• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2014

josht said:
Simple a gypsy walk through would actually scary everybody
You're pretty much guaranteed that at least one day of the event though, whether they want it or not :p

In all seriousness though, a 'dream' Scarefest for me would see a revamped ToTT, little changes here and there, actors going all out and a change to the final scene, as effective though it is, we've all seen the strobelit mesh fence maze now, and would like to see a new take on it.

Sanctuary, amazing though it is, will probably bow out at the end of this event, and we'll see something new take its place next year, hopefully every bit as good.

Duel live, Thirteen live and Hex live to come back better than ever, if at all possible - I know Pete didn't seem keen on this idea, but all three are crying out to have the Scarefest treatment, and I know a lot of enthusiasts would love to see it, coupled with the fact that they'd all serve as more family friendly attractions rather than the out and out terror of the three main mazes - certainly the improvements to Zombies this year did leave it rather less family friendly, and I saw some inconsolable children being led out of the other mazes.

Could easily do a Halloween version of the Pirate show as a start... Quite a common exercise in European parks really...

Elsewhere, perhaps expanding the roaming entertainment as well with the Park Keepers having a Halloween overlay as well, or perhaps revisiting the concept of actors in Haunted Hollow as well...

If anything, they need to spread out the event through the park, since this year it's in one corner and nowhere else it seems...

What I think the park really needs to do is to add enough to make it a more than once visit. They should aim for guests leaving the park saying, Ohh but we didn't have time to do Terror Of The Towers, we should come back next weekend.

The only way they can do that is to add more things. TOTT has proven that you can have the same maze for year after year. Why not have a 5 year life for them and add a new maze next year and 1 the year afterwards. Also have a 2nd scare zone. This years Zombie is a vast improvement. I think it needs moving to Forbidden Valley and a new scare zone placed where Zombie is, themed around Wraiths.

5 mazes + 2 Scare zones would mean that the average person wouldn't manage to do all of them. Towers has the space for them, how about one next to duel or one through the Air Car-park exit.

What I really don't want them to do, though, is to loose the quality of the mazes.

I'd quite like to see them add a under 13's scare maze, maybe in the Wobble World building, on the same intensity of Mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall.

I just feel that there isn't enough Halloween themed stuff for kids to do on the park.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

hambletwins said:
BarryZola said:
Hopefully in 2014 visitors will be able to have a stroll around the area of the Towers that the Sanctuary has taken over for the past couple of years. I know I'm in a minority and people really enjoy the Sanctuary but it's getting on my nerves now to be honest. Just thought I'd say it.

The Sanctuary is only in it's second year! It's gonna be round for at least another 2 years. Changes will be made the story but it's gonna be around the same sort of thing.I loved it last year and I don't see how it can get on your nerves at this stage haha.

The Sanctuary is unlikely to stay, according to what we heard at the presentation.

Sad to hear that the Sanctuary is due to leave. Of all the hallowen events I have done this year (including European and US events), the Sanctuary was by far my favourite maze.

I wasnt at the Towersstreet meet, so dont know what was said during the presentation, but for me Scarefest falls on three counts

1) Lighting generators

I was in Katanga Canyon last night and all I could hear was the sound of 3 lighting generators drowning out the area music whilst slowly filling my lungs with fumes. Not good at all and they are simply horrible. I understand the need why they are there, but cripes, cant they be moved somewhere else?

2) Lack of Hallowen theming around the park.

Other than odd pumpkins here and there, there really isnt anything outside of Towers Street and Fountain Square. Compare this to Six Flags New England or Canobie Park, where theming was inabundance.

3) Lack of creepy music

Going back to Katanga, why happy cheery normal area music. Its a Halloween event, lets spice things up a bit.

However, until Merlin offer up a decent budget, this event will suffer. Unfortunately, this is Merlin, where doing the minimum required is good enough. :(

How much would it cost for a few set pieces? How much to put some drapes and strobes on Mauraders Mayhem to turn it into a new experience?

Sadly we all know the answer.

HaydenCR said:
The Sanctuary is unlikely to stay, according to what we heard at the presentation.

WHAT???!!

