• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2015

The things is, the resort needs money for this event, not cuts. I think the event needs a big shake up. The scarefest identity is confused and if this is meant to be an event, then let's actually MAKE it an event which appeals to the whole family.

These ideas here are looking at if the resort got a big offering of money from Merlin (a la Fright Nights) and would also happen over a couple of seasons. Let's keep the scarefest image/brand and make it worthy of being called an all round family event.

The resort is dealing with three audiences: the very young, the easily scared/family and the fearless. But I feel they're playing it very safe at the moment.

The Young Audience:

• Cloud Cuckoo Land Makeover:

I think that Cloud Cuckoo Land (spilling over into FS) should be temporarily taken over by either the Scarefest Gang or a troupe of Wizards and Witches.

• The Wizards and Witches of Alton Training Academy:

Let's give them a wizard/witch training academy show and all sorts, perhaps even a certificate of acknowledgement that they are part of the International Magic Academy or something. Theme CCL and make the young feel they're just as an important part of the event as the older offerings.

• Scarefest Gang Takeover Fountain Square:

I think all of the Scarefest Gang's stuff in FS can remain relatively the same except a few tweaks. I would like to see a fun, free, resort wide, trick or treat activity including the gang too.

The Easily Scared/Family Audience:

I really feel there isn't enough on resort for this group at all. Scary Tales is adequate for them and I feel Zombies sometimes crosses over into the fearless audience. So really we have the Alton Ancestors, Scary Tales and Zombies before 7. But that really isn't much.As much as Pete (and some guests) hate it, I really want the return of Duel:Live. We're not talking Skelvin's Shit but the actual original.

• Atmosphere:

Park atmosphere still needs to continue to develop and grow - park wide music enhancements, lighting and signage all need to continue and/or develop. Let's get the lighting back to 2010!

• The Towers Light Show

It would be nice to bring frightlights back in some form too but perhaps this time in front of the towers?

So we could have a little mini-show where the Scarefest Gang come together ready to cast a spell over the castle and illuminate it for the evening. Yet, they can't decide on what would look best so begin to argue. As they continue to argue, an unwanted visitor turns up - the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury. Outraged at their pathetic ideas, he explains this is his decision and how annoyed he was at not being asked to contribute. So then he decides to transform the towers, with some projection mapping (maybe tying it up in chains to link into hex?) and other imagery before using black magic to illuminate the castle for the evening.

It could be small but give the event another offering and allow guests to truly enjoy the beauty and mystery of the towers illuminated at night.

• Hotels:

I would love to see the hotels return to the days when they used to really go all out and celebrate Halloween. Let's have some fun spooky shows and even a perhaps a resort exclusive attraction (bring back room 13), let's give guests a need to stay there and reason for wanting to visit the resort side to extend their celebration of the event.

I would love to see the event spread out over the resort instead of remaining clumped together.

Finally,

The Fearless

• TOTT
The What Lies Within storyline needs to go. The brand is so successful but I would love to see TOTT really being the gem in the crown once again. I think this storyline should be inspired by the history of the towers more and let's actually have a reason for visiting each room. The current explanation for each room and why we go through them is either non-existent or laughable. Monk Corridor? Banqueting Room? Vampires in the Basement? No thank you. I would like to see TOTT use some previously unused but easily incorporated routes too...especially below that banqueting hall (it's scary as!).

• Sanctuary
This really just needs a reboot into modern times. Let's do away with Kelman and the current era the sanctuary is in and give it an update, I would like it to become futuristic. I.E. "It's 2020 in Britain and all residents of the UK are now subjected to a compulsory appointment within The Sanctuary, a revolutionary facility that ensures crime is unheard of, health is in top condition and anger is replaced with a smile of joy." I think we need a reason to visit again. We need that mystery and suspicion back and I think setting it in the future will help in breaking and pushing some boundaries technologically. It will also creep people out if the storyline is so thought out and allows the GP to believe that this could actually be a possibility one day...would love it to also have elements of Experiment 10.

• New (free) Maze
We definitely need a third maze along side the other two mazes and the two scarezones. I want to see something different. I feel Sanctuary should deal with technology adventures, TOTT theatricality and this new one needs to play on something completely different. I would love a maze that really pushes people in terms of personal fears yet retains a few laughs and funny jumps. The other two mazes would really ramp the fear up as they are paid-for, yet this one needs to marry the scares, humour, trickery and fear decently and thus, allow the GP to be "eased in" to the idea of what a scare maze is.

So that's my two pence worth. Obviously, we're looking at all of this over a couple of seasons but I do think all of it would be possible if Merlin gave them something to work with.

Last edited:
Some of your ideas there gave me chills @Imagination!!!

I posted the videos about normal houses using projections screens and those face light character things, even @Ben with the simple but effective idea for Marauders etc - so easy to do those.

But your idea of sorcerers projecting the show onto the Towers. WOW. What a great idea!!

I did suggest about having a light/projection show onto the towers but never thought about having people in front creating it.

You could have that show once or twice a day, even just on the premium busier days, everyone would understand that as a developing event.

