• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2023

People have asked for something new and the park have delivered that this year, you can’t argue.

Yet when they deliver people still moan.

I agree it’s not at the levels it used to be. Their issue was they set the bar so high in 2015 and it just went downhill since. That year was the best it’s been and the best Halloween event merlin have put on imo.

People have asked for something new and the park have delivered that this year, you can’t argue.

I agree it’s not at the levels it used to be. Their issue was they set the bar so high in 2015 and it just went downhill since. That year was the best it’s been and the best Halloween event merlin have put on imo.
And look what happened in 2015 and 2020.

While I agree it's nice to see the park having something new, I don't think that removes the right for people to form their own opinion and criticise those additions - particularly after experiencing it for themselves. Sure it's nice to have a couple of new attractions, but if they're not good enough and if the rest of the event is so stale, then in my view that's justified criticism.

As has been pointed out before, it's the potential that appears to have been wasted over the years that's the most disappointing element of Scarefest. From a purely scare event point of view, so many other events are leaps and bounds ahead of them these days - the park's saving grace is having the dark ride element thrown in to make up for that. I agree with Dave that I hope this is the last of that staleness, and we see some real proper investment into what should be the UK's top scare event.

Back to this year, I'm looking forward to seeing what's changed myself when I'm likely to visit this coming weekend, so full thoughts from me coming after that!

And look what happened in 2015 and 2020.
I don't really understand what you mean here, but I think that we should disregard 2020 when talking about scarefest due to it unprecedented nature and the fact that many scare events suffered that year.

I don't really understand what you mean here, but I think that we should disregard 2020 when talking about scarefest due to it unprecedented nature and the fact that many scare events suffered that year.
Well, I'm sure it's no coincidence that 2015 is seen as peak, only then for it to decline afterwards because of the Smiler incident and dramatic loss of footfall and income to the park. Then, 2020 Covid hit and a similar thing happened. We'll obviously never know if Scarefest with no Smiler incident and Covid would be the best event in the country, but I find it very hard to believe that these 2 events haven't had an effect on the Scarefest we've seen these last couple of years.

All we can hope for is that we are at the turning point for this event now that we have a broadly new management team in place at Towers. As has been said before, any changes they want to bring in will take time so here's hoping we'll see some bigger changes/more investment next year.

Back to this year, I'm looking forward to seeing what's changed myself when I'm likely to visit this coming weekend, so full thoughts from me coming after that!

You might already know but I believe it may be “Family Friendly” this weekend coming given it didn’t happen the weekend just gone.

Well, I'm sure it's no coincidence that 2015 is seen as peak, only then for it to decline afterwards because of the Smiler incident and dramatic loss of footfall and income to the park. Then, 2020 Covid hit and a similar thing happened. We'll obviously never know if Scarefest with no Smiler incident and Covid would be the best event in the country, but I find it very hard to believe that these 2 events haven't had an effect on the Scarefest we've seen these last couple of years.

All we can hope for is that we are at the turning point for this event now that we have a broadly new management team in place at Towers. As has been said before, any changes they want to bring in will take time so here's hoping we'll see some bigger changes/more investment next year.
I think that scarefest has been declining more recently than you think. From 2015-2019 they were adding at least 1 new maze every year apart from 2016/19 where they added a family maze as well. The introduction of The Attic and Darkest Depths in 2019 should of ushed in a new era a iconic mazes but Covid paused that process. 2020 was the start of the decline when they had to scramble to create a Covid safe maze (Toxic Junkyard). They then panicked and created 2021 and 2022 (probably the worst years of the event so far). 2023 feels like a transitional period where they have calmed down and tried to make an effort. Panic and Burial grounds are both getting good reviews from the public. The Attic and Darkest Depths whilst long standing, are both really good mazes. Altonville has been revamped with mixed reviews and The Invitation exists. I think the age of decline is slowly stopping and the future is looking flickeringly bright.

I think that scarefest has been declining more recently than you think. From 2015-2019 they were adding at least 1 new maze every year apart from 2016/19 where they added a family maze as well. The introduction of The Attic and Darkest Depths in 2019 should of ushed in a new era a iconic mazes but Covid paused that process. 2020 was the start of the decline when they had to scramble to create a Covid safe maze (Toxic Junkyard). They then panicked and created 2021 and 2022 (probably the worst years of the event so far). 2023 feels like a transitional period where they have calmed down and tried to make an effort. Panic and Burial grounds are both getting good reviews from the public. The Attic and Darkest Depths whilst long standing, are both really good mazes. Altonville has been revamped with mixed reviews and The Invitation exists. I think the age of decline is slowly stopping and the future is looking flickeringly bright.
This is true. Lack of investment in Scarefest is disappointing of course, but from an operational point of view it made sense for the past 2-3 years.