That is a maze that can actually be worked on, improved, (I have not had chance to do it this Scarefest) - It's the most thrilling maze I have done, with the most immersion into a world. If they made the whole thing like the first room especially, which is brilliant, they really have a world class maze IMO.

Getting rid of it already would be just crackers! It has such a unique atmosphere, and a thread that is common and a character that you can identify with. Creating something from scratch and achieving that is rare.

Pete, for goodness sakes man, you have a diamond here polish it don't destroy it!

They might have a modern themed maze, but the idea of the sanctuary being pre-smiler now clearly doesn't work now the smiler is open. That's why the sanctuary as we know is unlikely to return.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Surely they'll bring Terror of the Towers back as the free, headline attraction next year. Today the park is nearly at capacity and it is still showing 0 minute queues. After a decade of free access, people are obviously thinking why would I pay for that now.

The Sanctuary seems less affected as many people would have visited early in the season when it was free, but the principle is still a stupid one.

Completely baffling approach - you really do wonder what fools make these decisions sometimes.

I can see why they made the decision in a way. TOTT and The Sanctuary are directly next to each other, so the decision may have been made so you have paid attractions in one place and the free attraction in another area. Rather than last year when you had paid and free attractions scattered around.

I think Towers probably hope(d) that the combo ticket will not affect TOTT becoming a paid attraction, as I would assume that combo tickets sell more than single ones. Although it's weird that it's showing as 0 minute queues today. With it being the afternoon now, if we were to assume most guests have bought combo tickets then the queues should be of similar lengths for both attractions. It seems not though, maybe people are keeping an eye on their money and just going for the single ticket for The Sanctuary?

If this is via ride times then it's all inaccurate. On opening weekend, the main TS tv was showing 0mins for rides which actually had up to 70min queues and showed the flume and congo as "open at 11am" and Sanctuary and TOTT as 0mins....despite it being 4pm.

To be fair, Ride Times was fairly accurate on Wednesday. It is only updated every half an hour, so it's never going to be spot on but it's usually correct +/- five or ten minutes.

James said:
Oh dear, is there any point of ride times existing then?! :p
Ride times is more accurate than not, however the board on towers street is updated about once a day it seems, so is hugely inaccurate.

Terror of the Towers popularity has been obliterated. Stand next to the ticket sales for a few minutes and overhear what people are buying/asking for. Most people are buying Sanctuary as a single, when they realise that TOTT is no longer free.

I can understand the thinking behind the move in the first place, but anything other than a U-turn for next year would be unforgivable. It's gone from being the prestigious centrepiece to a completely deserted joke.

As I won't be able to visit scarefest again this year there is a few things

Firstly really enjoyed the carnival personally it was the better maze out of the three
Secondly tott shouldn't be a paid maze
So it's been a steady year but needs to improved

Gosh if they had all the money in the world here's my dream Scarefest:

At least 4/5 scare mazes. Keep the ones we have now, revamp them then add a maze themed around Nemmy in Forbiden Valley and a Wraith Dark fotesty maze.

Another scare zone, possibly near the hotel. Themed around whatever the hotels scare room theme is that year.

Much heavier theming around the park, not just Towers Street then the odd pumpkin. This year all of Gloomy Woods theming was two pumpkins on the laser gun wielding zombie things tomb. (As far as I can see

Get rid of those bloody laser guns on duel and brink back Dual live and Hex live and put some roaming actors around Haunted hollow and the whole park in general

Spooky versions of the areas sound track in each area.

The pirate show and park keepers get special Halloween content.

If only they had the money *dreams*

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm asking a lot but for next year I'd like to see three brand new mazes. I do like TOTT but for me it's tired - when we visited this year and did the mazes our favourite was the free one - Carnival of Screams. The group I went with joined us in the paid mazes and we did all three after each other, timed to perfection with only a twenty minute queue for CoS, nothing for the other two! (And we were inside The Sanctuary for THAT storm - result!)

Alas after we left one member said that had they done the paid mazes before doing CoS they wouldn't of done it. I know it's a cost issue but I'd really like to see the field return, if we have to keep what we've got though do the psycho hospital theme, drop the Smiler tie in at the end, keep the high standard of the Carnival and make TOTT the greatest mazes ever constructed!