This is what I mean about let's move away from just "BOO!" some pumpkins and some green lights (however welcome they are).

Brilliant ideas, brilliant.

EDIT:
I would go against the Sanctuary idea though, I would like to see Dr Kelman remain, he's such a character, but he's separated away from MOJ and created his own "improved" experience. He's taken on some modern technologies as well as his "successful" previous methods and maintained the "core methods" of the original MOJ.

It could start off being more futuristic in style, more modern, but with a sinister behind the scenes side you get dragged in to. That no one is supposed to know about.

It can begin actually quite peaceful and calm in the actual maze, and actually create a gradual crescendo and lure people into a false sense of "this isn't very scary". Again, light and shade, to accentuate the scares.

Use a few clever technologies, a set piece or two like the start of Carnival used, that kind of thing - The Sanctuary for me is a great, great "brand" and has far from used up it's potential. It's the same maze even I admit in the current form just makes no sense.

Last edited:
Why thank you @TheMan I'm glad it inspired you and gave you shivers! Wasn't expecting that! :)

Ahh interesting! See, I think Kelman is a bit too relied on. It is meant to be old school so, personally for me, I think Kelman coming into the future would be a bit weird. The scripting within the Sanctuary is very good, but as the piece goes on, the scripting is put to one side because the idea of the Sanctuary is to start off calm (like you say) and to get more intense the further down you go (I just wish the scripting wasn't so lost). Think of the rooms used in sanctuary, they start of very open and airy yet the further you go, the more frantic and claustrophobic they become, to add to the frantic crescendo. I would definitely add a shrine or nod to Kelman but completely move The Sanctuary away from it's current form in order to make guests feel it's had a complete refresh. I actually think a part of the reason the Sanctuary hasn't aged well is because of Kelman.

All of the Sanctuary's scripting and materials are very rich and detailed and that's what ToTT needs to have in it's new storyline.

The shrine worked very well @Imagination in the extreme run through I did last year, the "living room" as it were became a shrine in that and everyone had to get down and bow to his image. I had met the guy by this point outside the maze and had a chat with him, yet in that situation it just made him focus on me more and he was brilliant in character.

I am very biased, I think his character works as well as Lord Of Darkness on Oblivion and was brilliantly cast. Whenever I have done the maze without his introduction it just seemed to have a different tone set. That's no disrespect to other brilliant actors, but it felt a bit like going round on Postman Pat with my daughter and hearing a different Pat voice, even she commented "maybe it's Postman Steve".

Some people for me just fit a role, I'd just love to see The Sanctuary now almost in competition with MOJ and The Smiler, and create a sub story - that's my preference though, and at that point it's questionable if it could be adequately relayed.

But yes, that idea especially of a show being controlled onto the Towers, I think would be incredible - it seems a bit daft to me not to use such a beautiful and imposing structure more than it is now in terms of it's facade.

This just shows though, there's so many things you could do with ToTT and The Sanctuary that to have them left the same was disappointing though we all understand why and I do think delivering a more park wide atmosphere in terms of investment for future events was a sensible route, regardless though, they shouldn't have been put in that position of such stark and unnecessary choices.

It did indeedy! That's why I'd love a element of that in the new form of the maze - very cult like and that's what I think The Sanctuary should really become.

He is brilliantly cast, although I disagreed with his handling of some clearly distressed members of the public, he was good and Gerry returned this year despite originally ruling it out. This is why I think with the new Sanctuary theme, Kelman needs to be absent in order for the maze to continue without the actor and progress.

Yes, I think not enough "fuss" is made over the lighting of an amazing piece of architecture. With some projection mapping and some lovely animation, the "Towers Light-up" could be made pretty cool and make guests feel they're getting much more for their money with more "free" things to do. Whack in the Earl in or even the Hag, Lord of Darkness, Dr Nicholas Rudgens and Th13teen's girl to give it a story and theme and let them make (dark) magic come to life.

Absolutely, but I think it isn't just Merlin's fault here. There's some laziness and lack of passion from higher Towers management who clearly aren't too fussed in fighting for and securing the very best for the resort.

Absolutely, but I think it isn't just Merlin's fault here. There's some laziness and lack of passion from higher Towers management who clearly aren't too fussed in fighting for and securing the very best for the resort.

We are never going to agree on Dr K. I'm a fanboy haha :D

But that last quote.... oooooh, controversial! This would suggest I need to tone down my Merlin disdain and redirect one's ire elsewhere! I am not sure my good forum friend that I am entirely comfortable with that notion. On the whole my opinion is stand up for Towers and chastise Merlin!! ;)

Perhaps they should step aside and let a feisty character, with a passion for the Towers, and reputation for being strongly opinionated and who would stand up against evil corporate giants to secure the best deal for Towers possible? Someone like... oh I dunno... any suggestions? *whistles*

With an empire as big as Merlin, and a park like Towers where there are unnecessary numbers of managers, you're bound to have managers and staff at Towers to blame for certain things, and be lazy with no passion for the place they work. That's a given in any workplace really. You have those who work to their fullest, are passionate, and go above and beyond to ensure the place they work thrives and customers are more than satisfied. Then you have those that just scrap the barrel with what they need/have to do, not caring much as long as they get the wage they signed up for.

