• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2014

Probably all of them the way things are going!

The mazes will be as scary as they always are, 99.9% of guests will have either not been on them or only done it once so won't know where the scares are (not that I'm happy with the stagnation)

The mazes are not really suitable for a 9 year old but Zombie Scarezone is a possibility for her.

Yeah sorry, I was only being sarcasic. Agreed, scare zone is ok, isnt the new maze, scary tales only a 3 pumpkin as well? That may also be ok.

I'm going with my 9 y/o daughter, are these mazes suitable for kids of that age!?

Depends how brave they are, TOTT and The Sanctuary though I would say only if she's REALLY brave!

I will say this though, I took my daughter through at 11/12 and she didn't enjoy it - at all - but I must say when I gave the actors a little nod to show it was getting a bit much for her they backed off very subtly. To do that in that environment I was really impressed with!

Zombies isn't as bad because it's more open, but it can still get a little intense, as for the new one - not sure. They tend to have different entertainment around for the little ones but I have to be honest I have paid no attention to it at all

Most scare actors are pretty good at finding the right people to go for, usually the screaming teenage girls... or screaming adult men in the case of some people we know. ;) I've had a few times when they press right up to my face, expecting to worry me, and I'll whisper something along the lines of "the girls at the back are real screamers mate." They are usually greatfull for the tip off. :p

I would have thought that if they see a kid that clearly isn't enjoying it, they will focus on someone else. In fact, I have sometimes seen mazes where a kid is so scared that the actors tone it down for the whole group, which can be a bit irritating for those who want a good scare.

Both ToTT and Sanctuary are pretty intense as scare mazes go. Unless a kid is really in to that stuff, I wouldn't recomend them.

I remember an actor coming right up to my face and screaming at me in the Sanctuary. I blankly looked at them, said "Sorry, not scared" and they went off and shouted "he's boring" and targeted some vulnerable women at the back of the line. :p

The scare actors are really good. They can work out pretty quickly who the screamers are and who are the tough ones, and if they see someone who is beginning to get upset they can slightly come out of character and reassure guests. I've seen that done once or twice with children.

I'd say both mazes are too intense for a 9 year old, both the scare zones will be far more pleasant. But if you did happen to go in there and it got unbearable for your daughter the staff know how to deal with kids that get a little too upset over the experience.

Cheers guys i think you've made my mind up about the mazes/zones and i'll probably pass on them! We went back in 2012 and she was petrified about even going into Hex. I guess she's 2 years older now but they sound pretty intense for an adult let alone a kiddy! At least i'll save some ££ having to not go in them!

What's to say that they haven't changed the storyline so another doctor, one which is equally as recognisable, has taken control.. been more crazier or obsessed than before and that they are a fantastic actor too?

Amazingly there's more than one 'good' actor in this world.

How many times is a remake or replacement better than an original? I'm not saying there are not likely to be other good actors out there, and no offense to Gerry but he's not the best actor I've ever come across given some people I call friends.

However, sometimes a role just fits a character, he made it his own, and even when you knew him to speak to out of character somehow when he stepped back into it, it almost became more like he was Dr. K.

Total fan boy, and not remotely apologetic for it - and that is testament to how right they got this first time. I doubt he will return, and I think it will be poorer for it, such is my respect for the fantastic job he performed in that role.

You want to call that respect and enjoyment fanboyism? Fine. Couldn't give a monkeys!

Just to add to the heap of sadness, Scary Tales is a name lifted straight from Universal's HHN, one of their most popular evolving maze 'brands' over the years.

This is absolutely the most abysmal line up for Scarefest ever. I said 2/3 years ago that Scarefest was slowly getting smaller and it is. Since the start they've always had 3 mazes and now we're down to 2 and for the first time ever, no free maze.

While scare zones are nice, they are not headline attractions at any halloween event, but rather 'fillers' and add to that the fact that Towers still don't understand how to actually do a scare zone. Zombies has never been anything like what you see in other parks around the world. Actually, the old Haunted Hollow Live was probably the closest thing to a real scare zone we ever had with free flowing traffic in both directions.

