• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2023

I'm glad that you liked AVMT. I'm assuming that the actors were on good form. It wasn't great when I went on opening weekend.

I was slightly worried at the beginning as there was a solid three scenes with NO actors at all and I thought this was going to be terrible, but after that it really picked up the pace.

One thing I will say about Altonville is that I think it's very cheap that they're marketing it as 'new' when around 80% of the maze is exactly the same and hasn't changed at all.

Went Sunday + Monday with my pops, and was kinda bummed we wound up booking for family friendly day again this year after getting hit by it last year too :( It didn't seem quite as bad this year on Sunday, but the atmosphere between the 2 days was so different. Monday was lovely and relaxed, but Sunday was pretty terrifying.

We'd just ordered food at Just Chicken when an alarm went off and security cleared everyone out. Waiting around to try and get the food we'd paid for massively ate into dark ride time. And once again, large groups pushed their way through the accessible queue lines and nothing was done about it. I can understand that staff might be told to just let them through to save causing incidents, but myself and several others had to leave the accessible queues more than once because of this behaviour as we felt unsafe and queue times were becoming similar to that of the normal queue lines. It got pretty silly at one point in the Wicker Man queue as massive family groups came off the ride and opened the door by bag reclaim to get straight back into the preshow room again.

Thankfully, we'd booked our maze package for Monday. We've been the last few years, and decided to give the mazes a go still.

We don't really mind The Invitation. I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea, but we do like most of what Darkfield do in general, and the overall experience was definitely somewhat improved as a whole this year. Especially since one of the actors was phenomenal!

The Attic was okay. As lovely as it looks in there, I am kind of a little bored of this one now. Nothing much unexpected happens. That's not to say the actors didn't do a good job because they did! It's just the scares are pretty much all the same as they have been before.

Darkest Depths was amusing as always, but I feel like it's been better in previous years, seemed a bit thin on actors in some sections when we went through.

For us Altonville Mines was the favourite this year! I actually prefer the old layout/version, but even still, it was a standout maze for us because of how much more intense it was in comparison to the others. We went to Fright Nights at Thorpe the previous weekend and did all the mazes there. Some people I know go on about how intense Survival Games is, but Altonville was definitely more intense than our Survival Games run was! The actors in Altonville were extremely hands on compared to the Survival Games ones, and genuinely intimidating with their use of space, especially towards the end. I'd go as far as to say the Altonville actors were the only ones that were genuinely scary.

Burial Grounds was brilliant too! Some of the masks worn on Sunday were a lot cooler than the ones on Monday, but the actors on both days were giving it their all when we went through! I especially appreciated some of the comments they made regarding my Smiler outfit. It's always more fun when actors go the extra mile to say something a bit different based on what you're wearing rather than going through the motions recycling the same lines. I just hope some of the guys in there don't get too cold!

And we didn't bother with the Daz Games Panic thing. Just the fact that it seemed to be tied to a YouTuber was enough to put us off. I did also look up some spoiler reviews just to find out more about what it actually was though, as the descriptions were a bit confusing. From there, we concluded it probably wouldn't be our cup of tea as we both prefer cool theming and proper scares. We're not a fan of escape room elements, and we don't have a competitive bone in our bodies. I can see the appeal for others, but it really seemed like it wasn't remotely for us. Even if it had been more appealing, I don't know if I could've brought myself to pay that much extra for it on top of the price of the other scare package.

Overall though, this was our favourite Scarefest so far! Adding Burial Grounds was a massive improvement, and it would be so cool to see more stuff like that. I'd especially love to see some roaming Smiler-themed stuff going on in the ride vicinity + a reason to actually visit the Forbidden Valley area of the park after dark. We have only been going for 3 years, so can't comment on how it compares to much older iterations.

Did the scare mazes for the first time at Alton Towers, done the Thorpe Park ones for the last few years. Didnt have much hope after reviews but TPW did say if you never done them before, do them as they are great so we did.

Invitation was quite good, suspense more than anything, not as bad as people say, finger sucking was definitely a bit weird tho.

Altonville mine tours was amazing, up there with Thorpe Park, we were so lucky it was just 2 of us going through and the actors were going crazy, grabing us and everything. Amazing experience.

Darkest depths was amazing themeing, some great jumpscares and smells, 6 of us in the group this time. Better than trailers easily at Thorpe Park.

The attic was the worse I thought, 8 of us in the group and wasn't scary, was too light I thought inside and could see the actors waiting for us and didn't seem like they were trying as hard compared to the other mazes. Maybe just a bad walkthrough.

Mine tours and darkest depths are up there with Thorpe parks mazes easily. I understand why some people are annoyed tho as they have been at Towers too long

It definitely does seem like they have ramped up AVMT over the past few days, considering recent reviews.

How’s it going Dazzlers!! Another year, another Scarefest, another random on TST stating their opinions for no one.

Panic
I was cold on this one from the offset. Without trying to blow smoke up Towers’ arse, this kind of collaboration seems beneath them, not the kind of thing I’d want or expect from Towers.

