• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

I can't stand being in Epcot for an entire day, however I do enjoy splitting it up across multiple evenings.

I can't stand being in Epcot for an entire day, however I do enjoy splitting it up across multiple evenings.

and for me evenings are the best time at Epcot as you get to see Illuminations.

In fact the fireworks are why I need at least one evening at each Disney park, just to fit in all the night shows.

Any more rumours about manufacturer or anything?
A few of us have heard Premier Rides (no, it won't be a Sky Rocket II), but someone has heard Intamin also. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a Premier, Intamin or Mack. Those are the 3 obvious launch coaster companies that SEAS work with.

A few of us have heard Premier Rides (no, it won't be a Sky Rocket II), but someone has heard Intamin also. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a Premier, Intamin or Mack. Those are the 3 obvious launch coaster companies that SEAS work with.
Ah right, thanks @MakoMania!

Kayla, a Killer Whale in her 30s has passed away at the park. I am absolutely devastated.

She did reach the lower end of the average lifespan range for females, but it is unusual for them not to reach the upper average band (Katina (SeaWorld Orlando) is approaching 50, Corky (SeaWorld San Diego) is in her mid 50s) so this has come as a shock.

RIP Kayla, you will be missed.
latest

Of course the average lifespan of a killer whale in the wild is 50-80 years so this is another obvious example of SeaWorld's mistreatment of the species.

Of course the average lifespan of a killer whale in the wild is 50-80 years so this is another obvious example of SeaWorld's mistreatment of the species.
That is complete unfounded rubbish spewed out by activist organisations like PETA.

The Alaska Fisheries Science Center independently concluded in 2014 that the average wild lifespan of Killer Whales based on studies of the southern resident population was between 30 and 50 years.
Independent organisations like NOAA and the American Humane Association also conclude likewise.

From NOAA:

Male killer whales typically live for about 30 years, but can live from 50 to 60 years. Females typically live about 50 years, but can live from 80 to 90 years.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/killer-whale

I would conclude that even by NOAA's own estimations, she lived short of their own estimated lifespan, only by just though. So it is up for debate what the reasons could be I guess.

Not gonna lie, it’s slightly concerning. While I’m very (very) sure Sea World would never mistreat animals in their care, keeping animals in captive environments in general is not exactly an optimal situation. No man made enclosure can or will ever come close to a natural habitat that is as vast and diverse as the ocean. Of course, I do still understand that whilst it’s a far from ideal situation, quality of life of these animals can still be maximised with the right care.

From NOAA:

Male killer whales typically live for about 30 years, but can live from 50 to 60 years. Females typically live about 50 years, but can live from 80 to 90 years.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/killer-whale

I would conclude that even by NOAA's own estimations, she lived short of their own estimated lifespan, only by just though. So it is up for debate what the reasons could be I guess.
You can't just take a value for "Killer Whales". You have to look at the specific ecotype, of which there are estimated to be over 20. Many of SeaWorld's whales have mixed ecotype lineage, which makes the calculation more complicated.

All of this is done before facilities are accredited by organisations like American Humane and AZA. SeaWorld has 100% accreditation.

In terms of outlandish figures being thrown around (70-90 years etc). That would be like saying that since the oldest person in the world lived to 114 years, every person should live to be 114, and if they don't then there is something wrong. Clearly, that is ridiculous.

I'd say the whale did well to last that long. Personally I don't think I'd be able to live in a bath tub for an over hour, never-mind that many years.
Must be a pretty good bathtub if you can breach, dive, have social interactions in it etc.

I get the space concern, it's legitimate. But a bathtub is not an accurate representation.

At the end of the day, people are perfectly entitled to believe activist misinformation and post catchy one-liners about bathtubs online to get likes, but it won't change the fact that the vast majority of marine biologists and animal welfare organisations (people who actually know what they are talking about) support SeaWorld and accredit their high standards of care and welfare. Examples include:

-World Wildlife Fund
-American Humane Association
-AZA
-NOAA
-Conservationist Jack Hanna
-OCEARCH organisation
-IMATA
-HSW Research Institute
-Cetacean expert Dr Kelly Jaakola
-Animal welfare expert Julie Scardina
-Texas Marine Mammal Network
-Alaska Sea Life Rehab & Research Center
-Alaska Fisheries Science Center
-Florida Fish & Wildlife Institute

By reading this thread it is obvious that many members on here know about cetacean welfare far better than the experts above.

Sometimes facts aren't popular, indeed it appears to be the case here.
All I'm saying is that people can't criticise the Daily Mirror about their "HORROR RIDE SMASH" articles anymore whilst at the same time engaging in the exact same levels of ignorance and misinformation when it comes to other issues such as this. People do not know what they are talking about.

This post won't make me popular and I don't like to have a go, most of the time I try my best not to, so I'm sorry to be so blunt.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to disagree here, but the place for such animals is in the sea.
If Seaworld spent serious money on much larger tanks for their captive animals then I would be happy to view the organisation more positively, but they seem to be spending far more on rides than on improving the environment of their captive animals.
But as far as positive attitude goes...keep drinking the Kool aid Mako!

I'm sorry to disagree here, but the place for such animals is in the sea.
If Seaworld spent serious money on much larger tanks for their captive animals then I would be happy to view the organisation more positively, but they seem to be spending far more on rides than on improving the environment of their captive animals.
But as far as positive attitude goes...keep drinking the Kool aid Mako!
Of course you will recall that it was actually activist organisations who blocked the proposed Killer Whale habitat expansion in San Diego.......

All those independent research biologists, veterinarians and animal welfare experts must be drinking kool aid too.

Only problem is, most people don't call facts kool aid :confused:

The bottom line is, no matter how well they're looked after - they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Stealing the animals from their families and open ocean homes in the first place is inexcusable. I watched Blackfish with an open mind, and can see the good that SeaWorld do, but that scene was heartbreaking.

And no - I'm not an expert, and I couldn't give a toss how said industry experts can justify the above.