You can give up all hope on that elusive 4th maze happening too, it just doesn't make any logical sense that halloween events all over Europe and the UK are exploding in popularity and growing in size, yet towers for the last 7 years has been steadily getting smaller.

We should have had more mazes, refreshed mazes, and park wide shows and entertainment (heck, remember Fright Lights?). ToTT has been over due a revamp for 3 seasons, and I could probably live with The Sanctuary if the story would evolve - remember the days of Fo1kS and Boiler House where every year the story would change? Same mazes essentially, but they were kept fresh and then eventually retired after 3-4 seasons.

So, this is the 2nd year in a row where I won't be visiting Scarefest. Vote with your feet people, if you keep lining Merlin's pockets then this crap will continue.

i have read all of the posts about about the scarefest and i must say first one was 2008 and i didn't even know it was happening. i am going to by a merlin annual pass on the the 20th of september from the sea life in gweek though. i was going to by myself a premium and my wife a standard as i think i would only use the fee parking, can anyone see a problem with this? btw i prefer this forum to the other one. sorry if its in the wrong place too. by the other one i mean towers times. much more friendly here.

Just to add to the heap of sadness, Scary Tales is a name lifted straight from Universal's HHN, one of their most popular evolving maze 'brands' over the years.

Tbh, it is pretty generic to have 'evil' fairy tales, but since Thorpe are having the Director as an official character, it's clearly not just the Towers side of imagination that appears to have gone AWOL...

Tbh, it is pretty generic to have 'evil' fairy tales, but since Thorpe are having the Director as an official character, it's clearly not just the Towers side of imagination that appears to have gone AWOL...
It's a less generic idea than aslylum/hospital/sanctury/doctors/nurses/patients/physc wards ideas that Alton, Thorpe and other scare mazes use a lot.

But Universal did it (the Director) a couple of times before, so if we're going to moan at Towers for copying ideas Thorpe should also be moaned at...

But Universal did it (the Director) a couple of times before, so if we're going to moan at Towers for copying ideas Thorpe should also be moaned at...

I don't see Towers as copying ideas as much, I haven't seen Scary Tales done as a theme as much.

But yes, Thorpe teaming up with Lionsgate for horror movies is obviously very heavily influenced by HHN at Universal.

My guess is, with the construction going into where the coffin used to be in haunted hollow, that Scary Tales is going to use Haunted Hollow.

But yes, like everyone, it seems, I am disappointed why once again the event has been shrunk. I am starting to wonder if they didn't make that much on it last year. Does anyone know if profits were up or down last year on the year before?

But yes, like everyone, it seems, I am disappointed why once again the event has been shrunk. I am starting to wonder if they didn't make that much on it last year. Does anyone know if profits were up or down last year on the year before?

I don't think this should even matter to be honest, it's got to be turning a profit over, and Merlin certainly are - so they could make this the flagship event in their flagship park. Unless they are just so unbelievably dumb they don't realise it is?

The size of Scarefest is based "apparently" on the gate takings throughout the year. Now last year was the Smiler and the park was pretty busy so Scarefest should have been a good event. This year, again, people are visiting the park due to the Smiler, and if the past few weekends of extended opening are anything to go by, then the park should be doing well again this year.

Though i'm not 100% sure anymore that the park performance reflects the Scarefest event. Last years Scarefest (the dates I visited) was always pretty busy. Its become a very popular event - which is even the more mesmorising as to why they have made it smaller.

I really think its ridiculous. Everywhere within the park youre paying an ever increasing premium price for an ever inferior product. Speaking of which I wonder how much they dare increase the gate prices by this year.

Scarefest has become somewhat of an annual traditon for myself and my non-enthusiast friends. Coincidentally during conversation today the topic turned to arranging Scarefest this year. Upon telling them its all the same as we have done the past few years (in fact less now) we collectively decided not to go for the first time since the event started.

Hopefully many others will follow as it may give Merlin a kick up the backside. Or knowing them they'll cancel the event altogether.