That being said, this is a strong attraction. It doesn’t start well - the pre-show is cringe-inducing stuff - but as soon as you’re thrown into the actual meat of the attraction this is excellent, chaotic fun. This gives me some of the same feelings that Sub Species used to give me, and it’s great to have an attraction like this in the lineup again.

I hope this returns, crossing my fingers for it to be Daz-less next year though.

Tiny’s Revenge
This being marketed as “New for 2023” is just as egregious as Sonic Spinball being “New for 2010”. This is a minor refresh that we would’ve seen happen yearly in the before times. What’s different is fun, but this should’ve happened years ago. I adored Mine Tours in 2016 and will always have a soft spot for it, but it’s got to go now.

Darkest Depths
Despite the appearance of a big skip during the run-up to Scarefest, this seems to be the attraction with the least change (Correct me if I’m wrong!) this year. It’s still beautifully themed but doesn’t quite have the same allure for me as it used to when it was based in the Courtyard. An incredibly energetic group of actors made my run through special though, wonderful stuff from them.

Attic
I love Attic. I think Towers excel at these more atmospheric mazes and believe that there should always be a “Terror of the Towers” in the lineup. Some very minor changes in here are welcome but a bit more of a refresh would’ve been appreciated. One thing I noticed is that this seemingly has the smallest cast of any of the mazes this year, this isn’t a knock against the actors in there who were all excellent, but a few more of them wouldn’t go amiss.

The Invitation
I quite liked this last year, but thought it needed something added to it to make it a more complete experience. About half of what I would’ve wanted has been added. The audio is unchanged and just as horny as ever, but the short live section at the end of this is enjoyable and goes some way in making this more complete. Much more entertaining than last year when the experience just kind of.. ended. The problem now is that this is an experience with a middle and an ending, but no beginning. You’re still thrown into the vampire stuff almost at random, some more lead-up to this would really help.

Despite continuing to enjoy this, I can see why it’s so divisive. If you’re going in expecting something more like the other mazes, this might not land for you. I don’t think this should be on the combination maze ticket; put the three mazes on a combo ticket, bundle this and Panic onto a separate “Experiences” ticket and then do a full package ticket for sickos like me.

Burial grounds
Oh baby, where have you been all my life? This is great stuff, a Wicker Man scare zone is such a no-brainer, but I love the little twist in this. The concept of The Unchosen is such a fun idea and I adore this gang of leather-clad Wickerpunks. I’m going to obsess in the same way that many do about the Ministry of Joy about these little freaks, they’re great.

This attraction demands to be experienced at night. Honestly, they should open this later in the evening because it is so clearly meant to be experienced under the cover of darkness.
God I’ve missed Scare Zones. If this is complemented by a second, less linear, more area-wide scare zone next year, I’d be very pleased.

-

All in all, 2023 is not the reinvention some were hoping for, but I doubt we’ll ever get a revamp on the scale of 2015 again. If all these mazes weren’t so long in the tooth this would be a stellar lineup. The quality of what’s on offer isn’t the issue, the staleness is.

I doubt we’ll see all three mazes go next year. If one has to, it’s got to be Mine Tours. I wish Mine Tours left a couple of years back so I could have fond memories of it, I'm just sick of it now.

I think Towers is on the cusp of having a really strong event, here’s hoping they can claw back some of the ground they’ve lost to Thorpe next year.

I really enjoyed reading this. Your opinion on The Attic matches mine.
How’s it going Dazzlers!! Another year, another Scarefest, another random on TST stating their opinions for no one.

Panic
I was cold on this one from the offset. Without trying to blow smoke up Towers’ arse, this kind of collaboration seems beneath them, not the kind of thing I’d want or expect from Towers.

That being said, this is a strong attraction. It doesn’t start well - the pre-show is cringe-inducing stuff - but as soon as you’re thrown into the actual meat of the attraction this is excellent, chaotic fun. This gives me some of the same feelings that Sub Species used to give me, and it’s great to have an attraction like this in the lineup again.

I hope this returns, crossing my fingers for it to be Daz-less next year though.

Tiny’s Revenge
This being marketed as “New for 2023” is just as egregious as Sonic Spinball being “New for 2010”. This is a minor refresh that we would’ve seen happen yearly in the before times. What’s different is fun, but this should’ve happened years ago. I adored Mine Tours in 2016 and will always have a soft spot for it, but it’s got to go now.

Darkest Depths
Despite the appearance of a big skip during the run-up to Scarefest, this seems to be the attraction with the least change (Correct me if I’m wrong!) this year. It’s still beautifully themed but doesn’t quite have the same allure for me as it used to when it was based in the Courtyard. An incredibly energetic group of actors made my run through special though, wonderful stuff from them.

Attic
I love Attic. I think Towers excel at these more atmospheric mazes and believe that there should always be a “Terror of the Towers” in the lineup. Some very minor changes in here are welcome but a bit more of a refresh would’ve been appreciated. One thing I noticed is that this seemingly has the smallest cast of any of the mazes this year, this isn’t a knock against the actors in there who were all excellent, but a few more of them wouldn’t go amiss.

