• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

Finally some good news about a Sea World park! :p Screamscape have been infored by one of their readers about big 2014 Aquatica expansion plans in the works:

db_2014_AquaticaExpansion11.jpg

The expansion involves building a new water slide between the wave pool and Omaka Rocka, expansion and modification of the parking area, a new staff access road, new exit road and the setting up of making more land owned by Sea World available for expanding the park into in the years to come.

The first new slide is supposedly a tornado wave style slide that ends with a lazy river section. Two slides are connected to the queue tower to allow for greater throughput. Riders may also pass through new animal exhibits and / or through aquariums during the lazy river section of the ride.

Finally, Sea World have filed the name “Taruka Rush”, so this may be for this attraction.

Anyway, there are a couple more images to view on Screamscape, so don't forget to check those out too!

This concerns all SeaWorld parks (Busch too) but I'll post it in here for now:

A couple more interesting notes regarding the forced labor-hour cuts at SeaWorld Parks have come in. It seems my suspicions were on target, as an insider did confirm today that Seasonal status workers are allowed to work up to 52 hours per week during the six-month time period they are employed by the company, in sharp contrast to the measly 28 hours a week that part-time staff will be capped at starting in November.
Another item of note that came in from a reader is that currently part-time staff who qualified and opted to pay for their own health insurance plans through the company are being informed this week that their current health care plans will soon be canceled entirely with no replacement options being offered.
From Screamscape.

One of SeaWorld Orlando's two polar bears has died. There's an article here about it.:(

Screamscape said:
Park News - (12/3/13) SeaWorld’s Shamu / Killer Whale show will be closed for about 3 months starting in early January 2014 and reopen sometime in early April 2014 in order to perform an extensive rehab on the main show pool that will include repainting the entire surface as well as replacing the extremely thick sections of plexiglass that surround the outside area near the lower show seats.
The suspension will also see the park’s Dine With Shamu restaurant closed as well for the same time period in order to reuse the space as “Shamu Up Close”, where guests will see a presentation about whale interaction and training methods.

Urgh. Cruel, tacky and dangerous these killer whale shows are. Just get rid of them and actually build some decent rides to draw the crowds, rather than relying on animal cruelty.

Some potentially exciting and much needed news for SeaWorld, just come across this over on CoasterForce:
Intricks on CF said:
Supposedly, SeaWorld Orlando may be the next park to recieve either a B&M Hyper or Giga coaster here in the states.

This rumor has come from a handful of noted insiders on the Orlando United and WDWMagic forums and is said to load over by Shark Encounted and go near Kraken following the road back there.

What do you think? Could this be the beginning of a rebrand into a proper Amusement Park type with less focus on shows should they continue with the Blue World project tanks?

CDPVZ3-VAAAg1Kc.jpg

I certainly hope this is true. Not only is it what SeaWorld needs but the one coaster type Florida is lacking is an airtime machine. Interesting!

:)

Seaworld have announced at a sales
Conference today they are Building a new thrill coaster for 2016- they have said it will be 200ft tall and be Orlando's tallest, fastest, longest coaster (well until 2017 skyplex opens) more details will be announced in May. I imagine will be a B&M. Good news about time orlando got a B&M hyper.

Indeed, here is what SeaWorld have said:
SeaWorld said:
Something is stirring beneath the surface at SeaWorld Orlando, preparing to rise from the ocean depths and soar to thrilling new heights. Get ready for the frenzy of SeaWorld’s new 200-foot-tall coaster. In 2016, this thriller will take its place atop the food chain as Orlando’s tallest, fastest and longest coaster. More details on the new addition will surface in late-May. SeaWorld is a one-of-a-kind theme park with a variety of attractions including awe-inspiring animal encounters, thrilling rides and spectacular shows. Follow #nothingfaster as the frenzy starts.

Very exciting! Glad to see that they still have money for this considering how much they are spending on the new whale enclosures across the whole brand.

It's got a 70 mph top speed and a length of 4,429 ft. I assume it's going to be a B&M, considering Manta and Kraken are already at the park and looking at the shape of the land it's go to fit in it doesn't look like it'll work well with the current trend of twisty Intamin hypers.

Sounds like we can expect something on the same scale as Apollo's Chariot, its stats are as follows:

Length: 4,882 ft
Height: 170 ft
Drop: 210 ft
Speed: 73 mph

That would suit me down to the ground!

SeaWorld will be annoucning more details of the coaster two weeks today on May 27th.

thumb_image_11746.jpg

Announcement in a few hours. I have seen 9am local time mentioned for a media event so anytime from 2pm onwards here.

SeaWorld have been sending a crane up as well:

thumb_cf8hk22woaap2_-.jpg

Could well be for shooting some sort of promotional video. Going to be interesting to see if this is Mack or B&M.

Very early days in the annoucement but just come across this on Twitter:

CGA6o10W8AE1tP9.jpg:large

Looking like a B&M Mega called Mako. I'm sure there will be more very soon!

I agree and disagree. Of course variation is great and we know manufacturers such as Intamin and Mack are capable of producing coasters with good airtime. You no longer have to go to B&M to get a top quality coaster. But at the same time B&M are still the best. You know exactly what you are going to get and you know it will be a crowd pleaser. They also tend to look more substatial than tri-track coasters.

Before I went to either park there was always something that stood out to be about both Busch parks - they both have three top quality B&Ms. Now from 2016 SeaWorld will have the same. The park needs something that is guaranteed to be a hit following all of the killer whale backlash. The company clearly have a very good relationship with B&M, they know it will achieve the required high throughputs at peak times, they know it will last a long time.

Intamin are plagued with issues, they would be too big of a risk for SeaWorld right now. Mack are relatively new to the thrill market and are yet to produce a pure airtime machine on this scale; once again it would be a risk that the park probably don't feel they want to take. B&M is a guaranteed win for all parties.

Orlando is also long overdue an aitime machine so this is a welcome addition to the destination's offerings.

Anyway, some more images from various sources on Twitter from today's annoucement:

CGBFJQ4UoAIuP5R.jpg

CGBFNK-UgAAtJS7.jpg

CGBJqXXUsAAjprf.jpg

CGBFMirUUAAuH6-.jpg

Certainly shares similarities to Nitro's layout.

I agree with Dan that Orlando (other than Disney) is heavy on B&M coasters, but as Rob says, they are reliable. My only thought is it is another sit-down coaster, although it is the tallest (and we know this sort of marketing can work) its not very unique when there aldready is Hulk and the sit-down B&M at Busch, plus Kumba is just a floorless sit-down, the only selling point of the new one is the height and speed. Although it does make me want to go to SeaWorld when we do Florida again next year.

Orlando does lack a hyper coaster and coaster that has lots of airtime so this fits in perfectly. Plus like what's already been said seaworld have had enough issues so they need a ride that won't have any issues and will open on time. Last thing they need is a ride opening delayed like falcons fury was at Busch gardens last year.

I don't dispute the credentials of B&M.

This just isn't anything majorly unique. Like, we know how this will feel and ride.

Of course, I am sure it'll be good.