of a cohesive, plausible and authentic theme!

Merlin will not be getting any praise from me you'll be surprised to know, but the near miraculous presentation of a maze of such a standard, to win such accolades is nothing short of momentous, if I do indeed have my facts straight on this occasion!

So whilst I do not believe the maze shone with the glory it could have done, when being in a fortunate position to be furnished with more facts via this forum, and putting more into context the frames within which this picture was built, I am left with nothing but admiration and respect for those who managed to create something of such high calibre, in quite extraordinary conditions.

I doubt those individuals will ever receive the credit or rewards they deserve for such work, such is the nature of these multiple headed corporate beasts nowadays, however this skeptic has been well and truly won over.

So once again, to the people who work tirelessly behind the scenes, under difficult conditions, to bring us entertainments and quality frights to warm our souls in the deepest darkest days of autumn, thank you!

I doth my cap to you all.
The Man

Merged your post into here, TheMan, as we already have this thread for discussing the 2012 mazes and the Sanctuary's win! :)

Magrathea said:
Merged your post into here, TheMan, as we already have this thread for discussing the 2012 mazes and the Sanctuary's win! :)

Proof that team member Magrathea does actually do stuff after continuous claims that he doesn't! ;) Right as you were!

So long as the people who matter get to read it, you can post it to my posterior for all I care ;D

I was very quick to criticise Scarefest this year, but the divide between what is Merlin downward pressure, and what is Alton doing their best to work against it, becomes ever more clear.

Being so vocal in my critique I felt it was important to redress that balance. Of course, my run through was pretty dire, I stand by that - and I paid what I believe a hefty premium for that experience, but having better understood the circumstances I think the job was remarkable!