The Invitation
I quite liked this last year, but thought it needed something added to it to make it a more complete experience. About half of what I would’ve wanted has been added. The audio is unchanged and just as horny as ever, but the short live section at the end of this is enjoyable and goes some way in making this more complete. Much more entertaining than last year when the experience just kind of.. ended. The problem now is that this is an experience with a middle and an ending, but no beginning. You’re still thrown into the vampire stuff almost at random, some more lead-up to this would really help.

Despite continuing to enjoy this, I can see why it’s so divisive. If you’re going in expecting something more like the other mazes, this might not land for you. I don’t think this should be on the combination maze ticket; put the three mazes on a combo ticket, bundle this and Panic onto a separate “Experiences” ticket and then do a full package ticket for sickos like me.

Burial grounds
Oh baby, where have you been all my life? This is great stuff, a Wicker Man scare zone is such a no-brainer, but I love the little twist in this. The concept of The Unchosen is such a fun idea and I adore this gang of leather-clad Wickerpunks. I’m going to obsess in the same way that many do about the Ministry of Joy about these little freaks, they’re great.

This attraction demands to be experienced at night. Honestly, they should open this later in the evening because it is so clearly meant to be experienced under the cover of darkness.
God I’ve missed Scare Zones. If this is complemented by a second, less linear, more area-wide scare zone next year, I’d be very pleased.

-

All in all, 2023 is not the reinvention some were hoping for, but I doubt we’ll ever get a revamp on the scale of 2015 again. If all these mazes weren’t so long in the tooth this would be a stellar lineup. The quality of what’s on offer isn’t the issue, the staleness is.

I doubt we’ll see all three mazes go next year. If one has to, it’s got to be Mine Tours. I wish Mine Tours left a couple of years back so I could have fond memories of it, I'm just sick of it now.

I think Towers is on the cusp of having a really strong event, here’s hoping they can claw back some of the ground they’ve lost to Thorpe next year.

Reactions: Max
Did Panic yesterday, but unfortunately found it too much. After an overly long preshow we went into the arena and I tried looking for my symbols, but after a few minutes it got too much for me and became sensory overload. The lighting was extremely intense, and I couldn't concentrate. I burst into tears and a couple of people saw and alerted an actor, who gently touched me for reassurance and led me to the exit. Once outside the exit host took me into the corner and radioed the attraction manager, who took me to a nearby bench and calmed me down. The idea and concept is good but it is very intense. Props to the staff and actor who were excellent.

Burial Grounds was good though, although there were less actors than expected.

Last edited:
Good on you for testing your limits and giving it a go. I do not have any kind of diagnosed neurodivergence, just a gammy knee, and it sounds too much for me! Also nice to hear that the staff had protocol.

Was also on park yesterday and had a great day. For me Scarefest is still the best overall Halloween event in the UK. I’ve done Tulleys etc but nothing compares to the nostalgia of scarefest for me!

Invitation is very meh. The headphone concept is alright but it was all very boring. The actors at the start have clearly made it their own and are doing great, the lift part was fun but it lacks a lot. It has potential but personally think the morgue/cemetery theme would be a cool maze idea in the Towers. Hopefully the last year of it

Darkest Depths is the same as it has been. Probably the best themed maze around in the UK but is getting stale now and hopefully this was the last year of it.

The Attic is always great for me, so theatrical and the way the story is told is great. Set pieces are awesome and it has some decent scares. Also echo that the ‘Terror of the Towers’ theme is something that should always be a staple at Scarefest. It’s such a visually impressive maze and can see why it’s stayed for so long. I’d like to see a return to the classic version next year though - maybe a mix of that and the morgue/cemetery type theme. Just needs a refresh also and a new route completely

Altonville was similar in terms of theming but a lot more intense. It is truly beautiful and the queue line is great. Personally I wasnt a huge fan on this version, the usual queue line song and the skin snatchers costumes being removed was strange but also kind of understandable. The gas mask theme doesn’t do it for me and was a bit repetitive. Think they should have got rid completely instead of doing it this way, as now no doubt it’ll have kept itself on the lineup for 1-2 more years with the ‘refresh’.

Daz Games was also excellent. Easily the most enjoyable scare attraction I have been in since Cabin in the Woods or Sub Species. What it lacks in theming, it definitely makes up for in enjoyability. The costumes were good and technology was clearly also good.

Again though it’s a good concept which could be even better. That style attraction in a Sub Species theme would be very cool. Also for the price it should be 10 mins + with more challenges to get your symbols.

Burial Grounds was also great but absolutely pointless opening in the day light.

Overall i’d say the event was the strongest it has been in a while. Hopefully getting closer to a more consistent return of lineups like the one we had in 2015. It lacks another 1/2 scare zones and 2/3 new mazes.

Did Daz Games Panic on Sunday 15th October and it was real good fun and truly terrifying in places too.
The scare actors were blindingly good using all of their abilities to put you off and misguide you.
I even had to shove one away from me he went in so hard but seemed ok as I was apologising while doing it lolz.
Great interaction, maze concept and lighting design.