SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Danny, 8th Aug 2012.

1. Danny

Danny TPWW's no.1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    An incredibly beautiful park which in my eyes, is the most underrated of the Floridian lot. It's also home to my most beloved ride in the world ;)

This year, Sea World welcomed a brand new 360 3D attraction, Turtle Trek. Next year, the park is set to open Antarctica: Empire Of The Penguin. So without further ado, let's take a look at the progress so far on the latest attraction to Sea World's lineup set to open in Spring of 2013:

[PICTURE HEAVY]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and what would a construction update be without a QR code? ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another recent addition to the Sea World lineup is the Dine With Shamu experience:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/PICTURE HEAVY]

MakoMania likes this.
    Posted 8th Aug 2012
  2. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    A few new pictures courtesy of Theme Parks - US which show how construction has come along:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted 16th Oct 2012
  3. mark9

mark9 TowersStreet Member

I really like Manta and Kraken but the fact that the operations are so poor really puts a dent in the day. I don't particularly like being stuck on Manta's break run for 3-5 minutes while they load the other train and any park that stacks Kraken on the break run when its on one train needs shooting.

Love their Sealion and otter show though, thats a good laugh.

Posted 16th Oct 2012
  4. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    That's odd. During every single time I was on park over summer, I didn't once experience being stuck on any of the rides or any prolonged delays, other than having to ride Kraken a few times whilst I waited for Journey to Atlantis to be fixed after it broke down.

Much better than Thorpe Park for dealing with rides breaking down anyway. :p

Posted 16th Oct 2012
  5. mark9

mark9 TowersStreet Member

It's not a race to the bottom you know. ;)

Posted 16th Oct 2012
  6. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Operations at Seaworld are a joke. Back in August 2010, Manta was ridiculous. The guys from Air could teach them a thing or two.

Posted 16th Oct 2012
  7. Danny

Danny TPWW's no.1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I have to agree with Dan, Manta was terrible on my visits in 2010. Even with no queues, the ride ops still managed to make a cock up of things. And not to mention down time was quite the issue also.

I also find it interesting how Sea World have a policy where they don't operate Manta and Kraken if the temperature is below a certain rate [I can't quite remember the exact temperature, but if they were located here in the UK, they'd never open :p]

Posted 16th Oct 2012
  8. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Here's an article from Theme Park Insider on how SeaWorld operate their rides during cold weather:

So it's quite rare, actually. Coasters shut there frequently when there's lightning within 4 or 5 miles as we asked a few members of staff whilst we were in Aquatica as bad weather was coming across to the parks and we spotted the rides close a couple of times and reopen with nobody on the trains. They will also get you out of the pools as well. :p

But anyway, there was an old guy operating Manta whilst we were there and he was letting rows go with just two people in them instead of asking anyone in the queue if they were in a two, or grouping two lots together, etc... But Kraken was a different story and the three ride operators were pretty damn quick at rolling trains out. There was hardly ever a queue over 15 minutes at peak times but every train was packed.

:)

Posted 16th Oct 2012
  9. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    My primary memory of SeaWorld is emerging from one of Atlantis' tunnels, feeling water coming onto me then quickly realising that it had begun pouring down with rain whilst we were inside. Then after getting off the ride, running to take cover in the toilets opposite for about an hour. That was at about 3pm - none of the rides reopened afterwards. :(

Posted 17th Oct 2012
  10. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

When I was at the park last Tuesday operations where good on all the rides overall. The rides wrent overly busy but kraken still running two trains and although manta was only running two trains they did use both sides of the station until queue dropped to around 5 mins (they then went to one station with two trains)

However still not as good as Alton towers! Although cant remember if they had it back in 2010 but their is a single rider line on manta and where using it to trains. I know some on here don't like Manta, but I think it's great and much better than air, their is plenty of force in the pretzel loop but I don't find it uncomfortable. I really like kraken as well.

The new dome 3d show "turtle trek" is fantastic and the use of 3D in the dome theatre works well especially with the theme of the show., sealife inc turtles look like they re actually swimming through the middle of the room. Hopefully more parks install these theatres over the traditional 4d that every park seems to have these days.

11. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    When we went, Turtle Trek was quite busy and the queue past the manatees and turtles was very loud with people talking. We could hardly hear the poor young member of staff trying to talk about the creatures next to us.

The night time fireworks and riding Kraken and Manta in the darkness were they highlights.

12. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Haha, another double post, but I promise it's for a good reason! :p

From Screamscape:
    I've always loved the idea of a ride having different experiences based on what the riders choose. It'd be interesting to see if that will indeed be the case for Sea World's next attraction.

13. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Hungry Dolphin! :p

Dolphin bite at SeaWorld

I love how the child's parents want to film her injury at the end, even though she doesn't want them to do so and they tell her they don't want to show anyone....

CNN article:

Anyway, Orlando United has some photos of the 2013 attraction for us!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted 3rd Dec 2012
  14. thefatone

thefatone TowersStreet Member

I enjoy people of that nature. Their stupidity winds me up.

However I don't enjoy those photos ;)

Posted 3rd Dec 2012
  15. Adam James

Adam James TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Blue Fire
    Out of curiosity what is the Antarctica area replacing? Was it just spare land or a few amenities?

Posted 3rd Dec 2012
  16. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    According to this website, Antarctica: 'Empire of the Penguin' is replacing 'Penguin Encounter':
    Anyway, another photo update from Orlando Theme Park News of the 2013 attraction can be viewed here.

17. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    A new update on 'Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins' construction progress can be found here at Florida Thrills Network. Here are a few of the best images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also a few other images of other attractions being fixed-up on there as well. :)

18. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Blackstone in talks with two big companies about possible Sea World parks buyout, according to Reuters:

19. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I like Six Flags, but if they were to buy SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment I dread to think how they would start running the SeaWorld parks. Six Flags Busch Gardens Williamsburg? No thank you!

20. EuroSatch

EuroSatch TowersStreet Member

Bizarre, as last month they were making steps to float Sea World Entertainments on the stock market