• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2018

The problem Im having with Sub this year is the actors just seam to be employed for people traffic management.
"You go this way"
"You go that way"
in the maze, turn a corner, come face to face with an actor and they just point you in another direction.

only once have I been manhandled but that was only to turn me around and send me off in another direction o_O

Started the day in Forbidden Valley and nemesis and galactica were pretty quiet for the first hour. Whereas the wicker man was already a 90 minute queue.

Just been on Project 42, can't say I understood the plot when the maze was just the usual walk through and jump scares. I enjoyed it though.

"What are your hopes for visitors to Project 42?
We want guests to feel like there is no escape and that they are immersed in a world of fear. They should be asking; why did I sign up to this? When will it end? And sigh a breath of relief once they exit the attraction but want to go around again because the adrenaline rushing through their system. If I can hear screams and gasps of horror when guests exit a maze I know we’ve done a good job!"

Wants to hear people scream and gasp as they exit the maze,. he must be very very very disappointed by now then :rolleyes:

https://backstage.merlinentertainme...ogInQvEH3NSsKkicpWkXhIWWaHHP1LF2fG0j4YFOlLBsw

Slightly off topic but the way he talks about not damaging the existing theming etc does imply that Sub-Terra may well come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been loads this season, it's not been that bad to be fair, got on everything most times

Good for you ;)

I said "Good Luck!" in the quoted post above as my response was to a question about doing the park in a specific order to minimise your queuing whilst visiting during the scarefest and fireworks. These won't be your usual off season quiet dates to visit on ;) The order of ride that that Chlowaa proposed was probably the order that most (not all) guest will be thinking of doing, as well if you post your intended plan of action on here, from my experience, people are like sheep, they will read this forum and then put that order of plan into action then making your plan of action unworkable ;)

The best plan of action is not to follow the crowed

I think the desire to have parkwide actors was good. But... they have not recruited anywhere near what they wanted. As such, it's a bit flat.

I'd imagine seeing how popular scare events have become across the country when it comes to recruiting seasonal actors for the event there's probably now quite a few that'll be offering more hours overall than Alton Towers.

Ended up watching the Freaky Funk Squad today, bit confused at who it was actually aimed at but I enjoyed it. Just felt at 20 minutes it was a bit short.

I will be honest.

Yesterday I only saw the following wandering entertainment during 12 hours:

- Galactica Airways (1 actor outside Galactica)
- Freak Squad/clowns (outside archway)

:(

Ahh the "Screamophere" as advertised on their website. What utter tosh. I didnt see any of these except Galactica airways (what the hell is that all about anyway) just waving at people. Not to mention seeing hardly any actors inside Sub Species.

This year was the weakest Scarefest for me ever, just seems to be going down hill that little bit more year on year.

And free scare zones are DEFINITELY needed. I dont understand why they dont re-open the zombie scarezone they used to have up by Woodcutters, was simple, in a good location, bit of fun.

The whole Screamosphere thing was a nice idea but like Dan says it just has not worked. They needed to have far more actors for it than they managed to get and the end result is a severe lack of Scarefest atmosphere around the park.

I agree that a scare zone needs to return next year; they can be loud with lots of lights lending themselves to creating an atmosphere.

:)

I think the desire to have parkwide actors was good. But... they have not recruited anywhere near what they wanted. As such, it's a bit flat.

Merlin needs to realise that they need to up the budget and pay the going rates, otherwise they will end up with these scare actors going elsewhere where the pay is better.

And free scare zones are DEFINITELY needed. I dont understand why they dont re-open the zombie scarezone they used to have up by Woodcutters, was simple, in a good location, bit of fun.

I fully agree, the scarezone by the woodcutters was brilliant. This needs to make a return.

Merlin needs to realise that they need to up the budget and pay the going rates, otherwise they will end up with these scare actors going elsewhere where the pay is better.

Is the pay better at other events such as Screamfest Burton or whatever it is that Twinlakes do? I actually have no idea myself but it would be interesting to know!

Or it could be a case of too much demand for this type of employment but not enough supply of staff.

Chances are it is a combination of many reasons.

Is the pay better at other events such as Screamfest Burton or whatever it is that Twinlakes do? I actually have no idea myself but it would be interesting to know!

TBH, I've no idea what the pay is for Alton or any other scare attractions. I'm only assuming in light of this years budget cuts. I know that Merlin are very picky in their selection, but if you want quality actors, then you need to pay decent money. I personally find it hard to believe that they are having trouble recruiting people. I should imagine that there will be plenty of people willing to volunteer to become a scare actor for free.