I’m also very confident that next year we’ll see an even further refresh

What, in your opinions, needs to happen to create a solid Scarefest?
A return to the traditional scare mazes that are unique in their themes and storytelling (Think The sanctuary, The Welcoming and The Field), not gimmicks like The Invitation. A return of mazes that push the boundaries, like subspecies did in 2015. The introduction of parkwide lighting and theming, this includes scare zones scattered around the park and scare mazes located around the park not just around the towers. Those changes might make the park feel fuller and more involved with the celebrations.

Hi guys, I don't post much but I thought I'd share my thoughts on this year's Scarefest, I've been doing it annually for a long while now so I have some past experience to compare to.

The Attic is back for another year and sees little changes, to be fair it is a well-designed maze and the story is effective yet at times it feels like the story-telling is affecting the scare potential. A lot of the actors were jumping out of the same areas each time (I went through twice) and then shouting a small script of lines to the rest of the group. This was great for people at the front since they received the jumpscare but often for the rest of the group it felt more like a dramatic play rather than a scare maze.
Pros: There were a few new decorations, the ending has been slightly extended, the actors were trying their best, the pre-show (as always) is fantastic and there are tons of special FX points throughout.
Cons: There are multiple 'dead' areas (no music/actors), there is a large difference in experience depending on where you are in the group & it is getting pretty stale 5 years since opening.
Rating: 6/10

Darkest Depths remains almost exactly as it was but always hits the spot with its theming and storyline. It seems to have more longevity and repeatability in comparison to The Attic, although I do think it should not be part of the Combi ticket and instead marketed as a 12+ single maze. The decorational aspect of this attraction is simply stunning, notably the two-story ending section.
Pros: Arguably the best-themed scare attraction they have ever created, soundtrack is fantastic, large amount of actors & special FX (smells especially).
Cons: Second half of maze (post-sinking) was quite short, attraction is often not as scary as others in the Combi ticket, some of the screen/projection effects looked gimmicky, no longer any sand/as much water in contrast to previous years, is getting a bit stale.
Rating: 7/10

It was interesting finding out the amount of changes between AMT and this 'brand new' version. The queue had some new elements, including TVs, but at times it felt quite like modern-80s mixed with run-down Western America mixed with police investigation zone; the theme wasn't so clear. The introduction of the attraction has changed and quite a few scenes inside have also been altered (some objects have been moved to increase length), as well as the characters inside being changed; including high-school students being tortured (felt very Texas Chainsaw inspired) and many people in gas masks, (of which one had a chainsaw). Sure, as always with AMT, it was fun, but it still felt like the old version just with a few changes, and these changes felt quite last-minute in the sense that they didn't always feel very fitting or contextual.
Pros: The set of ATM is always effective & claustrophobic, felt a bit longer than previous years, actor hiding spots are often unseen and unexpected, chainsaw ending is a classic and always works.
Cons: The re-use of mostly the same set for 8 years is getting stale, the theme/story was messy and unclear, the amount of actors felt very sparse towards the end.

This attraction used the same storyline as last year and my group didn't even bother using our second ticket for it. It is a depressingly low-quality attraction that feels gimmickey and unnecessary; I really hope they don't begin a trend of these 'audio-led' attractions as they are not worth the money.
Pros: Good quality headphones
Cons: Everything else
Rating: 1/10

This attraction was unique in the manner that it almost forced you to split up in order to escape the maze. I liked the rashness of it all; I feel it's good to have one attraction this is so 'hands-on' in the lineup (as Sub Species was before), but the pre-show was VERY long and the budget did seem rather low with the theming. However, that doesn't change that this was one of the few attractions that felt more focused on the scare aspect rather than the story, and if there was a maze that combined the intensity of this with a solid story, it would be a winner. Sadly, that winner maze is not present in this year's line-up.
Pros: Strong base idea, forces groups to split-up, costumes were effective, 'game' aspect was interactive and interesting, probably the most universally scary attraction in the line-up this year.
Cons: YouTuber theme was strange, outside appearance was odd, preshow was way too long, theming was almost non-existent inside.

