Scarefest 2018

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt.GC, 28th Oct 2017.

1. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Far more.

I would estimate anything between 20 and 30% is Fastrack, plus around 10 to 15% is RAP (disabled). I would think that on a busier day, around 45% of some rides' hourly capacity is for Fastrack/RAP.

The problem we have is that only 1 of Alton Towers' rollercoasters currently gets over 1000pph consistently.

2. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Smiler was 50% RAP & fastrack on Sunday afternoon. I'm fairly confident that figure has gone higher during fireworks.

I think there's a further issue this year - as there are no one-shots for Wicker Man and it's excluded from the bronze and silver packages, gold suddenly seems a much better deal than it used to. Previously silver has been enough for most people as many of the rides on gold have short queues or just aren't that appealing but now with 3 extra coasters (& rapids) compared with silver the extra £20 now seems worth it. The problem is some of the rides on gold are relatively low capacity - RMT and Spinball in particular, but this may also have contributed to the mammoth queues rapids has been getting this year.

TBH they could probably charge platinum prices for the gold tier and sell almost as many. People will pay literally anything to skip queues and Towers/Merlin should set prices accordingly. If wicker man gets added to silver then £25/50/75/125 would be my starting price point for bronze/silver/gold/platinum next year, with the Rita & Thirteen one shots increased to £8.

3. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Ah right. Thanks guys!

Out of interest, would the ride that consistently gets over 1000pph be either Nemesis or Oblivion?

DW_0505 likes this.
  4. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

I think they should introduce flexible pricing for fastrack like Universal do with Express pass.

Charge more on peak days such as Scarefest and Fireworks. Reduce the allocation on these days but still make the same amount of money. Queues move quicker for everyone, they seem to sell well at the moment so there must be scope to up the price.

DW_0505, DiogoJ42, Robert.W and 2 others like this.
  5. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

Straying off topic I realise but how can RAP be 15% when the percentage of the UK population with disabilities (physical or otherwise) is about 15%, but most of those are far beyond the age for large rollercoasters at a theme park to be appealing? 70% of the 15% of people with disabilities are aged over 50.

The answer; pretty much anybody can get an RAP, you just have to BS. The system is of course entirely appropriate for some people, and it is right that they shouldn't be made to queue, but it needs policing properly.

6. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    The problem is that people just need to turn up with a Dr, letter saying that they can't queue. Anyone can produce a fake Dr letter on the computer these days. Not only does it make it unfair for the non disable, but it really has a negative effect on those that are in real need of using the disable facilities.

DW_0505, DiogoJ42 and MakoMania like this.
  7. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    When is traveller day this year? Normally second weekend so the 14th???

8. Britford

Britford TowersStreet Member

I can't find the link now but I saw on TTF that it mentions the Freaky Funk Squad as the hotel entertainment!

I'm glad to see them making use of the Freaky 5 outside of the park but There doesn't seem to be any mention of Sir Algernon :(

DW_0505 likes this.
  9. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

No matter what day I choose for Scarefest, it is always traveller day. Have to admit, last year while there was the traditional ripping open of the toys spilling polystyrene balls everywhere (must be a ritual for the teenage lads to show how much of a man they are to the "let's see how much we can look like a fruit salad chewy sweet" girls - reference to their fake orange tan and pink tracksuits), I don't remember it being too bad.

RoyJess likes this.
  10. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Oh god. Please don't be that weekend. We have booked a short break for that weekend, which after our last visit, we are a bit unsure as to wether we will actually go ahead with it or just cancel. The prospect of those days also being the "traveller days" might just have put the nail in the Scarefest coffin... :(

DW_0505 and Joel3 like this.
  11. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    The annoying thing is ATR won’t tell me the date

12. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Even if they tell you, there's no guarantees it's right anyway. From what I've read on here the travellers seem to have been a bit more random in the last few years and ignored the date that ATR set aside for them.

DW_0505 likes this.
  13. Rosie

Rosie TowersStreet Member

Traveler days have been different the past few years! I think they've cottoned onto the fact AT pull in more security etc and so like to surprise them.

DW_0505 and RoyJess like this.
  14. NachoBob

NachoBob TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Th13teen
    I did every scare room they have ever done apart from the stay in the Towers.
    Scarefest to me was all about the anticipation of the scare rooms. They definitely need to bring them back.

DerpyQuark and DW_0505 like this.
  15. topman1585

topman1585 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    nemesis
    Finally somone who agrees. I would loved to have seen scare rooms make a return this year and i did even believe it was gonna happen at one point. Love your vids though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NachoBob and DW_0505 like this.
  16. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Agreed. Also I fail to see why RAP are always designated the back row on Nemesis. Can't even remember the last time I got to ride on the actual back row. Nowadays row 7 is the GP back row and row 8 is exclusively RAP.

17. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

RAP is back row as it is closest to the ground in the case of a lift hill evac.

DW_0505 and Alsty like this.
  18. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Understandable. But somehow never a problem at any other park anywhere else in the world where, even on first time rides, I'm usually able to go back row!

DiogoJ42 and DW_0505 like this.
  19. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    This is interesting... a scaffolding tag on the Project 42 site (aka N:ST) says well, Nemesis Sub-Terra.
    Could the park be keeping the name the same?

NachoBob, DW_0505 and topman1585 like this.
  20. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Why does that need a video? A simple picture would suffice.

Rob, b2311e, DW_0505 and 2 others like this.