• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2014

It's great that they're trying hard this year, especially with on park atmosphere.

But the cut on a major attraction, and no changes on the existing ones, still is a big factor for me this year.

Even living only 5 minutes away, I still don't feel the incentive to visit. Which is, for me, a massive shame

Last edited:
I have no doubts that ents are doing the very best they can. It's just that the budget is nowhere near sufficient. I do have some sympathy for those who can't control what budget they get and have to work with what they have, it cannot be easy. I'm sure the creative team would have loved a fourth maze this year rather than only having two.

:)

To be fair, i'd rather have better lighting and smaller things around the park, such as the new additions to Haunted Hollow, than have another maze, but no atmosphere on park. Yes, it should have all these things, but, every business is cutting back so Alton have opted to cut back on the maze, but once again recreate the atmosphere, which I applaud them for doing. They could have cut back on the maze, and the lighting.

As for the mazes being the same as last year, do we know if they are the same or not. Someone mentioned ToTT was a lot longer this time, which would make sense as they can batch more groups through without them bumping into each other.

I know I do my fair share of Merlin bashing, but i'm really, really glad they are putting effort into the small touches and the lighting. These little things can make all the difference. Really looking forward to going up next weekend.

As for the mazes being the same as last year, do we know if they are the same or not. Someone mentioned ToTT was a lot longer this time, which would make sense as they can batch more groups through without them bumping into each other.

Those that were there last night have said that both TOTT and The Sanctuary were both pretty much idenical to last year.

:)

For those interested Snapchat updates confirm Extreme Maze ticket prices are £18pp, or for those with an annual pass it's £16pp.

Whilst it's not going to be what anyone wants to hear, mazes were not the main draw to Scarefest when they did market research. Dark riding was.

The little changes don't make up for the loss of a maze, but a review can't be balanced without mentioning the positives. Everyone who went last night has said the event is badly impacted by the loss of carnival and the stagnation of the mazes but to ignore the positives out of spite seems a bit churlish.

I won't be paying to go on the mazes as despite the great acting I have lost interest but I am heartened that there have been some little improvements.

Chatting to Pete you can tell they have tried to make as many improvements as they can. It's still a disappointment, it's still an event that is falling behind others. But it proves that the desire is there when hopefully one day the budget comes along too.

According to TPW Scary Tales soft opened today and is apparently quite scary and includes an indoor section. Sounds intriguing!

According to TPW Scary Tales soft opened today and is apparently quite scary and includes an indoor section. Sounds intriguing!

The indoor section is in fact an up charge area where they charge you £9 to get out. And for every person that doesn't pay, they remove a green halogen bulb!!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I noticed today that the mummified frogs on Towers Street have now been de-mummified, rendering them as the usual frogs we see every day. I hope the bandages come back for tomorrow. :)

For those interested Snapchat updates confirm Extreme Maze ticket prices are £18pp, or for those with an annual pass it's £16pp.
Is there any more information regarding the Extreme Mazes? I've looked everywhere but obviously missed it!

Is there any more information regarding the Extreme Mazes? I've looked everywhere but obviously missed it!

Someone else may be able to share more info. But the extreme maze experience takes place at 9pm. It's a longer experience than the mazes in the day and you sign a disclaimer beforehand that allows that actors to touch you, grab you etc.. Tickets can be bought from the Box Office on TowersStreet.

I'm not sure if they just do it for Sanctuary or TOTT, or both. They've done extreme maze experiences in the past though and a few people on here have done it.

I vaguely remember it being cheaper than this year. Is it just a first come first served basis at the box office with very limited tickets? Contemplating whether I'll be able to get one.

Yeah there are a limited number of tickets sold on a first come first serve basis.

I remember the prices for it being considerably cheaper last year too. £18 for it is pretty expensive. Even £16 with annual pass seems a pretty big hike from last year.

I vaguely remember it being cheaper than this year. Is it just a first come first served basis at the box office with very limited tickets? Contemplating whether I'll be able to get one.

That's what I did. Having done one, yes they're expensive, but I'd pay £16 as a MAP holder. The disclaimer made me laugh. Having done it though, I kind of understand why you need it :D

I love the extreme run through versions they can get REALLY intense.

That's what I did. Having done one, yes they're expensive, but I'd pay £16 as a MAP holder. The disclaimer made me laugh. Having done it though, I kind of understand why you need it :D

I love the extreme run through versions they can get REALLY intense.
Only ever done the regular version and love being scared so pretty desperate to try the extreme version! Got MAP as well so that helps :) think £18 would be a bit of a put off for the GP.