• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarred for life

- My town was bombed in the early 90s while I was curled up on the sofa watching Beauty and the Beast. It happened when she was first wandering up to the Beasts tower/quarters/room/whatever and some of our windows ended up blown out, so that was a fun...if unexpected 4D experience.
No idea how old you are, but got to be honest, I don't understand the Blair Witch thing at all.

And then you casually go on to say you got bombed whilst watching Beauty and The Beast!

Jesus Christ! That must have been bloody awful for a kid, and great respect to you for sharing. Please tell us more? How on earth did you manage to get bombed? That really is the definition of Scarred for Life.

I would assume it would have been courtesy of our friends from the emerald isle? I narrowly avoided a couple of IRA bombs myself back in the 90's. (As in, the only reason I wasn't in that pub that night was because no one was available to go out with).

I was once on the underground when a bomb threat at the station caused about an hour delay. Back them they even announced it was a bomb threat. Talk about not causing a stir.

Most haunted live............ Ghostwatch was more realistic. Even parky possession was better acted than Yvette could ever hope for.

Ghostwatch, now that was some piece of television! I remember going in to school the day after it was shown and I couldn’t wait ask my friends if they had seen it and talk about it.

Sadly though it was a bit too effective for some people, an eighteen year old guy with learning disabilities sadly took his life after watching it and thinking that the knocking sound of his radiators at home was the sound of a ghost similar to “Mr Pipes” in the program.

And then you casually go on to say you got bombed whilst watching Beauty and The Beast!

Jesus Christ! That must have been bloody awful for a kid, and great respect to you for sharing. Please tell us more? How on earth did you manage to get bombed? That really is the definition of Scarred for Life.
Former Yugoslavia maybe? Random guess.

The trouble with Ghostwatch (for me) was, I grew up in the suburb it was set in, Northolt. So I instantly knew it was fake, even as a youngling.
Granted, if not for that I probably would have bought it.

Ghostwatch, now that was some piece of television! I remember going in to school the day after it was shown and I couldn’t wait ask my friends if they had seen it and talk about it.

Sadly though it was a bit too effective for some people, an eighteen year old guy with learning disabilities sadly took his life after watching it and thinking that the knocking sound of his radiators at home was the sound of a ghost similar to “Mr Pipes” in the program.

That incident changed TV. Broadcasters realised they had a duty of care when broadcasting shows like ghostwatch. They decided to not bother. Because of this, it was never repeated.

I was listening to the podcast scarred for life the other day. One of the presenters was due to speak on BBC sheffield about the programme 30 years on. The bbcs lawyers pulled the interview.

I remember visiting The Pork Shop Poulton near Blackpool years ago.

They say that nothing slaps you in the face quite like a taste of...
images.jpg
Reading between the lines, the innuendos, while hilarious are mentally scarring and will never leave me.

In seriousness though, does anyone remember the TV show Strange But True? It aired between 1993 and 1997 I think, as a young kid, some of those episodes stick in my mind vividly. I am sure they covered the Enfield poltergeist in one of the episodes, that one sticks out among the rest as outright traumatizing in some aspects. Along side a few of the Alien ones.

Also, the scene from My Little Toaster where the AC unit has a mental breakdown and essentially commits suicide. That was quite scarring as a young child.

Jungle Doom melting in Who Framed Rodger Rabbit is also firmly in the memory.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember an absolutely terrifying old cartoon called Bottles about a pharmacist that falls asleep and gets nightmarishly tormented by his items such as skull and crossbones poison bottle and snipping scissors? It was one of MGM’s Happy Harmonies shorts from 1936 and was regularly shown on TV in the 80’s. This scared the crap out of me as a kid.

I love his 'Tales of the Unexpected' TV show.
Wanna know something scary?

There was an episode of that based around a scientist connecting sensors to trees that let you hear them "scream" when you cut them down...

A certain DJ friend of mine is in to weird audio art. He once demonstrated to me in person that if you connect ECG sensors to any plant, and run the results through MIDI and some software, you actually can hear plants.

We watered the plant. It made soft cooing sounds.
We plucked a leaf. It made a sharp scream.
😲

Sorry vegans.

Last edited:
Wanna know something scary?

There was an episode of that based around a scientist connecting sensors to trees that let you hear them "scream" when you cut them down...

A certain DJ friend of mine is in to weird audio art. He once demonstrated to me in person that if you connect ECG sensors to any plant, and run the results through MIDI and some software, you actually can hear plants.

We watered the plant. It made soft cooing sounds.
We plucked leaf. It made a sharp scream.
😲

Sorry vegans.
Yeah, I remember watching that episode :)

Jimmy Saville. I think he scared a whole nation. The tinted glasses, shell suit and stringy white hair that would appear through a thick fog of cigar smoke, was enough to traumatise anyone on it's own merits, that's before you consider his atrocious crimes.