It's easy for us to blame Merlin, they're the leader of course, who else can we blame? Although Merlin are at fault most of the time, due to refusing ideas, postponing ideas, cutting budgets at the last minute... it's far more complex than that, but that's the basic ground of it. People at Towers have been at fault with a few things too, even ents, which we all praise, have made some silly decisions in the past.

There are some very passionate people at Towers. It's just that difficult ground of having a mixture of people who cannot be arsed, and people who push and push for the best. Needless to say it's messy at Towers. But I can't say I know of many industries where everything is smooth perfect. In the theme park industry it seems to stand out more.

I agree @James but I feel now Chessington has had a huge management shake-up, along with Thorpe's recent changes over the past few years, both are running much better (bar Thorpe at this years FN) but the only one that seems to be stalling is Towers. Yes, there's some amazing, passionate, dedicated and great members of the team at Towers, but sadly they are heavily overshadowed by the ones in middle and upper management that, quite simply, don't care for the "good of the park" as much as they should.

I agree Entertainments have done some silly things in the past, but doesn't every department? Ents have learnt from previous errors/mistakes. However, as of late, too many things have gone wrong at Towers due to poor direction/management and this has been going on for too long. It's time the higher ranks suffered and not the lower positioned staff who have to pick up the pieces.

Anyway, I've strayed from the topic, but I do honestly feel more of a push from Towers is needed to help prove to Merlin they need the budget.

So. The shortlist so far for scarefest next year is:

Middle Managers being replaced.
Upper management being replaced.
Basically a complete top down reorganisation of park management and staff
A new ethos across the board about how to move the park forward, including paying more attention to the truly passionate members of the teams.
A relaxation of ridiculous budget restraints
Less focus on constant upsell and marketing lead decisions of what makes "real" immersion and entertainment.
And some more lighting.

KThnxTowers

I think we can easily pick at other departments for making mistakes. :p It's only human to make a mistake here or there. Although some decisions have worried me in the past.

Back on topic though, Towers really need more funding for Scarefest 2015. It's quite depressing how the event keeps going through cycles of being an awful year, a good year, an amazing year. I didn't visit Scarefest this year, despite being able to go, but I'm surprised people rated the event a little higher this season. It's just those two damn mazes being the same that seems to be the main drag at the moment.

At the very very very least we need to see TOTT with a whole new concept. The Sanctuary I'm not too bothered with, that can cope being the same for a little longer.

I'd rather see The Sanctuary removed to be honest. There's not much you can do with the concept in my eyes, any new idea is just a parody of the original really. Like that unnecessary thirdAlienfilm, it's the sequel that's not needed. I would rather see a new idea worked with.

to be honest all I want is the rides in the dark, never been to scarefest but defo goin in 2015, not planning on doing all the scare things just hitting all the big rides after dark!

Then with that you end up with a pointless event.

Scare mazes, scare zones and family scares are what drives the whole concept of Scarefest, without those it's just the theme park open till late, not an Halloween event.

But I think it is the rides in the dark which require coloured lighting and better positioned lighting as otherwise you aren't in the dark. Hopefully they will continue to improve the lighting and update the mazes for next year.

I like terror of the towers as it is, Its amazing , I think sanctuary could be better; there should be like those bouncy castle material balloon things that squish you before the marmalise chamber scene thing that would be cool , There was one in carnival of screams but it didn't return :(

According to the official site Scarefest will reach a brilliant 16 days in 2015, running 17th October - 1st November.

I'm hopeful this is accurate.

Erm this is fairly harsh, free country I pay my money can't I do with it as I please?
Harsh but true. If the majority just want rides in the dark (and research tells Towers/Merlin so) then there will not be as much money provided for scare attractions. It's just how Merlin work! Of course you can do what you want though.

:)

There are a few things I'd like to see happen next year for Scarefest, a re haul of TotT , probably a new story and a new route, and the scrapping of Sanctuary for one. Sanctuary is outdated, and either the story needs to change dramatically, or a new maze has to be put in completely.
I also think we need more roaming actors, I know they'd made a start with that this year, but I'd love to see more, and more constant actors. We need a 'maze' that is suitable for families, then at a certain time (say after 8pm) it becomes more intense, they add more actors and reduce the size of groups (Europa tried it this year...)
Park wide theming is important, and it was one of the things I noticed at other parks. At Europa we had a great laugh at the T Rex covered in pumpkins, and some angry looking corn on the cobs.
1510587_10152536669704092_8212997357982909227_n.jpg

It'd be great if on quieter days they could send groups of 2-4 in the mazes. I understand this might not work because of the throughputs of the mazes already being low, but it would improve guest experience.
I think Scary Tales makes a perfectly good scare zone, and I would keep that and have some sort of walk through attraction or two with zombies, possibly in an area that to get to the free maze you have to walk through. I wouldn't have Zombies as a stand alone scare zone as I just don't see the point.
Scarefest needs such a massive makeover, it will take years of dedication and funding to make it the event it should be, rather than the event they can currently afford to make it. Its quite a sad to be honest.