Who would have expected the free scare zone to be the best attraction this year? This was scary, well-themed, well-located, creepy and most-shockingly - free!! The actors here were determined to scare and the theming felt very realistic (especially some of the animal props). The story was told through the decoration, location voicelines and costume; it didn't feel too forced but still enhanced the attraction. This was the only attraction that felt like the oldies; it could have had the same effectiveness of TOTT, The Sanctuary etc. if not for the scares, length and budget being extensively lessened.
Pros: FREE, theming was effective, there were no gimmicks, acting was great, location next to WM added atmosphere and just felt simple but good (in a way most attractions nowadays at Alton don't)
Cons: Could be perceived as quite short to some, less effective in the day
Rating: 8/10

Overall, the line-up was quite disappointing but parts of each attraction did show Alton can still get it right; things just desperately need to be shaken up right now. Also the ticketing feels weird with Darkest Depths in the Combi; it made more sense when there were 3 or 4 hardcore mazes in the Combi ticket and one less intense maze as a separate attraction that could appeal to families. I saw a lot of families trying to attempt Daz Games but young adolescents were running out crying; there is nothing accessible for young teenagers inbetween Trick or Treat Town and the full-on Combi ticket.

Overall Event Rating: 5/10

Would be good if towers did go back to their roots with Scarefest but let’s face it, the mazes of the past were high quality low capacity, and that’s been switched around now to get as many people through the doors as possible. As a business, who can blame them.

And Field is not possible anymore given the field is now home to Enchanted village.

All is not lost though, you have an amazing gothic mansion in which to host these mazes, what other theme park can boast that!

I’d love to see the reincarnation of some odd the older mazes, The Sanctuary could return, the Boiler House, and jets not forget how simple but jumpy Hex Live and Duel Live were. It’s great to see the free scare maze back and I hope that continues, that’s a massive positive step.

Haunted Hollow is crying out to be used again as a walk though attraction and in sure something could be done to tie in with the Curse at Alton manor.

I’ve not been yet this year but the message from all over the socials seems consistent in that the existing mazes need to be retired and something new is needed next year.

I’d like to see Terror of the Towers return next year. Absolutely miss that maze. The queue line and briefing room music, the smells and the incredible gothic atmosphere and set design. It’s pure Scarefest nostalgia for me.

They missed a trick not bringing back The Sanctuary this year for The Smilers 10 year anniversary imo

I'm of the opposite line of thinking. We shouldn't be getting the same themes regurgitated - regardless of their standing amongst some enthusiasts. The Sanctuary was an introduction to a ride that's a decade old and had run its course, Terror of The Towers was absolutely done to death by the time it went. Mazes should be lasting 2-3 years max, and even then we should be seeing some moderate changes year on year. The park should then be rotating a new maze in year on year, or at the very least seeing expansion as time goes on.

You could almost get away with a longer period of time when some of the mazes were free, but people are now paying a heck of a lot of money to do these attractions and in my view we should be seeing more changes than what we're seeing.

On the positive side, a return of a scare zone is a huge plus, and I'm glad to see it getting some decent reviews. I just hope that there's some proper money forked out in the coming years to really build this event to what it really should be. As GaryH pointed out, we'll never see the likes of the hotel Scarefest event again, but I'd like to see more effort into capturing the sort of atmosphere that you see at independent scare events. I've repeated it again and again, but I really want to see Fountain Square utilised as a proper hub once darkness falls for entertainment, food and a bit more of a "grown up" scary atmosphere vs the family stuff going on on the lawns.

It’s going to take years to get the event up to scratch, everything has been left to stagnate and it would take a colossal budget to fix everything in one go. I can see guest feedback leading to an additional scarezone next year, and a replacement to Invitation. Panic will probably get a new theme but keep the tech that has been developed.

Burial Grounds I can’t see them going to the effort to remove it as the path otherwise goes unused, so I’m sure some elements will sit there after the event is over

Is there still a maze set up thats not used in the towers somewhere? If so where and where was the entrance..

It’s going to take years to get the event up to scratch, everything has been left to stagnate and it would take a colossal budget to fix everything in one go. I can see guest feedback leading to an additional scarezone next year, and a replacement to Invitation. Panic will probably get a new theme but keep the tech that has been developed.

Burial Grounds I can’t see them going to the effort to remove it as the path otherwise goes unused, so I’m sure some elements will sit there after the event is over
I've heard rumours that The Invitation is on a 3yr contract so is likely to be around next year too unfortunately. You'd like to think there would be a get-out clause in it though if it was poorly received but I guess ticket sales said different...

I think next year trailers won’t return at thorpe as they seem to have a new maze each year which replaces the oldest one, that would mean next year it is trailers time to go. I wish towers would do the same

I think next year trailers won’t return at thorpe as they seem to have a new maze each year which replaces the oldest one, that would mean next year it is trailers time to go. I wish towers would do the same
Long time returning mazes are not the problem. Xtreme Scream Park at Twinlakes (The best Halloween event in the UK imo) has had the same mazes for 6yrs+ ( Some 10yr+) and yet still feel fresh and exciting. That's because every year they change scenes and effects within the mazes each year to make it feel fresh. The Pie factory has been there since 2012 and is yet still one of their scariest mazes. Alton towers just need to pay attention to their existing mazes as well as the new ones.